Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Can she do Fidelity Brokeragelink? (Then she could buy any fund)

No, her company plan only allows switching between about 6 of the Fidelity funds. She has some in the stock portion, but most in a stable value bond fund.

I heard an analyst recommend utilities the other day; he said they do well when interest rates stabilize or start down. Don't utilites and bonds move in tandem? If so, the bond fund should be fairly safe......that's assuming the Fed is indeed near the top on rates.
dunno.gif

They held. I am flanked....and the news almost had me (of all people) talked into just how bad things are. I think the point here is (as usual): buy when everyone has bailed (2001-2002), sell when everyone is back on board (2006-?).....and just do it!

Funny how people are with risk. The largest risk is NOT being in the stock market at all. Missing today and this latest rally would suck.

Utes are just OK. yes the higher yielding ones will follow rates, the biggest negative is that they become overvalued and have little growth....

Too bad the dollar has tanked, and even a Dow of 12,000 wouldn't have anywhere near the buying power it did in 2000.

I am still seeing good upside in the oils. They have disconnected from market fundamentals lately (to the downside), while oil has pretty much only gone up. Whenever you have this sort of divergence, adding to positions is a fairly prudent thing to do.

Canadian smallcaps have entered the stupid zone. If you are buying Canadian stuff, make sure you aim for quality.

The dollar is down, but "tanked" I guess is a relative term. It is much weaker against the Can$, to the point I can no longer call your money the "northern peso". Good to see the Canadians shopping in the USA again! OTOH - we no longer shop in Canada.

All that said the appreciation of my stocks exceeds the amount of inflation/loss of buying power hugely.

Got your message on Canadian Small caps. In fact I sold my Canadian trusts. Good stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
[QB] Funny how people are with risk. The largest risk is NOT being in the stock market at all. Missing today and this latest rally would suck.

Pablo, you are an incorrigible optimist !

Now, like especially in 1998-08.2001, the market is driven by hopes, cupitidy and, naturally, fears to miss a rally. The same mistakes. But fundamentals are far from to be promissive for the long-terms investors unlike speculators. They (investors) have quite small chances, if any. Where is the market now ? Only 2-3 % higher then in January and each successive new high has barely exceeded the old high before selling off again. Nobody knows what will happen next time. As for foreign investors, in January, when EUR/USD rate was 1,00 = 1,20, europeans invested in the US indexes, but now, if they decide to take money back they will lose about 2 % on the exchange rate despite 2-3 % market growth. Who will invest into the US economy if the dollar is weakenning and what will happen with the US market if there is no cash inflow from overseas ?

Seems that actual gold prices is the reflection of fears in the fate of US economy and dollar. When the dollar stops to fulfill its role of the reserve currency the world will need something to be bind to. I'm afraid, we are inexorably approaching to difficult times, but you are saying "Missing today and this latest rally would suck" !

primus = same message

clue = typically foreign investor is not buying US stocks, typical US investor has an ever increasing amount of foreign investments.

I sell into the rallies and missing that is very risky.

I would NOT be holding gold right now.

"But fundamentals are far from to be promissive for the long-terms investors unlike speculators."

=============================================================

Sorry Primus, the whole market is speculative and always has been.(just like life) I just want my money to last a day longer than I do.

I would NOT be holding gold right now. Funny you say that with many on CNBC saying they wouldn't hold anything else. Look at TIE as a example of metals. Why buy KO when you can get these kind of returns in the metals market.Something has to give and Gold is the hedge of choice.They say when Gold gives it up Bonds will be the next place for $.
dunno.gif

Lest anyone think I'm overly harsh - owning gold from earlier in this century until now would have been a decent proposition - buying now - is, well, overly speculative!
smile.gif
But you may want to hold on to small percentage as a hedge.

''As you may know, Vonage has filed a registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) related to its
proposed initial public offering (IPO) of common stock. Because much of our success is attributable to our customers, we have
asked the underwriters of the IPO to reserve shares of common stock for sale to certain Vonage customers at the IPO price in
a Directed Share Program.''

I think land lines are going the way of cheap gas. However, I think it will be cells rather than VOIP taking over.

Strange day. My strong stocks were down. My weak ones were up. Nice gains yesterday, small loss today. Competition is killing Dell. Hardware is a tough business.

I though it was overbought at $500, but what do I know? I don't have enought resources to do commodities. If I wanted to gamble at that level, I'd go to Reno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back