Kohler CH730 oil option

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a well used CH730 on a stump grinder with over 700 hard hours on it. I am considering switching over to a HD 15-40 oil for the warm months. Any opinions on this change? Will the lifters be affected with the heavier oil? Just want to extend this motor as far as possible.

10w-30 conventional oil is the factory spec for your engine. A company in California uses this engine in a sever application and their operations manager told me that they switched to a synthetic 5w-30 with excellent results. They make their purchase from a local parts store and buy which ever 5w-30 synthetic is on sale. They've been doing this for 5 years or so with excellent results. He said one key to making this engine last is keeping it clean especially the oil cooler and air intake and fins, and making sure the crankshaft spline is lubed a bit more frequently than suggested in the manual. He said to tell you that if you have one engine don't worry about the expense of a couple of quarts of synthetic oil. Just buy it and be done with it.

BSL- I used 15w40 in my Kohler Command V-twin, Courage V-twin and old girl K-series. Zero effect on the hydraulic lifter system the Commands use.

From what I've experienced, Commands strictly on a conventional 10w30 diet seem to get a little bit smokey and leaky around the 500hr mark. Will 15w40 prevent this? I have no idea. The heavier-duty oil makes me feel better is all.

Kohler recommends 10w30, they don't require it.

40wts are an ideal oil IMO for old K-series and the lesser built Courage engines.

In case you haven't discovered this, Motorcraft FL400 (or color of your choice) oil filters are a great oversized option for Command V-twins.

I've got nothing against 10w30, I just make sure it's an oil designed for small air cooled engines, not an automotive 10w30.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input guys. I was considering synthetic also, will prob try that on the next OC along with the larger filter. The engine is getting tired but is still getting the job dome. We do make sure it is kept clean, every little bit helps.

Synthetic is never a bad thing for these small air cooled applications, but with regular oil/filter changes, heavy-duty, diesel and/or fleet oils will accomplish the same thing for you for less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back