Installing Exhaust/Intake 2011 Chevy Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
stock exhausts these days don't have any excess back pressure.

crackmeup2.gif

I would only change the exhaust, and be done with it. I've put Quality like magnaflow( not perforated cheapie) glasspacks on several cars from 4cyl to 6 and 8. With the cats in place they are not that loud. If you use the longest that will fit, they sound lower in tone and don't sound splatty. Every car that i have put glass packs on have gotten 1-2 mpg better on the highway. For a small motor keep it long and don't increase the diameter.

I have glass packs on the olds and the saturn ! the saturn gets 42mpg at 80 on the highway, 45 at 60-65 mph. The olds gets around 29 mpg, 30 it no a/c is running.

Last edited:

I'm more familiar with diesels but to get more HP out of a gas engine with a turbo you need to crank up the boost. Now that's a bit of a tricky proposition if you want the engine to last for awhile. The question now becomes how much boost can you run in this motor before something pops? Does anyone know yet?

Also why bother its an economy car?

The stock turbo is good for at least 22 PSI. The stock injectors are maxed out at 22 PSI. One would need larger injectors to find the limits of the stock turbo. Tuning houses with experience with the LNF in the Cobalt SS/Solstice GXP are all over the LUJ finding its limits. So far, those limits are looking pretty high. The professional tuners are reporting 180 whp and 240 ft/lbs with larger injectors, E85, and a very aggressive tune. There are daily-driver tunes with 150 whp and 190 ft/lbs at the wheels on tap, and those are thought of as conservative gains from the 116 whp and 140 ft/lbs of stock.

The trick to long life in this engine is looking like keeping the turbo and its hardware happy. It's programmed to use most of its stock capacity of 16 PSI most of the time from the factory. The most popular aftermarket tune on the Cruze boards has a setting that defaults to the stock boost limit, and needs the driver to engage the more aggressive programming.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

I'm more familiar with diesels but to get more HP out of a gas engine with a turbo you need to crank up the boost. Now that's a bit of a tricky proposition if you want the engine to last for awhile. The question now becomes how much boost can you run in this motor before something pops? Does anyone know yet?

The stock turbo is good for at least 22 PSI. The stock injectors are maxed out at 22 PSI. One would need larger injectors to find the limits of the stock turbo. Tuning houses with experience with the LNF in the Cobalt SS/Solstice GXP are all over the LUJ finding its limits. So far, those limits are looking pretty high. The professional tuners are reporting 180 whp and 240 ft/lbs with larger injectors, E85, and a very aggressive tune. There are daily-driver tunes with 150 whp and 190 ft/lbs at the wheels on tap, and those are thought of as conservative gains from the 116 whp and 140 ft/lbs of stock.

The trick to long life in this engine is looking like keeping the turbo and its hardware happy. It's programmed to use most of its stock capacity of 16 PSI most of the time from the factory. The most popular aftermarket tune on the Cruze boards has a setting that defaults to the stock boost limit, and needs the driver to engage the more aggressive programming.

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but I question the logic of running larger injectors, E85 and an aggressive tune to make the same power as a 5.0L from 1987 (and less torque).

It just strikes me as a ludicrous waste of money! The car is obviously an economy car. If the "upper limits" are the power levels of a high 13/low 14-second car from 1987, I really don't see that as something that makes sense. The shorter engine life, wear on the turbo and all the associated components.....

But maybe I'm missing something? And if that is so, please explain it to me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but I question the logic of running larger injectors, E85 and an aggressive tune to make the same power as a 5.0L from 1987 (and less torque).

It just strikes me as a ludicrous waste of money! The car is obviously an economy car. If the "upper limits" are the power levels of a high 13/low 14-second car from 1987, I really don't see that as something that makes sense. The shorter engine life, wear on the turbo and all the associated components.....

smile.gif

I agree. *IF* the turbo is "good" (ie be reliable in my book) for 22 PSI then it would be there from the factory.

As much as I'm no longer a GM fan they prob know a LOT more about their equipment than any one else. They HAVE destroyed more motors than aftermarket did getting to a SAFE LIMIT for the engine. If they could get 160hp out of it they would have.

But they have to be on the hook for 100k (or something else happens to them) so they will make it competitive for the segment and yet last.

I'll never forget when I was at my Ford dealership getting my Taurus worked on for its head gaskets @ 61k they had a turbo off one of their customers trucks and you could spin the impeller and feel how loose (side to side) and the impellers rubbed onto the side of the housing. It was out of blown engine which had been chipped then taken back to stock. They knew it and denied the warranty.

There was also a sign that said "chipped engine for a safe upgrade of power cost this customer a new engine when in warranty. Don't let this be you!"

Buy the vehicle for what it is. Don't try to make a Corvette out of a Cruze.

Take care, Bill

smile.gif

Exactly. If you want something fast, start with the right platform. A 1.4L econo car isn't it.

smile.gif

You're fine! I read your post and nodded in agreement. If you want a fast car, buy a fast car.

There is a market for go-faster bits for the Cruze. They're catering to that market. Don't forget, some folks buy something and want to see how far they can push it. Or they want to make it their own by making it different than how it left the factory. Or, just because they can.

Don't forget, nothing says folks are rational about car purchases. Or in their desire to make a Corvette out of a Cruze.

Personally, I like my Cruze just the way it is. I got it to be an engaging to drive fuel sipper. It came from the factory the way I wanted it, and it performs just the way I want it to. It's not getting any warranty-voiding mods.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
stock exhausts these days don't have any excess back pressure.

crackmeup2.gif

They don't unless you plan on taking the motor past stock.

Its 2012 not 1985.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarkM66

smile.gif

Exactly. If you want something fast, start with the right platform. A 1.4L econo car isn't it.

+1

Originally Posted By: JMac101
Im financing the car to own I might as well customize it.

You can't afford the car as it is, what's to think that you can afford to customize?

Put the $1000 towards paying the car off. Maybe once you have enough cash on hand to buy a car cash, then you can waste money on "upgrades".

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: JMac101
Im financing the car to own I might as well customize it.

You can't afford the car as it is, what's to think that you can afford to customize?

Put the $1000 towards paying the car off. Maybe once you have enough cash on hand to buy a car cash, then you can waste money on "upgrades".

It's OPs money, that's for sure, but I completely agree with putting that money towards the car loan.

I noticed this mind set on car forums with a lot of young people, like Civic or Mazda 3 forums. They finance the car, often to the maximum loan length, but can throw all sorts of money at exhausts, rims and intakes. This often makes me wonder if maintenance doesn't take a hit as well, and that is why I avoid modded cars like a plague when shopping for a used car.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Tell this to all of the kids out there trying to turn 24 second Civics into unstreetable, 9 second cars, while spending more than a great, new, performance car to do such. (They won't listen, "Gotta build me a VEE ATE killa yo!! JDM rulezz!")

I got my Cruze the way I would have customized it anyhow. Turbo? Check. Manual transmission? Check. Lowered suspension? Check. Lower-profile tires for handling? Check. Hands-free? Check. The funny thing was, it saved me money to get the car I wanted with the options installed at the factory instead of DIY'ing it. I'm happy with the car, and the wifey is happy I'm not spending money modding the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back