Neighbor gave me a generator!

My neighbor is an older gentlemen, real nice guy. He had this KingCraft 5000W generator that he brought over. Said he can't get it to fire, hard for him to pull over, and that he bought a new electric start generator. He brought it over to give to me. I was shocked, excited and very thankful. I do have, and told him, that I have a 2200W Honda Eu little guy. I told him that and also said don't feel bad if you want to sell it to make some funds, but the impression I got was that he is (A) well off and fine and (B) would rather see someone who tinkers with engines/cars/etc. and who could use it... use it.

Checked the oil, pretty dirty. He said it can't have more than 15-20 hours on it. Looking up the model, seems like this was sold by Sears back around 2005. 13hp engine, likely China made. Single cylinder. Takes a little over a quart of oil.

Choked it, turned on the switch, and 4-5 pulls, it dialed to life just fine. It is a little tough to pull over, but it runs excellent. Very thankful and it'll be a nice unit. Might even put a transfer switch in the house.

My goal soon here will be to fire it up, run it and get it warm. Dump and refill with Mobil 1 Euro FS 0W-40, change the plug to a new NGK (whatever it crosses to), pull the bowl, clean the carb and look in the tank.

IMG_3493.jpeg

IMG_3496.jpeg

IMG_3497.jpeg

Excellent! I have a similar unit that I have thought about getting rid of, as I also have a smaller inverter unit, but the big one is useful for powering my small welder and air compressors away from the house.

I run HDEO 15W-40, usually either SuperTech or Mobil 1300.
I noticed that these Chinese engines do benefit from a squirt of TCW-3 oil in the fuel tank.
After I started adding TCW-3 at 500:1 ratio, (that's 5oz per 20 gallons) - my Black Max generator starts much easier after sitting, combustion chamber looks cleaner than when I got it (I bought it used), and zero rust in the fuel tank, due to TCW-3 leaving a light coating on the tank internals. I was worried that it may start coating and clogging my carburetor, but it seems to actually keep it clean and happy. Mine is same as pictured. Helped many times so far, especially in the previous house I rented.
Screenshot_20240408-073622~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240408-073604~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240408-073614~2.jpg

I run HDEO 15W-40, usually either SuperTech or Mobil 1300.
I noticed that these Chinese engines do benefit from a squirt of TCW-3 oil in the fuel tank.
After I started adding TCW-3 at 500:1 ratio, (that's 5oz per 20 gallons) - my Black Max generator starts much easier after sitting, combustion chamber looks cleaner than when I got it (I bought it used), and zero rust in the fuel tank, due to TCW-3 leaving a light coating on the tank internals. I was worried that it may start coating and clogging my carburetor, but it seems to actually keep it clean and happy. Mine is same as pictured. Helped many times so far, especially in the previous house I rented.
View attachment 213008View attachment 213009View attachment 213010
I do have some TCW3 on hand, I think I'll put a touch in there with some Marine Stabil to stabilize the thing since it might sit. Also might look to add an hour meter -- the style that you wrap around the spark plug boot.

In the next 5-7 years we want to build a new house on property we will purchase. I can see this guy here being instrumental in getting a new home built/use at new land before line power is in. Sweet!

Nice! I've been wanting a big 5kW unit, been reluctant to spend the coin, as I rarely need one. I do have one of those invertors, and it sips gas, and is enough for lights, internet and the fridge. Just barely does the furnace--and won't touch my well pump. So I'd love for someone to just gift me a generator like this!

Well worth the effort to have a transfer switch put in. Just label the switches, I had to spend a bit of time chasing that info on mine (came with the house).
1712584534660.jpg

That reminds me, I think I need to run a line and add an outlet for the internet, have that run off the breaker that does lighting... it's fiber so if the power goes out I don't have a phone either. I forget if I ran that line now... project for next weekend.

Nice! I've been wanting a big 5kW unit, been reluctant to spend the coin, as I rarely need one. I do have one of those invertors, and it sips gas, and is enough for lights, internet and the fridge. Just barely does the furnace--and won't touch my well pump. So I'd love for someone to just gift me a generator like this!

