Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like keeping cloths that dont fit or you know you'll never wear again.
Or like keeping receipts for items you no longer own.
In other words....it's taking up valuable space.
But the cost of storage space goes down over time. Probably costs more in mental energy to get rid of it than from any savings. Texts don't really take up that much space. I'm annoyed enough about going through my old emails and purging them every once in a while as gmail limits you to 15 gigs and every few months, it starts to creep up as you end up getting lots of attachments and emails that can range from 100k to a few megs. It can take up to an hour just to purge a few percentage points of space back. Google makes enough money so I don't want to give them more by signing up for additional space. I think once that happens, you'll never go back to it being free and never purging old emails that are no longer needed.

Thinking about EDIT and CRSP type stocks since theyve been beaten down from highs. I would think there is lots of potential in these. Anyone have opinions on best of breed? Was thinking EDIT, but their portfolio might be too limited. Thoughts?

Can increasing interest rates tame inflation ?
Increasing interest rates is a poor tool for taming inflation. The proof of that is the inflation under Jimmy Carter.
Definition of inflation:
There are three main causes of inflation: demand-pull inflation, cost-push inflation, and built-in inflation. Demand-pull inflation refers to situations where there are not enough products or services being produced to keep up with demand, causing their prices to increase.

Cost-push inflation, on the other hand, occurs when the cost of producing products and services rises, forcing businesses to raise their prices.

Lastly, built-in inflation—sometimes referred to as a “wage-price spiral”—occurs when workers demand higher wages to keep up with rising living costs. This in turn causes businesses to raise their prices in order to offset their rising wage costs, leading to a self-reinforcing loop of wage and price increases.

Thinking about EDIT and CRSP type stocks since theyve been beaten down from highs. I would think there is lots of potential in these. Anyone have opinions on best of breed? Was thinking EDIT, but their portfolio might be too limited. Thoughts?

It's going to be a very difficult year to say the least. The way professional money managers assess current market conditions and risk is different than 99% of private investors. Think about how much money you could lose, not how much $$$ you might be able to make, or hope to make. If by chance you have the discipline to build a portfolio for a long term basis, you could build positions slowly, in very small increments since it cost's most of us nothing to trade. Maybe a 10th of a position in each stock per month of your choice, on pull backs, but I would suggest you "Sit on Your Hands" for now. That means do nothing. There are so many money managers and smart private investors that are sitting on sizable amounts of cash, and Oil Stocks, Oil ETF's, and Material stocks.

The coming year has too much unknown from the Fed, some analysts have predicted as much as 7 rate hikes recently which is insane! Some think the Fed will react to the market, I don't believe they will change their projected 4/5 rate hikes no matter what even though they claim they will be "Data Dependent" Cough Cough...I don't know what data they are dependent upon, but its not going to be your brokerage or IRA account.

One thing I can and I have already positioned my portfolio for is Oil! What I can give you a clue on without breaking rules, after an event that takes place this month, all bets are off, it does not matter how much oil any country increases in their output abilities cause it won't matter. I don't like typing this, but its going to happen and the rest of the market is not going to like it, and I strongly believe stock prices will reflect how strongly they don't like it! "Buckle Up"

What I can give you a clue on without breaking rules, after an event that takes place this month, all bets are off, it does not matter how much oil any country increases in their output abilities cause it won't matter. I don't like typing this, but its going to happen and the rest of the market is not going to like it, and I strongly believe stock prices will reflect how strongly they don't like it! "Buckle Up"
What event are you referring to? If it's not too controversial that is. 7 interest rate hikes would be great (sorry guys), I need to load up on the dip and hoping this affects housing prices massively.
I'm going with CRSP, trials of their new diabetes treatment starting with lots of potential. Honestly, you can't go wrong with both companies. I'll be DCA'ing on the way down.

What event are you referring to? If it's not too controversial that is. 7 interest rate hikes would be great (sorry guys), I need to load up on the dip and hoping this affects housing prices massively.

I'm going with CRSP, trials of their new diabetes treatment starting with lots of potential. Honestly, you can't go wrong with both companies. I'll be DCA'ing on the way down.

The Olympics', That's not the controversial part I'm referring to. It's something like the game of dominos I'm referring to.

If you want to buy stocks, I'm pretty sure it will give you an opportunity. The question you have to ask yourself is, how long are you prepared to be upside down on the stocks you buy until the market comes back to you?

