Looking for an air ratchet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a good reasonably priced air ratchet, to complement my impact gun and air drill. I noticed a Craftsman professional for about $90 in 3/8" drive with 70 lb of torque, and a 1/2" drive with the same torque for about $130. I thought the 1/2" might have more power and I could use it with a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer. As it turns out for $90 I'm probably better off with the 3/8' drive tool. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

3/8" is a much more useful size in your hand and i and around the tight spaces on your car. ..if you need a 1/2" socket, the torque is likely high enough on that big fastener to require an impact anyway.

Use only impact sockets with it, even the air ratchet will beat up/break regular sockets.

Go for the best quality you can afford. My IR has been great.

Looks like the Ingersoll Rand Air Ratchet 3/8" Drive Model 109XP is the way to go. Thanks keep the suggestions coming.

I have a 1/2" Chicago Pneumatic air ratchet that was the most powerful available at the time. I hardly ever use it. I also have a 3/8 Snap-On that I bought used in a package with a "Whizzah" (New England for cut off tool) and 3/8 drill. I use that all the time and don't know what I would do without it. You don't need Snap-On, but any good quality compact 3/8 will become indispensable.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Looks like the Ingersoll Rand Air Ratchet 3/8" Drive Model 109XP is the way to go. Thanks keep the suggestions coming.

I don't think you would find one better.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I don't think you would find one better.

I like the push button trigger, it can't get hung up on anything.

Originally Posted By: outdoorsman310
what are you using it for? home use or at a shop?

Working on my cars.

lol Yeah, they can be knuckle busters, especially if they pin your hand so that you can't let off the trigger.

Originally Posted By: AVB
lol Yeah, they can be knuckle busters, especially if they pin your hand so that you can't let off the trigger.

Is there any advantage to an impact wrench with the same design? HF has some that say they're impact wrenches.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Get a reactionless air ratchet if you can. Save them knuckles.

This is the old one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-Knu...f=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

EDIT: 16 years old and still going.

That is what the impact design question I asked was referring to in a round about way. I just didn't know what to call it. Thanks!

I guess Ingersoll Rand Air Ratchet 3/8" Drive Model 109XP is a knuckle buster then?

When choosing a 3/8" air ratchet you'll do well to choose one with a lower profile over one with more torque. Normally you'll mostly need maximum torque only for breaking loose a bolt to unscrew it and it's no bother to turn the ratchet a few degrees by hand anyway. When there isn't enough clearance to fit the tool where you need it to be, any old rock you find on the ground is just as good of a tool.

The nice thing about a knuckle-buster air ratchet is that it gives you a lot more control over final tightening torque. It doesn't really take much practice at all to learn to control an air ratchet, but occasional slip-ups are going to happen. If you can tolerate a little pinch on your fingers for a few seconds then go with the knuckle buster. If you're more comfortable dealing with an occasional broken bolt or stripped threads choose an impact.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
When choosing a 3/8" air ratchet you'll do well to choose one with a lower profile over one with more torque. Normally you'll mostly need maximum torque only for breaking loose a bolt to unscrew it and it's no bother to turn the ratchet a few degrees by hand anyway. When there isn't enough clearance to fit the tool where you need it to be, any old rock you find on the ground is just as good of a tool.

The nice thing about a knuckle-buster air ratchet is that it gives you a lot more control over final tightening torque. It doesn't really take much practice at all to learn to control an air ratchet, but occasional slip-ups are going to happen. If you can tolerate a little pinch on your fingers for a few seconds then go with the knuckle buster. If you're more comfortable dealing with an occasional broken bolt or stripped threads choose an impact.

Here's what prompted this thread. I'm starting to develop arthritis in my fingers from years of working with a paint brush. The impact gun I have makes certain tasks a snap, so I thought it might be time to use air tools more when working on the cars. The last thing I want to do is smash my knuckles, and honestly I wasn't thinking of that until it was brought up in this thread. So know I have to start thinking about an air ratchet that won't smash the fingers, and isn't so big that it won't fit in small places. Then I want a button instead of a lever if that exists. Basically I'm back to the drawing board, but thanks for all the replies! Keep'em coming..

A knuckle-buster won't really smash your knuckles into things most of the time. It'll pinch you on the base segment of your fingers between the base knuckles and middle knuckles. I don't know if that will aggravate your arthritis. An impact won't do that, but in general it should vibrate more.

What I really like if you have the room to use it is a battery powered 3/8" impact.

3/8 air ratchet’s are all but useless on a car. The fact is there is usually no room to use them. They may look small but after the air hose is attached all maneuvering room is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back