:::Is Any New Truck Worth Buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NDL
Between Ford, Chevy, and Ram, are any worth buying?

More specifically, I'm the kind of guy who will buy a base model truck, and drive her into the ground. Right now my sixteen year old Ford has 195k on the clock, and at some point I will be looking for a replacement.

My concern is that, with the exception of Chevy/GMC, the low(er) end powertrains are often car based. And the new diesel options (e.g. Colorado), and those in the upcoming Ram (3.0), and Silverado (rumored 4.5), were designed by companies that are not well known in the U.S.

Can the new, sophisticated, car based, 4's and V6's hold their water against the traditional truck based counterparts? What about the new diesels that are coming from Europe? I know that Europeans drive diesel powered vehicles, but I know nothing of their long term durability.

Those diesels were developed by a joint venture between the Italian company that now supplies them and GM. The 2008 crisis forced GM to divest it's interest, but the motors were basically well in development at that time. So, RAM is using what was supposed to be GM's light diesel.

Not sure about the light diesels GM will be using but if the Europeans are good at anything, it's light diesels. I don't see an issue.

CKN in Utah said earlier in this thread that BITOGERs vehicles average 7 years, or words to that effect. I would've thought it was much higher since the national average is right at 12 (last time I heard). If anything, trucks are kept longer.

Just asking

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I agree. Some buyers don't mind paying $50K+ for a truck.

Problem is that many buy much more of a truck than what's really needed.

Or don't need a truck in the first place.
wink.gif

It's pretty amazing. You can get a new truck without spending an insane amount of money, and still have a decent engine option, provided you forego the 4x4 and the extended cab, which isn't an issue for me. But, if you want to dump $80,000, they'll let you.

Trucks are popular. I ask people why they daily drive trucks and most tell me they just like being in a bigger vehicle. Ok. I get by with a car on the daily and I have my beater F150 that I love. Yeah, it won't haul a big old trailer but I don't need to. Thankfully.

I bought my 2006 GMC Sierra Denali new with the INTENT of this being my only truck for as long as possible. I purposely chose the Denali model because at that time the Denali model was truly special with features not available in the other trim levels. I wanted the 2-tone leather, the AWD and 6.0L LQ9 Hi output engine. None of this available in lesser trims. The truck is loaded, has 151k miles, still looks new and runs great. Only problem I ever had is the sunroof leaks at times and I have to keep the water drains cleared out. Otherwise - an outstanding truck and because I bought EXACTLY what I wanted - I have no need to trade in for a new one and quite frankly - I am still more impressed with my 800 series truck then the new K2XX models and I totally was unimpressed by the 900 models. I work with these vehicles every day so I know what they are capable of and they are good trucks...I just prefer my 2006.

Today I would not buy a Denali again because GMC has watered them down to be exactly the same as an SLT. Its just an emblem on the door now. You have the same seats, same motor options etc as all other trims. If I were buying a new truck.....drumroll...I would really want a new LONGHORN EDITION RAM!! What a beautiful interior and I love their paint colors and 2-tones.

We got a loaded 2014 RAM almost 2 years ago for under 40k total.

It seems to have way more stuff than we need, powered by 5.7/8speed/3.91 gearing. Averaging 17-18 with leadfoot wifey, over 50k miles and absolutely flawless.

One of the most rewarding drivetrains to actually drive IMO. Very smooth and powerful, almost eerie how smooth 395 hp can be...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

It seems to have way more stuff than we need, powered by 5.7/8speed/3.91 gearing. Averaging 17-18 with leadfoot wifey, over 50k miles and absolutely flawless.

One of the most rewarding drivetrains to actually drive IMO. Very smooth and powerful, almost eerie how smooth 395 hp can be...

I'm very curious to drive since all I hear is that 8 speed trans is money...

I had two new Fords in the last 6 years. Both 350's with gas and a diesel.
The 2015 had far better build quality than the 2011. They keep improving.
I don't like the price but I would buy any of the Big Three- you just have to choose what works for you.
Someone on here said that the 2500's can be had cheaper than the 1500's-150's- I agree!
My local Ford dealer does mostly trucks and I can get a 350 cheaper than a 250 and the 150's are hot and therefore expensive!

I think that combo would get a few mpg more if they didn't sound so good. Every Ram Hemi owner puts his foot into it every 5 seconds to hear the glorious sounds- lol

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Older trucks in this environment have issues not seen elsewhere and didn't want to deal with it.

Are you referring to the desert heat? I imagine that if an older vehicle was going to have problems with overheating, it would be in Arizona that you would be almost certain to see it!

___

I appreciate everyone's replies. Obviously, I am not the only person with strong opinions on trucks (not that that surprises me :)). I also appreciate the feedback I've gotten, from owners with late model Ram's, Chevy's, and Ford's.

My main issue is that I will likely get a base truck, with a 4 or V6. GM is the only manufacturer that makes a V6 specifically for it's trucks. As someone rightly noted, I should get good service from a new truck, provided that I don't push it beyond what it was designed to do.

If I go for a Colorado, I am looking at GM's 2.5L 4 cylinder; designed in Europe, and destined for passenger car use.

The base F150 is going to offer a 3.3L V6, and Ford continues to add letters to it's nonclementure: (VVTiC ABCDEFG).

RAM offers it's own V6, a MOPAR designed unit, although I don't know if FIAT has negatively affected it's reliability in any way.

The other appeal of low end trucks (aside from their affordability), is owed to the fact that they rely on 6 speed automatics, in lieu of the 10 speed units on more expensive models.

