Brick Houses? Yes Or No...?

Personally I like how maintenance free they are relatively speaking.

I'm in a high wind area and they don't keep you up all night thinking they're going to blow apart like vinyl siding etc. No painting like stucco etc.

Topped off with a heavy guage metal roof and you have a winner. I prefer mine as a single story with a full basement. How about you ?
Is this a façade over stick built framing or cinder block construction ala SW Florida ?

There are different types of bricks made of various materials, solid, hollow, in various sizes with different thermal properties. Insulating materials like Styrofoam sheets and spray able, expandable foam, and soft foam blocks are used for additional insulation. The outside of a brick building is often covered with roughcast. Brick buildings can be very well insulated, certainly better than something stick- built.
Ah, duh, I've seen stuff like that too. Didn't think hard enough about that...

Is this a façade over stick built framing or cinder block construction ala SW Florida ?
You mostly find stick built these days with real brick and not thin veneer. My personal house is block with standard brick.
First picture is 2x6 wood studs with standard brick.
I say standard because my local McDonald's is brick but it's very thin veneer. I seen a vehicle bumper hit and rip it so I know.

You mostly find stick built these days with real brick and not thin veneer. My personal house is block with standard brick.
First picture is 2x6 wood studs with standard brick.
I say standard because my local McDonald's is brick but it's very thin veneer. I seen a vehicle bumper hit and rip it so I know.

You do understand there is a vast difference between commercial and residential building systems, don't you?

Your local McDonald's is a small steel-framed building with a lot of "cover" over that steel frame. There's systems designed to look good from 15' away, they are merely thin layers of the construction.

I've never seen "thin" brick veneer on a home. It's usually a 2x wood-framed wall, sheathing, tar paper or other vapor barrier, 1" air space and a 4" (nominal) brick resting on a brick ledge on the footing/foundation wall.

You do understand there is a vast difference between commercial and residential building systems, don't you?

Your local McDonald's is a small steel-framed building with a lot of "cover" over that steel frame. There's systems designed to look good from 15' away, they are merely thin layers of the construction.

I've never seen "thin" brick veneer on a home. It's usually a 2x wood-framed wall, sheathing, tar paper or other vapor barrier, 1" air space and a 4" (nominal) brick resting on a brick ledge on the footing/foundation wall.
I have seen many brick-stone etc. as stated.
You need to get up north more.

This looks very nice except over the door.

27-Copy.jpg

Brick is good

My parents stucco house is all cracked because the foundation is thin and not post tensioned or anything so first their floors cracked (tile) and then some places the stucco exterior has small cracks.

If I built a house it would probably be a bunch of shipping containers welded together with a few feet of dirt on top for insulation.

Back