John Deer or Husqvarna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Steve...since it looks like your leaning towards the Husqvarna to mow 3+ acres, I'd say go ahead and buy it. I don't think either mower will survive more than a few years with that much grass to cut, but you never know. You'll also go crazy going slow enough for the blades to keep up (and do a decent job) while doing that much mowing. Get yourself a water bottle and a good hat. Be careful of spending 100s on a warranty. Did you ever see the commercial with the tree falling on the car and the switchboard operator asking if the tree was a ficus--because only a ficus falling on the guy's car would be covered? Buyer beware. Read the warranty carefully.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

What I'm looking for is a big Deck (that's NOT a straight line), and the Husky has a nice 52 incher that looks like it would make short work of my yard.

I'm nursing an old 42 inch Craftsman with a big one lunger Kohler, and that engine is bulletproof! Since Husky features a 25 hp kohler I was thinking it would be ok.

And yes, I will read that warranty carefully before buying it.

I've worked at Lowe's for years and used to run the OPE department so I can tell you pretty confidently the 100 series we sell is the same mower the dealer sells. In fact the local dealer has to come to the store and de-crate every JD mower and set it up before we can sell it. That being said, I have heard more than a few customers complain that the local dealers take care of all their own customers first and people who bought from the big boxes wait longer for service.

Sorry. I didn't know Deere dealers sold the "less quality" models that big box stores sell. My opinion comes from people beating their heads against my garage wall crying that they thought John Deere was supposed to be the best, and what they bought at a big box store didn't live up to the legend. They wonder why their mowing decks (pulleys, bearings, etc) need to be replaced so soon or why the belts or safety switches only lasted a season and a half, or why their Deere doesn't cut level and make their lawn beautiful after the first few cuttings.
I'll just say that the big box Deere isn't so much better than the Husqvarna that he needs to stress over which one to buy. Get the cheaper one. Just make sure it has a cup holder.

You can have Tony Stewart's pit crew, but it doesn't help if your racing your mom's rusted out station wagon at Daytona.

Also, that's the nice thing about buying a Deere from a dealer, or a Stihl, or Echo from a dealer. They'll kiss your back regions when you come in for routine service or have a problem. Not fair, but it is a fact.

The one thing I have to say about Home Depot and Lowes is they may cuss you when you have a problem with a product they sold you, but they do it after they make a friendly, worthwhile effort to hook you up and send you away smiling. It's that way around here anyway.

I believe the Husqvarna has a 46" deck while the JD has a 42" deck. They are both good riders. It's really a toss up to be honest with you. I actually like the Briggs to be completely honest. You can't go wrong... do you like orange or green more? :)

Thanks guys...

Actually the Husky has a 52 inch cut! It's one of the principal reasons I like it. I have better things to do than spending my time on a riding mower!

Well gang , just wanted to fill you all in.....
My dad gave me his Craftsman garden tractor, about 98 vintage( dark green/ white wheels) I would guess. It has the 20 hp Kohler V twin , 46 in deck. . I changed spark plugs, changed oil to Rotella 15 w 40, NAPA Gold filter , greased/ lubed every thing......washed and waxed it, look'n goooood. It has the manual transmission , not the automatic, oh well.
Kind of an overkill for what I need , but hey. I'll baby it and hope it last. I even ran my California duster on it to keep off the dust.....stupid huh? But I'm smile'n !!!

Thank you all for responding to my original post.....BOB in PA.

Congrats I guess!

I have a 6 year old Craftsman, 42" cut, 20 hp Kohler engine and 5 speed transmission and I mow 2 acres with it.

I have replaced a worn out drive belt and the mower deck belt twice. The last time being my fault when I stupidly ran over a water hose. Locked up the deck and ruined the belt and idler pulley.

I have also replaced the battery two years ago.

All in all, a good mower and I really don't know why everyone gives Craftsman mowers such a hard time.

As for cutting speed? My neighbor has his 1 acre mowed by a guy on a zero turn Exmark and he mows that yard in noting flat, so it seems. But the results are a yard that looks like a drunk with a line trimmer got a hold of it! A 5 grand mower should cut better than that!

Maybe he is going too fast.

But isn't that a selling point for them or any other zero turn mower? I realize that a zero-turn mower will cut some time off of a lawn cutting job.

But in order to cut my mowing of my two acres from 4 to 2, I would also have to move faster...no?

But then, blades on an Exmark will get dull also....

Those lawn care people are alway`s in a hurry,and it shows.Although your talking about the homeowner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back