Well worth the effort to have a transfer switch put in. Just label the switches, I had to spend a bit of time chasing that info on mine (came with the house).
View attachment 213026

That reminds me, I think I need to run a line and add an outlet for the internet, have that run off the breaker that does lighting... it's fiber so if the power goes out I don't have a phone either. I forget if I ran that line now... project for next weekend.
So just to ask cause I haven't ever had one. A transfer switch can only do individual circuits? Or can you get a transfer switch where you swap between line power and or generator power, sit it before your panel, and run an entire home? Maybe that is overkill?

5000w wont run a home.. it might not even run an electric dryer.. (on high) or electric hot water heater (5500w)
you also have to balance the circuits. since it has a capacity of 2-21?amp legs for 120v.
so dont run a toaster and a coffee maker on the same side of the generator as the fridge.(at the same time)

IIRC you subtract 240v loads from both legs and 120v loads from a single leg.. and it can make "5000" seem small real fast.

For whole home I wouldnt go smaller than 10k.
5k should be select circuits and you have to be careful what you have on what.

Disclaimer: I'm strictly an amateur. If a pro wants to correct anything I'm all ears.

For the NGK plug they are available with 2-3 different caps. I forget what they call the solid snap on cap, I bought one at Oreillys and it had the threaded top and I didn't have any threaded caps laying around. If you need to just call NGK. I ended up ordering from them, cheaper anyway. (I also needed 8 for our 2 jetskis and have been thru the fake plug thing before.)

So just to ask cause I haven't ever had one. A transfer switch can only do individual circuits? Or can you get a transfer switch where you swap between line power and or generator power, sit it before your panel, and run an entire home? Maybe that is overkill?
Pretty sure you can get either. I've only had ones where it switched individual circuits, but I'm quite sure you can get whole house transfer. Am guessing whole house is probably more expensive, but then you don't have to figure out which 5 or 6 circuits you can have.

We bought a 12000 btu window unit to run off our 5000 watt generator. It will run it, then shut it off and run the well, shut it off, run our 40 gallon electric water htr, etc. It will get you by for a while providing you can get / have gas. Also have one of the new lithium battery powered units that puts out 120 volt ac. Just plug stuff into it. Use it at night to watch TV, lights, fans. No noise or gas, just sits on the floor in the house! Recharges the next day off the gen in an hour. Cool!

FWIW, I don't have tons of electric need. Water tank is gas, forced air natural gas furnace, gas dryer. I do have A/C. Majority of my appliances only use electric for their blowers or motors. But I can see the kW need going up when adding more and more.

Last power outage, my Honda Eu2200i ran almost all I needed about 1700watts running usage.

Nice gift! It looks like a "Chonda", a Chinese clone of a Honda GX series engine.
I've got a few on various OPE and they have been great engines.
I would concur with using a HDEO 15w40 in a hot climate. I'm in a moderate to cool area of Northern NY, and I have used Amsoil 10w30 small engine oil in mine.
I've got a Predator 6500 (5500 running watts, 6500 surge) with a similar engine, we had a 24 hour power outage over the winter and was able to run my house reasonably well as long as you manage your electric loads.
Was able to run my well pump, 2 fridges and a chest freezer, 50" TV and a bunch of lights.
Just don't run all your higher demand stuff all at once.

How cool! Great neighbor! @redhat, I wonder if your neighbor got this unit back when we had that October snow/ice storm in ~2006. (I think that's when it was?), when full neighborhoods had no power for weeks. SO many people bought generators around that timeframe. So many of them fell into disrepair. This unit falls kind of in the early-ish Chinese import zone. Not a bad thing. I remember ordering one off eBay for my parents house in West Seneca back them. Use caution around all the rubber and plastic bits. Those are always the weakest link on these in my experience. Fuel lines will need to be replaced. Fuel shut-offs, recoil will likely break, wiring insulation and terminals will crack and the carb will get finicky. All stuff you'll be able to address no problem.

Back