Jaguar problems.

Where are you looking ?

These folks have everything I need.

We are in the middle of the Mojave desert in California.That place. Is 3000 miles away in new Hampshire.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd want to daily an exotic. Much less take it far from home. Fun to own, no doubt, and maybe for a daily just fine, even if it broke down--but Mr Murphy wrote a law about his experiences.

• Love
Reactions: D60
real world doesn’t work this way people need parts asap. for a shop working on jag it’s worldpac or the dealer.
No stealer around here. Maybe in Ontario but that's a couple hours away each way. I don't deal in the parts side here so I don't know who all they use. I just put the parts on.

Much less stress than the construction company where I did everything

real world doesn’t work this way people need parts asap. for a shop working on jag it’s worldpac or the dealer.

I’m in the real world ! My Jag is my daily driver. In the 6+ years and 70,000 miles of my ownership it’s had a total of 4 days of down time waiting for parts.

If people want to drive a Jaguar, which according to a post here has the worst build quality of any make, then they need to learn patience when repairs are needed. It’s no secret the reliability reputation is in the sewer, so buyer beware and no whining if you have to wait two or three days for parts. Life’s an adventure is what I’ve always heard. Controlling every little thing sounds like a bore.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd want to daily an exotic. Much less take it far from home. Fun to own, no doubt, and maybe for a daily just fine, even if it broke down--but Mr Murphy wrote a law about his experiences.

In the believe it or not category, but a visit to the Jaguar forum might be convincing; most of the problems people are having with their 15-25 year old Jaguars comes from letting them sit unused. The daily driver crowd, like me, have the fewest issues. One of the main problems after sitting for a while is the fuel pump seizing up. And in some models getting to the fuel pump takes an act of congress.

Aside from that, cam chain tensioners in the V-8’s made from 1998-2002 were the #1 boogie-man. Those cars have mostly been crashed, retired or fixed by now.

In the believe it or not category, but a visit to the Jaguar forum might be convincing; most of the problems people are having with their 15-25 year old Jaguars comes from letting them sit unused. The daily driver crowd, like me, have the fewest issues. One of the main problems after sitting for a while is the fuel pump seizing up. And in some models getting to the fuel pump takes an act of congress.

Aside from that, cam chain tensioners in the V-8’s made from 1998-2002 were the #1 boogie-man. Those cars have mostly been crashed, retired or fixed by now.
Fair enough, but at the moment I'm 200 miles from home, and while it's a nice populated spot, not one where I could do repairs.

At 25-30k/year I prefer boring cars. :)

Fair enough, but at the moment I'm 200 miles from home, and while it's a nice populated spot, not one where I could do repairs.

At 25-30k/year I prefer boring cars. :)

I’m down to 15,000 a year due to the pandemic. But since I’m retired the miles are 100% pleasure driving with 3-4 cross country trips yearly. So it’s all enjoyable, and occasionally I’ll find a road I’ve never been on before.

I love both my jags

I’ve owned a couple of e types, they never let me down. I can’t say the same about my GM cars, which left me cooling my heels several times on the side of the road awaiting the tow truck.

So far the ‘02 XKR is upholding the standard of style, performance, and reliability that I’m used to having in a daily driver.

Z

A long time ago when I wore a younger man's clothes I had three Jags. Back then they were authentic English kitties. I couldn't probably even spell 'reliability' then and didn't care. The ladies were fascinated with them and maybe that's the Coventry Cadillac's raison d'etre. I don't drive much now maybe it's safe to get another.

BTW, what is a Jag doing in the Mojave desert? Did fall off the tow truck on the way to LA?

A long time ago when I wore a younger man's clothes I had three Jags. Back then they were authentic English kitties. I couldn't probably even spell 'reliability' then and didn't care. The ladies were fascinated with them and maybe that's the Coventry Cadillac's raison d'etre. I don't drive much now maybe it's safe to get another.

BTW, what is a Jag doing in the Mojave desert? Did fall off the tow truck on the way to LA?

Not directed at me, I know, but No tows needed (not like my GM cars). On my cross country trip I drove thru the Mojave on my way to Santa Monica CA. The e type averaged 92 mph for the entire 1,500 miles. And that’s including all stops for gas / food / etc.

the speedometer was buried the entire trip thru the desert; 150+ mpg.

Sweet music.

Z

I've done several brake jobs on my '03 Jaguar S-Type with zero issues. Can't say the same about a Toyota caliper of the same vintage. The bleeder screw was seized and snapped. While attempting to remove it with heat cycling, the caliper fractured. Ugh.

I can't speak for other Jaguar models but overall, the reliability of my S-Type has been good. Only one step below my Toyotas (wink wink Pontiacs) and at least 2 steps above the BMW 3-series I used to own. So far, I've been able to do all the repairs myself. The "Ford era" Jags are probably the least problematic and parts cost/availability is reasonable when you shop around.

FYI, I made a "Top 10 problems" video not long ago:

Someone mentioned fuel pump problems. It happened to me once. It cost me a grand total of $10 and a couple of hours to replace. Making this video took me longer than the repair:

In the believe it or not category, but a visit to the Jaguar forum might be convincing; most of the problems people are having with their 15-25 year old Jaguars comes from letting them sit unused...

I can verify that this is true. I bought my 2005 Vanden Plas (49,000 miles on the clock) from a 93 year-old in Toronto. Three days later, I drove the beauty 4000km to Alberta. The previous owner loved saying that, "the car never had a snow flake fall on it". This was true, but because the car had never been driven below 0˚C, a couple of problems developed without him being aware.

I discovered driving through Manitoba (snow pic) that the heater core was partially clogged and didn't work properly on the driver's side.

Then as the temperatures dropped below 0˚C, the air suspension threw a fault code. It appears the compressor needs new seals. The seal kit cost me about $40.00 and I'll the rebuild it in the spring. Otherwise, the car appears to be doing well.
God willing, it'll stay that way.

Cheers

Attachments

• Man_0967.jpg
    Man_0967.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 20
  • In Edmonton.jpg
    In Edmonton.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Interior_0915 low.jpg
    Interior_0915 low.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 20