Just for fun / Best sounding car you ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Ford 429 twisted hemi.

BOSS 429? I've never had the privilege of owning that monster but that car is on my top 10 list, and very near the top.

I'll give you the shorter list, which would be engines that sounded bad.
The only bad sounding engine I ever owned was the one in my Vega.
As long as you didn't run it hard, it was okay, but past 4000 revs or so, it always sounded rough and as though it were ready to come apart.
It never did, of course.
It just used more and more oil as the miles rolled on.

My 1968 Olds Cutlass 350ci/300hp. Love the intake roar and had a slightly modified exhaust. Sweet, but 10-13 MPG around town. Would get about 20 mpg on the highway, thanks to small primaries on the Quadra Jet 4 bbl.

440 when you stompped the pedal and the 4barrel kicked in, sounded like it was sucking enough air to start a tornado. loved that whooshing sound.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
No car sounds as good as a Ducati with an Arrow exhaust system.

Taking bikes into consideration, my 2001 Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille R with a Harris exhaust would put some hair on your chest.

my old 81 camaro with the 350 and cherry bomb right of the y pipe and a turn down. my f150 sounds like a 12 valve Cummins when lugged. sounds pretty cool. extremely loud though.

The '69 Charger R/T. 440, Direct Connection .474" hydraulic cam, headers, H-pipe, Flowmasters, 2.5" duals out to the factory resonators/exhaust tips at the rear bumper, the factory AM radio is not working but the real symphony is under the hood. I have the idle turned down to 500 rpm in gear so we can better enjoy the sound and the roar at WOT with the un-silenced air cleaner is like nothing built today.

My Gremlin...401 engine, 6-71 blower, cam geardrive, and chambered sidepipes.
smile.gif

Definitely my old LJ Torana.
186 c.i. 6 cylinder, triple 1-3/4" S.U. carbs, 23/60 cam, headers, and a foot long "cherry bomb"...sounded great.

Second best was a leter model torana with 308 c.i. V-8 and a 3" exhaust, had a bit of a sprintcar note to it (especially on clay dirt roads in the damp), but the Holden V-8 had an oddball firing order that made them sound a little wonky compared to a chev.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Trav
Ford 429 twisted hemi.

BOSS 429? I've never had the privilege of owning that monster but that car is on my top 10 list, and very near the top.

Yes, that engines HP was under rated, it wasn't just the sound but you can feel the engine wanting to get out from under the hood like a wild animal.

The car met a tragic end (totaled while parked by a hop head with no insurance) but the drive train is still in good hands.

'70 Grand Prix 400 with headers, 2.25" exhaust with an H pipe and long glasspacks, Rhoads lifters, open air cleaner, etc. In a world of Chevy small blocks, the Pontiac engine had a unique sound.

I always loved the sound of a Mopar big block, too. My only Mopar was a slant-six, though. It sounded like a sewing machine.

Never had a good sounding car, but plenty of nice sounding bikes. Twins always sound good, best was the Honda XLV750 - a 45 degree Vtwin with 90 degree firing...the Ducati sound. My current BMW has a 2 into 1 and a Supertrapp, sounds pretty aggressive for a BMW.

Originally Posted By: jayg
1993 Skyline GTS-T. RB25, Full Race header, ARC exhaust, t3/t4 turbo. Hi revving and strung out turbo straight 6.

Did you 'grey market' this over here, or were you stationed in Okinawa, or somewhere in the far east??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Silk
Never had a good sounding car, but plenty of nice sounding bikes. Twins always sound good, best was the Honda XLV750 - a 45 degree Vtwin with 90 degree firing...the Ducati sound. My current BMW has a 2 into 1 and a Supertrapp, sounds pretty aggressive for a BMW.

My Honda CR500 sounded AWESOME wide open!! And it was LOUD!! :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back