Finally time to retire

That's a misconception about HIPPA . If he has Sick Leave or Medical Insurance benefits the employer has to know certain things in order to administrate those benefits .

Yep, someone can’t say they have cancer and expect their employer to pay short / long term disability without any proof / medical verification(s).

Just told the chief pilot I'm leaving. I've talked about this here before, but finally talked openly with the chief pilot today, and despite some rather heated arguments on other matters, he mentioned that he is working on additional personnel, to work with, and eventually replace me when I leave. I'm in my early 60's, and it's time. I have multiple autoimmune issues, and I am slow and tired. Made a real mistake the other day, which was not good. First time for that, ugh. I want to finish out my career without problems.

I'm overwhelmed and I've let it be known, both via email and verbally. So to me, it's a bit of contentious retirement. However, objectively, it's time. I am very slow.

The way I see it, (if they don't let me go first) I could leave at the end of the year, or end of May. As our flight department winters in Florida, where I live and the work load is lighter, as in NORMAL, not easy.

I need to propose a retirement letter, in my typical no fluff style

Suggestions?
Retiring!?!?! Now you will be Tiring Again. I hope you get well as autoimmune is a serious thing. We get overnight shots delivered to the front door. Then we reuse the needles for lubricant oil like on hinges 😂.

My mother had a high ranking position in Govt and after her marker numbers were still high at KU Med the oncologist just smiled and said quit your job. She had enough sick time and pay grade to do it. So she finally did and her numbers went down to single digits shortly after.Still gets white cost syndrome during check ups but It was probably the best advice she got.

Sick pay is insurance for when you're sick. You don't burn your house down (or pretend your house burned down) to collect on fire insurance.

In my main jobs I hardly ever took sick days. In job (1) after 6 years employment I was paid for about 2 months after my last work day to "buy out" my unused sick days. I didn't expect that.

In job (2) after 16 years employment I had virtually unlimited sick days. As a matter of honour I worked up until the day I said I would retire. On my last day my employer put on a wonderful retirement event that I'll always remember. You can't buy memories. After 9 years of retirement I still exchange e-mails with my former boss and my senior staff.

Congratulations on upcoming retirement.

How many years were you in law enforcement ?
Thanks! It will be my third (and final retirement 😁).

39 years and 10 months by the calendar and these extra 2 months will give me an even 40. Had a great career, worked with some of the finest people I know. Saw a lot of things, good and bad, especially changes. Helped deliver 3 kids while out there over the years too. Did just about everything except ride a desk, but my favorite was patrol. Getting out and interacting with folks is very satisfying. Last 6 years were beating the "mean streets". Hope I made a difference. I'm gonna miss it.

That's a misconception about HIPPA . If he has Sick Leave or Medical Insurance benefits the employer has to know certain things in order to administrate those benefits .
Yep, someone can’t say they have cancer and expect their employer to pay short / long term disability without any proof / medical verification(s).
If you go back to my original post #184, you will see that I specifically cited ACCRUED PTO or Sick Leave. Those are earned benefits based upon your time of service and you are entitled to use them without being challenged or be paid for the balance upon severance of employment. The policy may differ between employers but every major company I have worked for in the past 45 years has been consistent with this practice. Also, note that contingent upon your state's regulations, accrued PTO & Sick Leave is not the same benefit as Short Term or Long Term Disability.

In Cujet's case, he DOES have the current shingles issue in addition to his chronic autoimmune maladies.

Last edited:
PTO is yours to use and if you are on PTO then you don’t answer your cellphone.
I don’t think Cujet should have cut his vacation short.

My boss knows not to call me if I’m on PTO cause I don’t answer any calls.

Thanks! It will be my third (and final retirement 😁).

39 years and 10 months by the calendar and these extra 2 months will give me an even 40. Had a great career, worked with some of the finest people I know. Saw a lot of things, good and bad, especially changes. Helped deliver 3 kids while out there over the years too. Did just about everything except ride a desk, but my favorite was patrol. Getting out and interacting with folks is very satisfying. Last 6 years were beating the "mean streets". Hope I made a difference. I'm gonna miss it.
just get home safe and know your "watch" is over. It's not the reward it used to be. Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.

Well, now have to add 60 more days to my anticipated peace out date thanks to the Social Security Administration. Seems when I filed my application, they asked for the month I wanted my benefits to start and I chose the month after I turn 62 (they said you can't pick the month you turn qualifying age). So I chose May and then I get a letter that says I will get my first check at the end of June. Huh? Seems that since they pay benefits the month following, I get May's benefits in June. Geez, ok. Now it's 49 more days of fighting crime and guarding the peace. Again, who's counting.
Hang in there . Time really does FLY!!!! You will be there before you know it. Congrats on getting where you are and ENJOY where you are headed. RETIRED and live on your own terms as much as you can!

I can't believe that I've been retired for 10 years now.
It's one of the best things that I've ever done besides marrying my wife(44 yrs) and having our daughter.
I feel better, happier, less stressed/frustrated and I am busier than ever and loving it.
Retiring doesn't mean STOP. It means opening doors to do other things.

Just told the chief pilot I'm leaving. I've talked about this here before, but finally talked openly with the chief pilot today, and despite some rather heated arguments on other matters, he mentioned that he is working on additional personnel, to work with, and eventually replace me when I leave. I'm in my early 60's, and it's time. I have multiple autoimmune issues, and I am slow and tired. Made a real mistake the other day, which was not good. First time for that, ugh. I want to finish out my career without problems.

I'm overwhelmed and I've let it be known, both via email and verbally. So to me, it's a bit of contentious retirement. However, objectively, it's time. I am very slow.

The way I see it, (if they don't let me go first) I could leave at the end of the year, or end of May. As our flight department winters in Florida, where I live and the work load is lighter, as in NORMAL, not easy.

I need to propose a retirement letter, in my typical no fluff style

Suggestions?
A retirement letter is a great idea and very professional. Indeed actually has a good page about this, definitely take a look.

I can't believe that I've been retired for 10 years now.
It's one of the best things that I've ever done besides marrying my wife(44 yrs) and having our daughter.
I feel better, happier, less stressed/frustrated and I am busier than ever and loving it.
Retiring doesn't mean STOP. It means opening doors to do other things.
+1 (brazzzillion!!!)

Back