Jaguar problems.

6vxHxUc.jpg

ncUqVbZ.jpg

That old X-Type is my "up North" car, for when I'm there. 225K miles. Mostly 5W-40 TDT, and now M1 10W-40HM oil.
The engine is a Ford 2.5L V6, with Jag's high compression cylinder heads and tuning. 195 thundering HP. 5 speed manual, and very responsive throttle. So it is fun. The engine is known for failing rod bearings, hence the higher viscosity than normal. So far, it's trouble free.

The car utterly cannot tolerate regular fuel, and with sufficient knock events, won't go over 3000RPM and MPG drops to 15 miles per 1/4 tank. So when I'm in NY, pay for 93 octane and the car goes into limp mode, I know I've been scammed. Happens all the time at many top tier gas stations. Only Shell has been 93 octane every single time. Disgusting criminals.

Last edited:
I feel for you! Brakes are the grail for a mech! Easy and profitable. BUT I'd ask is anything easy on a Jag?
Why would doing brakes on a Jag be different to any other car?

The brakes aren’t specific to Jag, on the X351 they are just the same ATE calipers as fitted to loads of other cars.

The only thing to consider is the electric handbrake in newer models, but they are common on most cars for the thick end of 15 years

I can verify that this is true. I bought my 2005 Vanden Plas (49,000 miles on the clock) from a 93 year-old in Toronto. Three days later, I drove the beauty 4000km to Alberta. The previous owner loved saying that, "the car never had a snow flake fall on it". This was true, but because the car had never been driven below 0˚C, a couple of problems developed without him being aware.

I discovered driving through Manitoba (snow pic) that the heater core was partially clogged and didn't work properly on the driver's side.

Then as the temperatures dropped below 0˚C, the air suspension threw a fault code. It appears the compressor needs new seals. The seal kit cost me about $40.00 and I'll the rebuild it in the spring. Otherwise, the car appears to be doing well.
God willing, it'll stay that way.

Cheers
The last of the sexy Jags.....

Not saying anything since doesn't have its appeal, but those were pretty cars.

…..and I just read where the Jaguars produced under Fords ownership were the most reliable Jags before or since

Jeez internet, can’t you agree on something for once !

Z
Totally true. Apart from some leaky air suspension bits and ubiquitous saggy headliners, the 2004-2009 Jaguar XJ-8s are generally awesome. If properly maintained (just like so many other cars), the 4.2L engines seem almost bullet proof.

Interestingly, the parts that can go wrong (like the air shocks, air suspension compressor, 6 speed transmission) are all made by German suppliers like Bilstein and ZF. That said, those parts are hardly problematic.

The former owner of this car has a 2005 Lexus RX330 with the same mileage. It has spent way more time in the shop than this Jag and no one complains about RX 330s being unreliable.

The last of the sexy Jags.....

Not saying anything since doesn't have its appeal, but those were pretty cars.
I, agree. My favourite Jag is a V12, Series III XJ, but the newest one I can find in Canada is from around 1992. I think buying any 32 year old car is possibly more of a gamble than it's worth. This 2005 was my next favourite Jaguar sedan. When I met the owner and saw the car I simply couldn't say no.

Why would doing brakes on a Jag be different to any other car?

The brakes aren’t specific to Jag, on the X351 they are just the same ATE calipers as fitted to loads of other cars.

The only thing to consider is the electric handbrake in newer models, but they are common on most cars for the thick end of 15 years

Guess that one went over your head.

Though people might think otherwise the X-type isn’t horrible. I sold one last Summer and it ran great. The only problem? Electric. The electronic controls for the air con were flaky. New owner was informed, demonstrated the issue, but still laid out his cash.

My niece drove it mainly. She loves it still and looks at them for sale once in a while. The one I sold was the 3.0, and not an easy engine to work on to be sure. But when running well, it was a capable little car.

On modern Jags, You have to perform a series of step by step sequence to the car to put it on Brake Service Mode. The Brake Service Mode should be "ON" while doing brake jobs on a new Jag.

Last edited:
Back