Is any synthetic REALLY better at cleaning than others?

This is my understanding. But with all the posts about people taking a used car they just got, a car with infrequent oil changes, etc. and running X-brand oil for a couple of 1000 mile drain and fills to clean things up and whatnot, I was curious where that idea was taken from? Is there actual data saying M1 or QSUD or whatever will clean better than Kirkland or NAPA or whatever else?

I run about 7500 miles which is a change about every 5-6 months. I'm not worried, personally, but tend to run the cheapest, name brand synthetic I can find. Or TGMO if I take it to the dealer. But if someone has actual scientific data saying the extra $5-10 for a more expensive name brand will leave a significantly cleaner engine I'd contemplate it.
2017 Corolla is easy on oil your oil change interval is fine on super tech or Kirkland. If you had a vehicle that was turbo or direct injected I would consider sending an oil sample out to see if you really needed to change anything. You could do a sample regardless, you may find out with the Corolla you could go 10k on those oils.

This is my understanding. But with all the posts about people taking a used car they just got, a car with infrequent oil changes, etc. and running X-brand oil for a couple of 1000 mile drain and fills to clean things up and whatnot, I was curious where that idea was taken from? Is there actual data saying M1 or QSUD or whatever will clean better than Kirkland or NAPA or whatever else?

I run about 7500 miles which is a change about every 5-6 months. I'm not worried, personally, but tend to run the cheapest, name brand synthetic I can find. Or TGMO if I take it to the dealer. But if someone has actual scientific data saying the extra $5-10 for a more expensive name brand will leave a significantly cleaner engine I'd contemplate it.
Generally, engine oils don't "clean". They "keep" engines clean.

Is there any data, aside from the anecdotal "data", of a synthetic oil that will remove varnish and sludge significantly better than others? Over the years some people make claims of this or that oil leaving varnish and running a specific brand at a short interval to clean things out. Personally, I roll my eyes a bit at these "anecdotes". Given the name brands in the $25ish price at, say, Walmart or Costco or NAPA on sale, is one going to make my engine internals super clean and shiny compared to others? And if so, where's the comparison data that's not from some random, unscientific YouTube type data source. If not, thanks for helping me sleep at night because I use whatever brand is about $20 for 5 quarts. Or TGMO if I'm lazy and let the dealer do it (they do say they use TGMO).

IMHO what people are trying to clean is the stuff that doesn't hurt anything anyway.. based on photographic evidence I think it is a waste of time and money... OTOH if a person uses the correct oil and changes it on a regular basis ( like before it turns to putty) the engine will stay clean enough to last as long as the vehicle.

IMHO what people are trying to clean is the stuff that doesn't hurt anything anyway.. based on photographic evidence I think it is a waste of time and money... OTOH if a person uses the correct oil and changes it on a regular basis ( like before it turns to putty) the engine will stay clean enough to last as long as the vehicle.
I think it worth where you can change oil as find brand viscosity that cleans old engines gunk too . It will all in one .

I think it worth where you can change oil as find brand viscosity that cleans old engines gunk too . It will all in one .
hey, if English is your second or third language I could understand this reply, but say you need to try explaining yourself better.
If English is your primary language... WTH are you saying?

hey, if English is your second or third language I could understand this reply, but say you need to try explaining yourself better.
If English is your primary language... WTH are you saying?
Saying it good idea buy oil that clean and protect engine at same time because major oil companies prices $18 to 30 for 5 QTs jugs.

Saying it good idea buy oil that clean and protect engine at same time because major oil companies prices $18 to 30 for 5 QTs jugs.
they all clean and protect.. if a person changes the oil frequently enough.. so yeah.

they all clean and protect.. if a person changes the oil frequently enough.. so yeah.
I agree some extent but it some oil will be better than others for example Mobil 1 extended performance and pennzoil ultra platinum was good cleaning engine then another brand I have used in my cars. Like new oil vavoline planning to lanch 2024 days clean up 100% old sludge in 4 oci that blod claims never seen before by any company.YMMV

I agree some extent but it some oil will be better than others for example Mobil 1 extended performance and pennzoil ultra platinum was good cleaning engine then another brand I have used in my cars. Like new oil vavoline planning to lanch 2024 days clean up 100% old sludge in 4 oci that blod claims never seen before by any company.YMMV
Valvoline partnering with the govt to kill off gas vehicles?

Varnish under the valvecover is usually a later-stage presentation of oil that’s been overwhelmed by either duration or heat. The first place these deposits will show up is in the oil control rings, and that most certainly can harm things.

It happens at different rates in different engine families, but there have certainly been several engine families haunted by your “harmless” buildup in the oil control rings… remember Toyota’s oil burners?

Just as @ZeeOSix has said repeatedly about oil filters, that cleaner oil has never been shown to be detrimental, so it is with deposits of any kind inside the ring pack and solenoids/phasers etc.

Think of the VC area like an iceberg… by the time you see the bad stuff up top, there is likely a sizeable amount of that similar stuff in places you can’t see.

When the new Valvoline (restore) comes out some here will run it and post an oil filter with a bit of something in it … the crowds will roar !!!
But, some will say it did not beat the benchmark 👀 etc …
Odds are it will be used in a clean engine that always had a good lube - when it’s actually needed for those that have been on $39.95 quick changes and two mile trips to work … They won’t use it …

Back