Is this oil leaching through a plastic bottle?

Oil for our can-am maverick. Dealer gave me an oil change kit when we bought it a few years ago. I was going to use the oil today but when I opened the box the plastic bottles were gooey and sticky.

Did the plastic bottle leach into the oil? Should I throw it out?

Attachments

• IMG_20231014_145347613.jpg
    IMG_20231014_145347613.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20231014_145351636.jpg
    IMG_20231014_145351636.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 63
Bottles aren't 100% compatible with the Oil . The oil should be fine ..... just put it in another bottle .

You mentioned a few years ago, how was it handled during that time? Since they were boxed, I suppose you don't know the pre-storage condition. I only ask that because I've used many quart size bottles of oil that were at or approaching the 10 year mark, and I've never seen anything like that.

I see some Castrol Edge (blue bottle) in the photo and those look okay. The XPS must have been super old stock that the dealer gave you, was mishandled somehow or it's just junk packaging.

I would set the suspect oil in the sun for a few hours side by side with a known good quart of oil. If the suspect oil bottle feels compromised in any way compared to the other oil bottle: softer, thinner, easily ruptured, etc. -- basically anything that tells you the plastic is not right, I wouldn't use it.

You mentioned a few years ago, how was it handled during that time? Since they were boxed, I suppose you don't know the pre-storage condition. I only ask that because I've used many quart size bottles of oil that were at or approaching the 10 year mark, and I've never seen anything like that.

I see some Castrol Edge (blue bottle) in the photo and those look okay. The XPS must have been super old stock that the dealer gave you, was mishandled somehow or it's just junk packaging.

I would set the suspect oil in the sun for a few hours side by side with a known good quart of oil. If the suspect oil bottle feels compromised in any way compared to the other oil bottle: softer, thinner, easily ruptured, etc. -- basically anything that tells you the plastic is not right, I wouldn't use it.
Ya I put the edge in instead of the cam-am oil due to the bottles condition.

Looks like those bottles spent the last 2 years baking in a 120*F shed. Storage conditions matter.

Back