Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cramer is telling people to buy financials?!? [censored]?

Did he not get the memo that Fitch ratings just downgraded FHIC insurance, not the mention that S&P just conducted a sweeping downgrade of CDOs and subprimes to the tune of over $500 billion? SKF, the DJ financials short ETF just went up 3% after hours. What's the matter with this guy?

Dang I almost bought SKF on Monday!! (I bought SJH instead up $2.76 today)

Cramer? Maybe he smells value. You don't have to watch the guy - I don't anymore.

There has got to be some debt instrument that was up today. Even PRPFX was off.

I just checked out PRPFX. That looks like a helluva fund. I may have to put some of my mom's money in there. She's looking for something conservative as she is nearing retirement.

I've also been loading up on shorts since Friday. Have bought QID, SKF, and SRS. Something just didn't feel right in the air starting Friday and the continued delay in the bond insurer rescue plan.

Last edited:
Down elevator today....

Possible buying opportunity...

12.gif

SKF was up most of the morning and just turned into the red. The big news today was slowing in consumption and increase in jobless claimed. But since Wall street is a forward looking machine, and can care less about the past, it was interpreted as a signal for even more rate cuts. Hence, the boost to the indices. Go figure.

One more thing. I'll have to eat my words concerning Cramer. Maybe this dude is sharper than I give him credit for.

But the thing I don't understand is MBIA is up, after horrendous news last night. The only thing I can figure is that Wall street thinks that the bad news will increase the odds of a bailout and they are taking bets that that will happen.

UPDATE: whelp, Gary Dunton, MBIA's CEO just announced that he expects them to keep their AAA rating. So the mystery is solved. The default premium just got erased on Wall Street........at least for now.

Last edited:
Cramer knows his business but his advice can be misleading to newbys.. Trying to follow his thinking last year cost me a bunch of $$$. Now I mostly do my own thing, but I do listen to him. He usually knows what is happening in the background, and he has resources far beyond anything I can come up with.

I thought you were doing your taxes.

Quote:
Sacramento informed me that the W-2's are being mailed today!

How the heck? I still haven't received my W-2 from work, my income statement from Amsoil, interest statements, etc and ad vomitum

Quote:
I thought you were doing your taxes.

Just gathering the papers together and verifying we have everything. We go to the accountant this Sunday. Couple of hours and we're done for another year.

Having a killer week this week.
thumbsup2.gif

My short positions hot hammered today. But my cyclical stuff went up so I ended up about even. Not getting much volatility in my portfolio these days because of the shorts, but I'll have to get rid of them at some point if I want to make real money.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
My short positions hot hammered today. But my cyclical stuff went up so I ended up about even. Not getting much volatility in my portfolio these days because of the shorts, but I'll have to get rid of them at some point if I want to make real money.

I hear you. But I did something I rarely do. My short ETF's (since the NAV is usually about $100) I only buy 50 shares each. So yeah it doesn't help a whole lot when the market dive (but is better than a loss!) and is not a big limiter on up days.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
P, I'm reluctant to buy "short" ETFs after the market has dropped like this one. I don't mind them when the market has gone straight up.

Unless you are afraid it will dive tomorrow regardless!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I just checked out PRPFX. That looks like a helluva fund.

Check out FBALX and PRWCX. Solid with even better returns. The best conservative and moderate allocation funds are closed to new investors though (OAKBX)

Last edited:
Short's should be used for insurance only. Trying to make money on them is, to say the least, very risky. The market trends upward about 6-10% per year. So with shorts, you're already spotting the market. But if you can't predict the direction of the market and don't want to cash out your entire portfolio (trading fees can bite you), shorts can cover your backside by reducing volatility. Then sell them ASAP when you think the market will trend upward again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back