Has anyone been running long OCIs (10K) on synthetic other than Mobil 1?

pbm

I know that Mobil 1 can go 10K because Tig1 has been doing it for years with great results. I have never done 10K on an OC and probably never will (7500 miles is about my limit and I've only gone over it once....8200 when away from home for months and lot's of highway miles). If I accidently went over 7500 I'd feel better if Mobil1 regular or EP or Castrol Gold Edge were in my engine.

Has anyone ran other (non boutique) synthetics on a regular 10K OCI interval? I'm sure some have inadvertently done it but I'm asking about someone like Tig1 who has done it regularly with other than Mobil1?

I feel that virtually all synthetics can do 7500 miles in my vehicles. I'm asking this question to build my confidence in other brands if by chance I should exceed my personal limit.

Last edited:
10,000 miles easily on the more expensive 0w40 Delvac, Duron and Rotella HDEOs.
I went 50% over OLM on a V6 Benz with 0w40 Duron to find out.
UOA indicated it could have gone much further.

I know that Mobil 1 can go 10K because Tig1 has been doing it for years with great results. I have never done 10K on an OC and probably never will (7500 miles is about my limit and I've only gone over it once....8200 when away from home for months and lot's of highway miles). If I accidently went over 7500 I'd feel better if Mobil1 regular or EP or Castrol Gold Edge were in my engine.

Has anyone ran other (non boutique) synthetics on a regular 10K OCI interval? I'm sure some have inadvertently done it but I'm asking about someone like Tig1 who has done it regularly with other than Mobil1?

I feel that virtually all synthetics can do 7500 miles in my vehicles. I'm asking this question to build my confidence in other brands if by chance I should exceed my personal limit.
When I was putting on the miles I would routinely go 10k miles on BMW dealer oil (Shell, then Castrol).

All euro spec oils are formulated for 10k miles.

Last edited:
I know that Mobil 1 can go 10K because Tig1 has been doing it for years with great results. I have never done 10K on an OC and probably never will (7500 miles is about my limit and I've only gone over it once....8200 when away from home for months and lot's of highway miles). If I accidently went over 7500 I'd feel better if Mobil1 regular or EP or Castrol Gold Edge was in my engine
All engines and operation of vehicles are different are different. That being said I have been doing yearly oil changes with syn oil since 1974.

10k is what our manufacturer recommends. 10k is what we do. Not sure what oil the dealer puts in when they change if for us. But never a problem.

All engines and operation of vehicles are different are different. That being said I have been doing yearly oil changes with syn oil since 1974.
What mileage do you accrue in that year? Do you use whatever synthetic is available or one brand in particular?

Almost every BMW from like 2000 to today has done 10k OCIs with Castrol or Shell as mentioned above. Almost everyone sticks to the dealer fill during the 36 month “free” maintenance period. So, there’s an absolute ton of Euro cars that have done this.

Well, you said no boutique oils, but 10K is the interval I've been using on my 2011 Ranger pickup (4.0 SOHC) since going to Amsoil Signature 5W-30. The oil is claimed good for 25K. 10K works out to about a year on the fill anyway, and Amsoil recommends changing after a year. Sent a sample to Blackstone this time when I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago.

Has anyone ran Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic with extended 10k+ OCI for many oil changes with no issues from sludge/varnish?

Last edited:

I think there are 2 criteria to evaluate: Wear metals, and engine varnish/sludge.
I think any full synthetic can go 10k OCI with low wear metals on the UOA.
But that is only half the story. How much sludge/varnish it leaves behind is an important criteria that should be considered.

I run per the Honda MM which calls for changes between 7 and 9500 on.

M1
Idemitsu Zepro
Valvoline
Napa (Valvoline)

My experience with my 2017 Toyota Camry SE so far

Before I learned about about OCI and other things about cars, I did dealer 10k OCI every time. My car got TGMO every 10k miles all the way until 85k miles. Since then, I been doing 5k/6 months OCI.

I been running M1 AFE since 85k but I been doing a lot of short trips lately and I noticed about 3/4 quart would burn off per OCI. This is my first run with Castrol Edge so I'll see how it holds up with all the short trips.

My experience with my 2017 Toyota Camry SE so far

Before I learned about about OCI and other things about cars, I did dealer 10k OCI every time. My car got TGMO every 10k miles all the way until 85k miles. Since then, I been doing 5k/6 months OCI.

I been running M1 AFE since 85k but I been doing a lot of short trips lately and I noticed about 3/4 quart would burn off per OCI. This is my first run with Castrol Edge so I'll see how it holds up with all the short trips.
The oil burning could be the beginning of dirty piston rings / oil control rings.
You might want to do a few piston soaks with Berryman's Chemtool B12.

The Toyota dealers don't use TGMO from what I have read. They use the cheapest bulk oil in a drum.
They could even be using 5W-20 conventional instead of 0W-20 Full Synthetic and be pocketing the difference.

The oil burning could be the beginning of dirty piston rings / oil control rings.
You might want to do a few piston soaks with Berryman's Chemtool B12.

The Toyota dealers don't use TGMO from what I have read. They use the cheapest bulk oil in a drum.
They could even be using 5W-20 conventional instead of 0W-20 Full Synthetic and be pocketing the difference.
I'll continue to monitor the dipstick with this run and see what happens. Those 10k runs were mainly highway miles, I use to work construction but since 85k, I changed careers so mainly city driving. The Toyota manual does state that burn off is normal in stop and go and city driving.

Did 9300mi on the wife's Subaru with Valvoline Advanced - she racks up fast, and long interstate highway miles - usually about 23K/yr so a perfect candidate. Did a UOA and it came back as perfect as can be. It's been posted here a couple years ago. Also did a similar follow up next OCI with another "lower tier" oil. Also pretty good report. That was the N.A. P.I engine.

Flip that driving pattern to 30/70 HW/Rural - and I wouldn't be so assured.

Back