I just got the Echo Chainsaw deal at Home Depot. 50cc model 4910,

There are a lot of negative reviews for an Echo product, mostly about them not starting. I was thinking of getting one and putting it away unused for the future, but that’s not a great idea if it’s broken from the start. Of course, who knows how goofy the people who left those reviews are? There’s no telling what they were doing wrong.

There are a lot of negative reviews for an Echo product, mostly about them not starting. I was thinking of getting one and putting it away unused for the future, but that’s not a great idea if it’s broken from the start. Of course, who knows how goofy the people who left those reviews are? There’s no telling what they were doing wrong.
The saw does not have a primer bulb. It requires full choke and many pulls to initially prime it, with the compression release pushed in. After that, it is easy to start, and each day, it's been no more than 3 pulls when cold.

There has been some talk of adding a primer bulb. But, I've not found a need. Starts every time. I've now used the saw quite a bit and I give it high marks.

I was thinking that too but I think the carb diaphragm would probably not last.

The saw does not have a primer bulb. It requires full choke and many pulls to initially prime it, with the compression release pushed in. After that, it is easy to start, and each day, it's been no more than 3 pulls when cold.

There has been some talk of adding a primer bulb. But, I've not found a need. Starts every time. I've now used the saw quite a bit and I give it high marks.
Engines didn’t used to have primer bulbs and it wasn’t a big deal. Even my 40yo snapper starts first pull when I set it on choke.

I don’t get the issue…?

Just picked up this saw. First, I think any negative reviews would be from folks who don't know their way around small 2 stroke engines very well. Second, I've started the saw about half a dozen times already, and if you use the proper procedure (pull past compression, choke on, press decomp, pull to first "pop", choke off, pull til it starts) it's about a 3-4 pull affair. Not a hard starter at all. Initially thought it would benefit from a primer bulb retrofit, but now don't see any need.

I like Echo 2 stroke OPE. I have an Echo weed whacker and an Echo edger. I will be buying an Echo pole saw shortly.
This chainsaw will serve you well.

These saws are easy to flood. I learned that. I was having a discussion one evening in my garage on gas vs electric with my brother. I went to start my cs400 and it was a no go. I had forgotten to turn the switch on and I flooded it.

There was another thread yesterday about 4910's and I figured I'd copy paste what I said there for anyone that has one of these things, I like my captive bar nuts..

"Nice I have a 4910 and its a good saw. You're lucky to get one as its already been discontinued and replaced by the inferior (IMO) 4920.. 4910 is just a CS-501 with a plastic handle and no captive bar nuts for $100-150 less.. I went to my local echo dealer and bought the CS-501 captive bar nuts and put them on my saw for less than $10."

Back