Since it cost's nothing to buy/sell, buy slowly, small increments over a period of time. The pain will not feel as bad if you average in, and cost average in as your best of breed stocks have down days or pull backs. Rate hikes are not forecasted, they are telegraphed 1 year out +/-. The market likes to think they have everything figured out 6 months ahead of time, if that was the case the averages would not have some of the up and down moves that it does!

The market likes to think they have everything figured out 6 months ahead of time, if that was the case the averages would not have some of the up and down moves that it does!
Agreed, not everything is priced in and so much going on behind the scenes that the outsiders don't even know about. Definitely increasing my contributions on the way down, looking forward to see what March brings.

This Shipping Stock Looks Good . Ticker Symbol (ZIM) 14% Dividend

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 00-02-56 ZIM ZIM Integrated Shipping Services Ltd Stock Quote.jpg

14% dividend is a warning sign! Either the stock is Very undervalued and price should appreciate noticeably, or the dividend is unsustainable. I'll have to research it's dividend history sometime.

There are alot of stats that look really good, but I see a potential deal breaker. The good, 80% is owned between insiders and institutions, ROA,ROE,ROI, and all margins are good! Moving Averages Good, PE's silly low! This year EPS=Fantastic! Next year EPS= Deal Breaker! EPS Next 5 year= Deal Breaker, Dividend not sustainable, or so it looks. No EPS or sales for past 5 years. ? New Co.? Hard Pass "Next"

Vale, a Brazilian or Columbian Copper mine list's an 18 or 20% dividend, but I would not trust it, in fact Cramer just a few days ago rated it a don't buy, don't trust the dividend.

I can post more than a few REIT's that payout 90/95% of the rental profits=9/10% dividends, pretty safe.

The highest dividend stocks that I have that are safe and have a long track record of sustainability or raising their dividend year over year, which is the best sign of a dividend stock are Pipeline stocks, Enterprise/ EPD 8+%, Philliph's 66 partners, PSXP 9%.

I can post more than a few REIT's that payout 90/95% of the rental profits=9/10% dividends, pretty safe.

The highest dividend stocks that I have that are safe and have a long track record of sustainability or raising their dividend year over year, which is the best sign of a dividend stock are Pipeline stocks, Enterprise/ EPD 8+%, Philliph's 66 partners, PSXP 9%.

Which REITs do you have ?

I had REITs in the past before I sold all of them and bought technology ETF a few years ago.

Warstud,
I learned my lesson NOT to chase high dividend paying stocks, some are OK and others are a trap.

Last edited:
Increasing interest rates is a poor tool for taming inflation. The proof of that is the inflation under Jimmy Carter.
Definition of inflation:
There are three main causes of inflation: demand-pull inflation, cost-push inflation, and built-in inflation. Demand-pull inflation refers to situations where there are not enough products or services being produced to keep up with demand, causing their prices to increase.

Cost-push inflation, on the other hand, occurs when the cost of producing products and services rises, forcing businesses to raise their prices.

Lastly, built-in inflation—sometimes referred to as a “wage-price spiral”—occurs when workers demand higher wages to keep up with rising living costs. This in turn causes businesses to raise their prices in order to offset their rising wage costs, leading to a self-reinforcing loop of wage and price increases.
You understand the current situation is a combination of all 3. Actually, #3 is a function of the 1st 2.
Controlling interest rates is the Fed's tool for managing inflation.

Yes, but it is not a very good tool.
Of course it is. The world, business, runs on credit. When the economy heats up too fast, like now, the Fed increases the base to slow spending.
Expect 3 to 4 base point increases in the next year.
Commercial borrowing rates have been so low for so long, prices have increased due to cheap money. The global issue became a catalyst for inflation.

I would be interested in what you belive the Fed should do; what is a good tool?

One pipeline stock that would not meet your criteria (dividend cut in half a bit over a year ago, previous bad management) is Energy Transfer, ET. Does the replacement of its CEO and very recent dividend increase indicate another look at this stock is warranted, or would you stick with tried and true EPD?

Of course it is. The world, business, runs on credit. When the economy heats up too fast, like now, the Fed increases the base to slow spending.
Expect 3 to 4 base point increases in the next year.
Commercial borrowing rates have been so low for so long, prices have increased due to cheap money. The global issue became a catalyst for inflation.

I would be interested in what you belive the Fed should do; what is a good tool?
Don't know what will happen but with out cheap money everything could crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back