List of Purolator failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
WAKE UP PUROLATOR!! You lost me as a customer but gaining me back won't be hard if YOU FIX THE PROBLEM and convince me you've done so. So far I'm not impressed.

This site performs a great service to ones who take time to use it.
Guess I wont be buying Purolator filters. Only have one, will use it and check it out after about 6000 miles. Will all the filters on the market, no reason to take a chance just because I LIKED the name Purolator!

TomHunter, that was the past.

Recent years have developed this:

Purolator has a serious problem, and they are trying to fix it by denying it exists. That's not a good move on their part.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I made the table mostly to see if there were any common threads to the failures. I'll respond to all the questions and requests here.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Point of information, what requirements if any are needed to be listed on the spreadsheet?
There was no requirement, but I included usernames to that anyone performing a more thorough investigation would know whom to ask.

Originally Posted By: TomHunter
I would hope no one takes anything posted seriously without doing some independent vetting of both the source and science.
Agreed--my goal was not to start collecting evidence for any sort of official action. It's just a place to start an investigation.

Originally Posted By: TomHunter
- Line 6 and Line 7 appear to be the same date and same user
That user reported two failures (one P1, one classic) in that thread.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Awesome work.. a spot with the date code break down would be iceing on the cake
Done.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Should any of the Bosch line be included? I have recently posted pics of the Bosch Premium 3330
I had already included them, but I added a column to cross-reference Bosch filters to Purolator numbers.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
The most important thing will be to determine how many times those filters fail as a percentage of total production. Is it one in a million? If so, that is negligible. But if it is one in 20 filters or worse, that's bad. If it is 10%, that's totally unacceptable.
Agreed, but that data can't be obtained from BITOG threads. I would estimate about 1/3 of the Purolator/Bosch threads I looked at contained failures, but I would guess that a lot of BITOG users are now cutting open their Purolators and that very few of the intact samples get their own threads started. So I would guess the failure rate is a small minority, but still 10-1000 times larger than Mann/Purolator would like it to be.

TomHunter, that was the past.

Recent years have developed this:

Purolator has a serious problem, and they are trying to fix it by denying it exists. That's not a good move on their part.

Exactly, I see ol' TomHunter (formally known as Wilhelm_D here) has been stalking me down on other websites now to try and glean information that touts Purolator as a great filter. Like Cristobal said, that was then, this is now.

Of course Purolators are great oil filters. My viewpoint of Purolator filters still stands on everything I've said in the past about them ... but only if they don't have holes in the media! Is that really hard to understand by anyone? Apparently not only two guys around here: Wilhelm_D and TomHunter so are really the same guy.

Loyal Purolator filter users as discouraged that Purolator could let this problem go on, and therefore are jumping ship until they know the problem has been fixed. Purolator filters are not the only decent filter on the market at the present time. People want to use a filter that doesn't have a high possibility of failing in service. Again, is this concept so hard to understand?

And BTW TomHunter ... I hope you like your vacation down there is Disneyland with Wilhelm. How was that coffee this morning with all those coffee grounds in the cup due to a torn up coffee filter?
whistle.gif

Zee0Six, I will still use my PureOne; it is the only Purolator in my stash. But I have put it last in line along with the STP E-Core I have. Neither will be used past 6000 miles under any circumstances. I will buy no more Purolators for at least five years as there are other makes available.

People who say Purolator has no problem remind me of people in the Los Angeles Times who say that California is a great place for business; and that companies leaving there for Texas are run by deluded fools falling for Texas propaganda.

People who say Purolator has no problem remind me of people in the Los Angeles Times who say that California is a great place for business; and that companies leaving there for Texas are run by deluded fools falling for Texas propaganda.

x2

Updated the spreadsheet with the latest report.
Code:
Failures by model type Failures by product line

14610 6 PureOne 8

10241 5 Classic 7

14459 2 Bosch 3

14460 2

12222 1

14006 1

14477 1

Updated the spreadsheet with the latest report from ThirdeYe.
Code:

14610 6 PureOne 8

10241 5 Classic 8

14406 2 Bosch 3

14459 2

14460 2

12222 1

14477 1

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Updated the spreadsheet with the latest report from ThirdeYe.
Code:

14610 6 PureOne 8

10241 5 Classic 8

14406 2 Bosch 3

14459 2

14460 2

12222 1

14477 1

Just a heads-up that the filter I dissected that had the tear in the media was a 14006. Great job on the report, btw! Nice to have this information.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Just a heads-up that the filter I dissected that had the tear in the media was a 14006. Great job on the report, btw! Nice to have this information.
Thanks for the catch. I had your line correct on the spreadsheet, but I had that typo in the summary table.

Anyone have insight into why its only filters beginning with "1" that are having problems?

Luckily the one I use begins with a "2".

You can add mine to the list, but it was an older date:

Bosch 3410
Date installed: June 6, 2011
Date it was removed: July 20, 2011
Miles on filter: 3945
Mile on vehicle: 10011
Oil: MC 5W-20 Syn blend

Mine looked more like a manufacturing defect where the pleats were not properly glued in place. I posted it about that time.

I had another one later on, but because I don't have records of it I can't really list it. IT was either on my Jeep or Truck.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
Anyone have insight into why its only filters beginning with "1" that are having problems?

Im pretty sure that the PL20195 has a glued seam, not a metal crimp. A theory has been floated that the glued seam models are not suffering from media tears. Do all of the "2xxxx" models have glued seams?

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Sam2000

Im pretty sure that the PL20195 has a glued seam, not a metal crimp. A theory has been floated that the glued seam models are not suffering from media tears. Do all of the "2xxxx" models have glued seams?

Yes, the 20195 does have a glued seam. You could be right that all 2xxxx models have glued seams - guess nobody has actually dug in to it verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back