Kreen in 3.0L Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing is not to overfill or turn the engine over at all. Basically its just filling a metal or aluminum pan with fluid, the screen is at the bottom of the pan so it will be totally immersed in cleaner.
Just a note. I did soak a lot of rubber seals and gaskets in this stuff for days with no ill effects just to see what would happen to them. Still i wouldn't do it deliberately.

The ounce or so left over after thoroughly draining will be washed away with the cheap oil and drained it poses no danger.
The car should also be as level as possible.
This method works pretty well and is a viable solution for cars that need extensive disassembly to remove the pan, e.g. sub frames, steering racks, exhaust crossovers etc.

Yes screen blockage is something i would be concerned with also.
If there is a good amount of junk in the pan the last thing you want is to have that stuff getting picked up and going to the the pump then into the oil galley after the filter goes into bypass.

Hmm, interesting Trav, I believe I heard something like that but completely forgot about it. I might try it . Not sure when, I need to find time and place where and when I can leave car for that time with carb cleaner in the pan. Maybe coming spring, I'm planning to take 2 week vacation and go to Europe. So I might do it before ant leave it sitting with cleaner for 2 weeks.
Ans yes I do use fuel system cleaners/valve cleaners most fillups(and used some MMO), I used LM valve cleaner(picture in ARX thread where I got chunk of sludge on cyl 1 plug, after use) twice, bunch of Shell v-power and gunk and ect., which I get for like 2$ or less from Biglots,ones in a while. I buy like 5-10 of them at same time. There is gunk high mileage cleaner or stp in the tank right now(not sure, was in rush), have 1 shell left, plus full tank of shell midgrade gas, next fill will be premium.I do rotate 87,than 89(90), than 91-93. Mostly use Shell and Speedway, on long trips if I have choice I stop at those+BP. Also thought of using Amsoil fuel cleaner after reading Artem's thread(about his exhaust tip). And yes, fuel filter was changed to Wix less than 7k miles ago.

about ultrasonic generators-- great idea too,thanks. If I will have a chance to leave it In garage(in one of the rental houses I might have access) for 2 weeks filled up with carb cleaner and ultrasound generator attached to the pan for about 2 weeks, that should be interesting experiment and it should clean it up in theory very good. then train and rinse with dino oil for about 5 -10 min, than short runs for 1k, 2k, 3k, than back to synthetic oil for 5k.

Quote:
Drain the oil and reinsert the drain plug, fill with 6qts of carb and parts cleaner. Do not fill it up to the gasket or crank, 6 qts in a 4.5- 5qt pan will fill the pan but not enough to have seals etc sitting in it.
You want it in the pan only!

I've heard along the same lines Trav but done w/diesel fuel by some old timers back in the 70's. I would think that would be more gasket friendly.

Yeah, I talked today with some experienced mechanic(and later service manager at Mitsubishi dealership), whom helped me to take apart stuff before and clean it. He said that back there they used to use diesel and kerosene on older cars and some period of time ago, before all those super duper additives. He also mentioned to fill it(at least half of fluid)thru dipstick hole with some pressure if possible.
About ultrasound he said it makes sense. Actually his major is Electronics and IT in some part,but life turned him to mechanic path for 15 years. Also there is 2 more guys whom are professionals in electronics,whom I know, than might help and be interested. They all used to work on a secret factory in Ukraine back in USSR times, that was producing famous rockets, that whole world was afraid of during cold war times...So it should be interesting project to do next.
I not mechanic guy at all,I'm IT person. Just used to work in car shop for 6 months and mostly self learner in this case.
Still remember old school "soviet" style professor from my first University back there, that was answering student's questions like "why do we need to study this b.s.?" (like computer schematics or dimensional geometry and charting), he was saying that:"Engineers supposed to know everything,or at least figure out how it works and no matter what it is". So I'm following that.

Look at the pictures in these threads and you will get some idea of what you maybe dealing with. I removed the pan because it was pretty easy.
Kerosene is not working as good as the carb and parts cleaner, that stuff really melts these deposits. I used it exclusively to clean this engine.

This engine has had plenty of miles since, no issues whatsoever, it runs perfectly without oil consumption or smoke.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2162573#Post2162573

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2170735&page=1

Pics on page 1&3

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2166571#Post2166571

Originally Posted By: Trav
Look at the pictures in these threads and you will get some idea of what you maybe dealing with. I removed the pan because it was pretty easy.
Kerosene is not working as good as the carb and parts cleaner, that stuff really melts these deposits. I used it exclusively to clean this engine.

This engine has had plenty of miles since, no issues whatsoever, it runs perfectly without oil consumption or smoke.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2162573#Post2162573

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2170735&page=1

Pics on page 1&3

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2166571#Post2166571

Looks very nice,like new. So if my engine takes 5q/5 liters of oil, i should fill it with 6q of carb cleaner or +-1 ?
I was wondering could ultrasound damage sensors? Or heat up pan too much to damage something or cause a fire(carb cleaner is pretty flammable.)
I googled ultrasound cleaning devices and ect. and found that it's been used in restoring cars, cleaning whole parts and oil/fuel pumps for example. Also jewelry and watch mechanisms.
It all depends on power output,why I'm worried, because I have ultrasound humidifier and it heats up water, and it has tiny like quarter size generator... So wondering which power output and frequency should be safe in my case...

