Kansas City Chiefs.. back to back winners

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players are told what to pick if they win the toss. They're not out there winging it.
Of course. That’s why I think he didn’t know the rules and was in CYA mode in the press conference. Giving Mahomes the ball after your possession is terrible. If Mahomes scores a touchdown with the first possession then you know you have 4 downs to work with instead of kicking the short field goal and then losing.

I bet on the Chiefs as the Niners playoff wins over GB and Detroit did not leave me impressed. Can’t say I’m surprised but when my wife says “why did they want the ball first?” I knew they were doomed.

In case anybody wondered why Kansas City didn't use a time-out (when they had two) with just seconds left in the OT quarter. It wasn't their 4th down, so even if the OT quarter would have ended, another 15:00 min OT quarter would start, and KC would just continue their play to complete their turn at possessing the ball.

Shanahan said he wanted to ensure the 49ers got the ball first if the score was still tied after both teams possessed the ball (as it becomes sudden death after both teams possess it once). It ended up backfiring as the CHIEFS DYNASTY knew what they needed--field goal to tie and touchdown to win! Great game!! It going to be perfect weather for the victory parade on Wednesday: clear and 60.
I think it becomes sudden death as soon as KC got possession of the ball. Sudden death doesn't start after both teams have had full possession one time. Meaning, sudden death doesn't start if the 49ers would have gotten a 2nd round of ball possession. If that was the case, then KC wouldn't have won it when they did with the pass for the TD with only a few seconds left in the OT period.

It might turn into an advantage to have a 2nd possession of the ball, but only if the score is tied after the first OT period. But once the 2nd team gets it's first possession, the the game then becomes sudden death.

Since the 49ers scored, the Chiefs were in 4 down territory; there would be no punt. Of course this is a huge advantage.

Since the 49ers scored, the Chiefs were in 4 down territory; there would be no punt. Of course this is a huge advantage.
Of course, since the only way the 49ers would have got a 2nd possession of the ball in OT is if the Chiefs kicked a field goal and tied it.

But since it was 1st and goal with 10 seconds left, they obviously went for a TD and the win with sudden death. And they didn't stop the clock with a time out before the winning play for the reason I gave above (post 83). If the clock would have went to zero, a 2nd OT period would have started and KC would still have possession. Go to time 19:20 in the linked video.

Last edited:
It might turn into an advantage to have a 2nd possession of the ball, but only if the score is tied after the first OT period. But once the 2nd team gets it's first possession, the the game then becomes sudden death.

Of course, since the only way the 49ers would have got a 2nd possession of the ball in OT is if the Chiefs kicked a field goal and tied it.

But since it was 1st and goal with 10 seconds left, they obviously went for a TD and the win with sudden death. And they didn't stop the clock with a time out before the winning play for the reason I gave above (post 83). If the clock would have went to zero, a 2nd OT period would have started and KC would still have possession. Go to time 19:20 in the linked video.

The NFL playoff rules specifically states that sudden death does not start until after both teams have had one possession to score in OT. By definition, sudden death means the game is over as soon as a team scores ANY points. As such, sudden death was not in effect on KC's OT possession. If it was, the Chiefs could have won by scoring a field goal with the final score KC-22 and SF-22.

The NFL playoff rules specifically states that sudden death does not start until after both teams have had one possession to score in OT. By definition, sudden death means the game is over as soon as a team scores ANY points. As such, sudden death was not in effect on KC's OT possession. If it was, the Chiefs could have won by scoring a field goal with the final score KC-22 and SF-22.
How can what you said in bold be true when KC won the Super Bowel with the TD play with 10 seconds left in the OT period, and the game was then over with still 3 seconds left on the clock after the winning play? Watch the video I posted in post 88 above. Sudden death started as soon as KC got the ball after the 48ers scored the field goal. If it wasn't sudden death, then the 49ers would have gotten the ball again with 3 seconds left in the OT period. But the game was over as soon as KC scored making more than 3 points.

It's still a sudden death OT period, just not the same kind of sudden death OT period as defined before the rule changes for OT play. The old sudden death rules were messed up and illogical, because basically whoever won the coin toss have a complete advantage to score first. No wonder the rules were change.

Last edited:
As such, sudden death was not in effect on KC's OT possession. If it was, the Chiefs could have won by scoring a field goal with the final score KC-22 and SF-22.
Per the new rules, both teams have a possession. Sudden death starts when the 2nd team (KC in this case) first gets possession. How could KC won by scoring a field goal when the score was 22 to 19. Scoring a field goal instead of the touch down would have tied the OT game (meaning nobody has won yet), and the game would have continued into a second OT period.

Bullet #3 is what I'm talking about. KC won with a TD with 3 seconds left in OT play. If KC would have made that TD with 3 minutes left in the OT period, the game would have also been over ... by "sudden death" to the 49ers.

1707805073047.jpg

Last edited:
Shanahan is not ready for prime time. In the third quarter they completely gave up on the run. Shotgun with empty backfield = Chiefs blitz. They were only effective when under center with a running back.

How can what you said in bold be true when KC won the Super Bowel with the TD play with 10 seconds left in the OT period, and the game was then over with still 3 seconds left on the clock after the winning play? Watch the video I posted in post 88 above. Sudden death started as soon as KC got the ball after the 48ers scored the field goal. If it wasn't sudden death, then the 49ers would have gotten the ball again with 3 seconds left in the OT period. But the game was over as soon as KC scored making more than 3 points.

It's still a sudden death OT period, just not the same kind of sudden death OT period as defined before the rule changes for OT play. The old sudden death rules were messed up and illogical, because basically whoever won the coin toss have a complete advantage to score first. No wonder the rules were change.

The core issue is that we disagree on what the term "sudden death" means in football. The only definition of sudden death in the NFL rules is for regular season games:
  • Sudden death play — where the game ends on any score (safety, field goal or touchdown) — continues until a winner is determined.
The terminology "sudden death" does not even appear in the latest rules for NFL playoff games; however, it seems that your interpretation is that sudden death means as soon as a team establishes a lead in the game. That interpretation is not what appears in the rulebook.

However, I agree that if the Niners had not scored in their OT possession, sudden death would essentially be in effect upon KC's OT possession.

So tired of all the Hoopla over the chiefs. I enjoy the games but this is OTT. Every local newscast has had at least 5-7 of Rah-Rah for the last 3 weeks. Yes it started a few days before the the AFC Championship game. Red has always been my favorite color. Not so much anyone. Growing fond of Military Green.

The 49ers were doomed after the first half. They were dominating the Chiefs but only scored 10 points. You could see what was coming. It was a rather typical NFL game, decided by 3 points. This is what the NFL wants all games to be: close to the end. The days of blow out wins in the SB are gone. The talent in the NFL is too widely spread. My opinion: as well as Mahomes played, the Chiefs' defense was the real starring squad of the game. Good for them.

The 49ers were doomed after the first half. They were dominating the Chiefs but only scored 10 points. You could see what was coming. It was a rather typical NFL game, decided by 3 points. This is what the NFL wants all games to be: close to the end. The days of blow out wins in the SB are gone. The talent in the NFL is too widely spread. My opinion: as well as Mahomes played, the Chiefs' defense was the real starring squad of the game. Good for them.
I had the same thought and knew they were doomed when they stopped running the ball in the 3rd qtr. The coaches have to eat that. Shotgun + empty backfield = KC blitz every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back