John Deere LVA16054 hydro filter, 1025R

My John Deere 1025R takes this filter, a LVA16054 for the hydrostatic/hydraulic pump. Literally no one but John Deere makes this filter, excluding 2 knock off aftermarkets.

At $37 a pop from the dealer, or ~$30 online ordered, they are not cheap.

We all can know who makes these from the below picture... Donaldson. Will cut the used one open when I service it within the next month or so here, unfortunately can't cut one of the virgin ones open. Can't see tons cause they're in this bag.

Service manager was surprised I was changing it so early with around 50 hours. Told him I was informed by the dealer (2 years ago during purchase) that the hydro is the first 50 hours, filter, fluid and clean the suction screen and then every 200. I also see that in 2016-era manuals online. He said they no longer recommend that. I just don't love that wordage. Unless there is some drastic equipment change, a 1025R has had the same pump/trans (AFAIK) for the entire run.

I don't know who to believe, but already have a pail of Low-Vis HyGard and filters. I'm gonna go with my gut on this one, especially since this is a machine I plan to keep for life.

1712943497804.jpg

1712943834143.jpg

1712943842832.jpg

1712943455702.jpg

Taking care of the tractor will make it last and last. Those 1025s can work hard.

I have researched this a bit, there are many videos and posts on greentractortalk where people pull out chunks of what looks like casting metal and leftover silicon sealant at 50 hours from the screen filter channel. There is no harm in changing it early. I changed it at 100 hours with regular hygard. I plan on dumping, cleaning the screen, replace the OEM filter, filtering the same hydro fluid back in around 200 hours, then maybe run it to 400 hours before a full replacement. I top it off every now and again because some flies out when I put the backhoe on/off.

I have dumped the same kubota UDT no less then 4 times the past 3-4 months fixing its neverending leaks. No issues.

locally that filter is 28.xx (hartville hardware)

I see offbrand stuff for around 20$ but I would also probably go OEM.. and not chance getting filters made by barefoot indians (from india)

I did send Donaldson an email about it. Maybe they'll come back with an equivalent. I would run a Donaldson.

Taking care of the tractor will make it last and last. Those 1025s can work hard.

I agree. With the year's work starting up, could very easily accumulate 100 hours this season alone.

I have researched this a bit, there are many videos and posts on greentractortalk where people pull out chunks of what looks like casting metal and leftover silicon sealant at 50 hours from the screen filter channel. There is no harm in changing it early. I changed it at 100 hours with regular hygard. I plan on dumping, cleaning the screen, replace the OEM filter, filtering the same hydro fluid back in around 200 hours, then maybe run it to 400 hours before a full replacement. I top it off every now and again because some flies out when I put the backhoe on/off.

I have dumped the same kubota UDT no less then 4 times the past 3-4 months fixing its neverending leaks. No issues.

My thoughts too... I don't see it harming anything at all. Mine being a 2022, still has the quick connect couplers at the floor board. I added a single point connector last year. Also I added the brackets to the 54" deck to pick it up with the loader arms. The stupid brackets hit the quick disconnect couplers and at times make them come unhooked. One is even slightly bent.

So I looked up the 2023+ oil hard lines that go from the SCV loader valve to the single point and ordered them. I am going to convert mine to stop them dumb quick disconnects from every coming un-done again. I figure if I need another front implement that needs hydraulic circuits up front, I'll just get another single point adapter.

locally that filter is 28.xx (hartville hardware)

I see offbrand stuff for around 20$ but I would also probably go OEM.. and not chance getting filters made by barefoot indians (from india)

Haha yeah don't need that.

You're doing hydro service exactly the way we recommend at my dealer. 50 hours first, then every 200 after that on the 1025's.

I know the fill cap/specs call for low-vis in the 1025, but we use the regular Hy-Gard. The only thing we use the low-vis in is residential mowers.

Back