Last edited:
5 or 6 quarts will do it. the carb and parts cleaner is not the same stuff that is in spray cans, its thicker and has less fumes. Kerosene is also flammable but some flushes use it with the engine running.

A few hrs of ultrasonic is all it needs after sitting a few days, 50-60w will not heat up 5-6qts of fluid more than a few degrees, certainly no where near warm or flash point.
I use a 400w unit for injectors that holds 8 qts and it hardly heats the liquid unless you turn the 300w heater on.
Do not leave the ultrasonic running 2 weeks.

The unit i posted can be mounted externally, you don't want to try putting it in the pan. i will just vibrate the deposits loose in the liquid.

Keep the oil cap on and dipstick in until you drain it, then vent it.
If you are unsure just forget the ultrasonic, it helps but isn't a must.

Originally Posted By: Trav
5 or 6 quarts will do it. the carb and parts cleaner is not the same stuff that is in spray cans, its thicker and has less fumes. Kerosene is also flammable but some flushes use it with the engine running.

A few hrs of ultrasonic is all it needs after sitting a few days, 50-60w will not heat up 5-6qts of fluid more than a few degrees, certainly no where near warm or flash point.
I use a 400w unit for injectors that holds 8 qts and it hardly heats the liquid unless you turn the 300w heater on.
Do not leave the ultrasonic running 2 weeks.

The unit i posted can be mounted externally, you don't want to try putting it in the pan. i will just vibrate the deposits loose in the liquid.

Keep the oil cap on and dipstick in until you drain it, then vent it.
If you are unsure just forget the ultrasonic, it helps but isn't a must.

No, I was not going to mount it inside... I just had a thought to plug it with the timer, so it will run for example at 5pm for 2 hours, then shut off. Or I could just leave it running overnight and ask someone to come over and unplug it.

I guess it's one of the most experimental
smile.gif
on same car. There is one more called same but Auto RX in 3.0 camry instead of kreen.
So far I seen smoke only on first 3 start ups. Looks like kreen piston soak helped along with new gaskets and manual cleaning. Cheked oil level, it was full, but I drove only 175 since than. Will se after full week. Usually it was somewhere in the middle between marks.

unfortunately no, my father threw it away with some construction trash... I trained oil almoust right away, filter that I had for 875 miles(stp) felt little heavier than usual. Next fram that I used for 5 min flush felt usual. Both are gone. All filters I cut before used to have some little crud pieces. Some silverish color when I used LM MoS2. Probably will add some when I will have time. Had good experince with it.Moving to new place coming day offs...so car will wait.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
. I trained oil almoust right away, filter that I had for 875 miles(stp) felt little heavier than usual.

It sounds like Kreen or maybe one of the other oil additives may have done something.

Quote:
Next fram that I used for 5 min flush felt usual. Both are gone. All filters I cut before used to have some little crud pieces.

Sounds like some cleaning is still going on, keep us posted, you are giving us alot of valuable information.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Ok here is some pics:
That's what I saw right after I removed front cover
266265_2232449010764_1234067970_32762607_3552790_o.jpg

Closer look at right side:
278421_2232450850810_1234067970_32762613_984342_o.jpg

Closer look at the left side(oil return hole)
277416_2232449970788_1234067970_32762610_5319026_o.jpg

closer:
272366_2232451650830_1234067970_32762614_164895_o.jpg

some poop out:
279356_2232452250845_1234067970_32762615_3287281_o.jpg

Now I will be able to put funner in to fill oil, and take a look what is going on inside.Woohoo, dremel rulez.
266334_2232453610879_1234067970_32762616_1233700_o.jpg

Intake finally off the engine. It was pita...
272570_2232454370898_1234067970_32762618_7522977_o.jpg

To be continued...

you should post these pics on franks site!!

Smoke is on and off,randomly,mostly there is no smoke at all, but if it is just little tiny puff which is gone right away after 1-2 sec.Compering to the clouds before- it's nothing. Valve cover gaskets looked not bad and fresh, O type(spark plug wells) were more hard, and might be never changed.(I changed them all). I double checked oil level today,it looks like it doesn't go down. Usually I added at least half a quart in 200-300 miles.
Seen some coolant smoke on red light, couple days ago. Stopped checked everything for about 10 min, revved engine. Don't see anything. When I opened hood looked like smoke came out near throttle body, which was gone right away. Will check it later, need to install gasket between throttle and intake body anyway, it felt under the car last time and I missed it. So all little hoses will be removed again.
I'm not sure what did the most improvement, but I believe: manual cleaning of PVC valleys in valve covers and Kreen piston soak.

thats good news! i bet the piston soak helped alot!!! this engine may benefit from another. if your out of kreen mmo will do.
it seems to have come a long way since you bought the car, but im betting its still got a way to go. i think i would keep some kinda cleaner in it at all times if it were mine, at the least 20% MMO.

anyway thanks for the threads. very informative

That it is my plan for right now. There is lots of gallon jugs on sales. I'm buying them little by little. I have like at lest 8 jugs already. Only 2 synthetic doug, but planning on getting 2-3 more PP jugs. My car takes 5q, so that 1q will be MMO. Next oci will be synthetic, I believe it's better for the winter, and I don't like being under the car on cold floor. My back hurts after that, and got cold couple times after it. So If next drain will be in october-november, I should be fine till spring.

any chance you post some fill hole pics to show us how its progressing? im interested in seeing what another run of arx and rinse will do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back