List of Purolator failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 302 ford that uses the 30001 filter
Have any of these big filters had failures ?
I dont think I have seen any posted

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I have a 302 ford that uses the 30001 filter
Have any of these big filters had failures ?
I dont think I have seen any posted

Don't think so. Huge filter, lots of media, never seen one with tears. I'd rather have a Motorcraft FL-1A for that though.

I use both
I got the p1 @pep boys with coupon for buy 1 get 1 free last year and plan to use them up.
I do an oil change once a year-about 5000 miles on my old truck and I have 2MC in stash also so I am set for the next 4 yrs
Maybe by that time Purolator will have fixed these issues
Not counting on it though

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Updated with the filters from Provi and cb4017.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...amp;usp=sharing

Code:
Failures by model type Failures by product line

14610 6 PureOne 9

10241 5 Classic 9

14459 4 Bosch 4

14006 2

14460 2

12222 1

14477 1

24651 1

For years I've been using the PL14612 specified for my car, even though the PL14610 was the same just about a half inch longer. I finally decided to go for the larger filter (PL14610) about a month ago, and now I see it's the most reported Purolator with media tears.

My P1's have manufacturer codes made in January 2014. I'm hoping they fixed the issue by then, but I'm not banking on it. I'm only going to use the two filters I have for short OCIs, probably around 3k miles each.

I've always used PureOne oil filters on my car, but after reading about the tears I bought some Fram Ultra filters to hold me over, and then finally decided to start using Wix/NAPA Gold filters after that. I really hope Purolator recognizes the problem and fixes the issue soon.

I still have 9 purolator filters and they are all in the top 3 of that list and i use synthetic and run long oci.

Maybe use them for shooting practice?

I'm going to use napa/wix or toughguard for the upcoming oci. Shame on you, Purolator.

Are you also compiling a list of Purolator filters that did NOT fail? It would be interesting to see the ratio of failed vs non failed filters.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any posts on the Mann Filters (Black Can - US Made)? Failures or non failure ? I've got a stash that I'm on the fence about using. One is the L14459 clone for my Honda.. I'm tempted to throw caution to the wind and run it for at least 5k and see what it ends up looking like ,you know...for science. But my logical side of thinking bothers me and screams "Why chance it , go buy a Fram Tough Guard or Ultra and be done with it!!"
shocked.gif

Last edited:
These Purolator and Bosch and possibly Mann oil filter failures are spin-on filter only, NOT cartridge oil filter.

I don't know the quality of Purolator cartridge oil filter, but I can vouch for Bosch and Mann cartridge oil filters, they are top notch cartridge oil filter, especially the ones made in Germany for MB engines.

Great that OP made the list, Thanks!

It would be interesting to add to the list the datecodes of filters that have not had tears... may be able to see which are affected and which not.

If you guys think there is a manufacturing problem, then look closely at the second last character for assembly line -- all on the list have D or E. The Quaker State filters I have for my Toyota come off of line B and am wondering if evidence that B (or other line) is affected.

Any FL-820S Motorcraft filters being witnessed as failing?

The 3V VCT Modular 5.4L V8 is sensitive to any filter shedding and ruins the heads because there are no replaceable cam bearings in them.

Originally Posted By: 229
Any FL-820S Motorcraft filters being witnessed as failing?

The 3V VCT Modular 5.4L V8 is sensitive to any filter shedding and ruins the heads because there are no replaceable cam bearings in them.

Have not seen any reports of Motorcraft filters tearing (so far).

Originally Posted By: wing0
I still have 9 purolator filters and they are all in the top 3 of that list and i use synthetic and run long oci. Maybe use them for shooting practice? .
If you don't want your 14610 or 14612 PureOnes send 'em to me. ;-). Even with tears they still fitter better than Hondas part.

Last edited:
I emailed James Murray at Pureoil yesterday regarding my concern about the pleat spacing and torn media showing from the Fayetteville plant. Although I don't know if it's isolated to that plant.

I'd encourage others to send messages to them and relay concerns. Nothing would change if customers never cut these filters post-mortem.

^^^ Purolator is well aware of the tearing issue. What they are doing about it is unknown.

Another thought I had regarding the noted widely-spaced media near seam. In a MFG drawing there would be a +/- tolerance on a glued seam ... otherwise the production line could glue them in any fashion. Having a look at the drawings would be very insightful ... I'm speaking figuratively as I realize we'd never get them.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Purolator is well aware of the tearing issue. What they are doing about it is unknown.
Internally well-aware is one aspect, but hearing complaints from customers is another. When it hits them financial and through negative PR, things will change.

This bothers me because there was a known issue, but they probably did a cost / benefit and thought it not worth fixing ... since who's going to know anyway??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back