(And I wonder what the rebuild cost would be on a 10 speed automatic, down the road...)

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Older trucks in this environment have issues not seen elsewhere and didn't want to deal with it.

Are you referring to the desert heat? I imagine that if an older vehicle was going to have problems with overheating, it would be in Arizona that you would be almost certain to see it!

They get burnt to a crisp. Paint, rubber, interior. Grease dries up in places you never knew there was grease and things quit working or bind. Everyplace has it's pluses and minuses.

___

I appreciate everyone's replies. Obviously, I am not the only person with strong opinions on trucks (not that that surprises me :)). I also appreciate the feedback I've gotten, from owners with late model Ram's, Chevy's, and Ford's.

My main issue is that I will likely get a base truck, with a 4 or V6. GM is the only manufacturer that makes a V6 specifically for it's trucks. As someone rightly noted, I should get good service from a new truck, provided that I don't push it beyond what it was designed to do.

If I go for a Colorado, I am looking at GM's 2.5L 4 cylinder; designed in Europe, and destined for passenger car use.

The base F150 is going to offer a 3.3L V6, and Ford continues to add letters to it's nonclementure: (VVTiC ABCDEFG).

RAM offers it's own V6, a MOPAR designed unit, although I don't know if FIAT has negatively affected it's reliability in any way.

The other appeal of low end trucks (aside from their affordability), is owed to the fact that they rely on 6 speed automatics, in lieu of the 10 speed units on more expensive models.

(And I wonder what the rebuild cost would be on a 10 speed automatic, down the road...)

If you're looking for affordable, and OK with midsize, take a look at the Nissan Frontier. I was in a similar position recently and ended up with the Frontier. I really thought I wanted the F150 with the 5.0, but loved the Frontier for its price+features and size. If you need something larger that eliminates that option fairly quickly. I think you can get SV models with the 4.0 V6 and 4x4 well under 30k. They are dinosaurs in terms of mechanical tech - no direct injection, turbo, cylinder deactivation, start/stop. But because of this the 4.0 seems pretty reliable with most bugs sorted out.

I notice you are mainly looking at American brands. The Nissan Frontier and Titan are both built in the US (from sourced parts but still). Only driven mine about 2,000 miles so far but I actually love it. Fuel economy has been so-so, mine being the Pro4x model it does slightly worse. But it also takes regular fuel. I'd say its biggest weak point would be rear passenger comfort. The seat is pretty upright.

Whoever turned the back doors around and put handles on them on the full size GM extend cab trucks should get a medal. SO much better than the suicide doors and with a B pillar the cab is noticeably stiffer and tighter than the 07 was. Ain't skeered.

Trucks from the big 3 seem to be pretty solid these days. I would drive all of them and pick the one you like best/can get the best deal on. I happened to like the GM offerings the best, but everyone has their preferences.

My main issue is that I will likely get a base truck, with a 4 or V6. GM is the only manufacturer that makes a V6 specifically for it's trucks.

You do realize that all the past trucks have had "passenger car engines" in them, right?

Ford 302/351 - Car engines
Ford 300 6 - Car engine
Ford 4.6 - car engine
Chevy 350 - Car engine
Chevy 4.3 V6 started off life in the 78 Malibu.

Can't speak for Mopar - never have any interest in them as they are not worth the steel.

Of all the things to worry about "car engine" would not even be on the list.

I would look at the Toyota Tundra as well. Base model has a proven 4.6 V8. I realize you are looking at V6 and 4 cylinder engines, but nothing wrong with these trucks.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
New trucks $$$$.
Cylinder deactivation etc etc
Too many things that dont seem optimal for a basic long lasting truck.

So glad my expedition has no rust.

Agree on the first point, but GM seems to have learned from their first go round of putting AFM on the trucks. Much like the earlier Cadillac 4-6-8, they implemented new technology during dark days and things didn't go smoothly. I have seen very few powertrain issues out of the 14/15+ fullsize pickups and SUVs though. There are some body issues, but there are body issues on everything. Specifically on current GM trucks A/C condensers (situation getting better) and on the SUVs defrost tab breaking off the rear window (new window at a dealer, $500+). Not a whole lot of common stuff otherwise. No cracked dashes yet. A fair number of complaints about vibrations, but MOST of the time it's tire related and easily remedied (a couple were diffs, but that happens). If everything didn't come from the factory with absurdly sized wheels and tires that have barely any sidewall, there would probably be fewer complaints.

There are a lot of things I like about older trucks obviously, but the new ones are often quite good. The price tags can get pretty nuts though. Pretty much any base reg cab full size stickers for somewhere around $25K+. If you can really haggle, you might get it to $20K, but I doubt it. Someone else will gladly make huge payments on it because gas is $1.99 a gallon. I remember back in 2006 or so you could go to any Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealer and get a stripped down 150/1500 reg cab V6 for $14K. It would have A/C, and maybe even a CD player, though you might have to shift it yourself and would definitely be rolling up the windows with a crank. According to bls.gov, $14K then is around $17K today. You are not getting a brand new full size for $17K at any dealer anywhere. You're probably not going to get a used '15 for that much. They are getting more expensive.

Still, new trucks are worth buying for a lot of reasons, from accounting, to just needing something that works now with a warranty, to wanting something with comforts/features old trucks just don't come with. It's all about what you want/need and can get when you are in the market for a vehicle.

But yeah, I'm glad my Rangers don't have rust either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back