Impressed with Royal Purple HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first time using the Royal Purple HPS 5w30 in my 2012 Audi A6. Until now I was using up my stash of Royal Purple 5w40. With 5w40 the car ran smooth and quiet but it had a slight top end valve train ticking and also a little clattering on very cold starts. I've had the HPS 5w30 in the sump for 2 weeks and both the ticking and clattering are completely non existent. Thus the oil runs a little smoother and quieter than the RP 5w40 which was surprising because 5w40 ran super smooth and quiet in its own right.

Generally speaking going from a 5w-40 to a 5w-30 in the winter should help those things you a described a bit. Especially in colder climates. Not a bash against RP, just saying.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Nice...what is recommended for your Audi?

The requirement is a VW 502.00 oils. On the list are 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40 oils

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Generally speaking going from a 5w-40 to a 5w-30 in the winter should help those things you a described a bit. Especially in colder climates. Not a bash against RP, just saying.

Yes the cold start clatter could definitely be due to 5w30. The faint ticking present even when warm I would think would be worse with a thinner 5w30 oil.
Royal Purple has told me that their HPS line has 4 times the amount of Synerlec than their API line of oil and therefore that much more the oil film thickness. I think this also has something to do with my observations.

Originally Posted By: deven

I'm sure you know this, but there is more to the spec than the weight of the oil. Most 5w30s aren't going to meet the requirements. Personally, I'd stick to M1 0W-40 in this motor, but there are many opinions
smile.gif

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

I'm sure you know this, but there is more to the spec than the weight of the oil. Most 5w30s aren't going to meet the requirements. Personally, I'd stick to M1 0W-40 in this motor, but there are many opinions
smile.gif

robert

I meant that the oils listed on the VW 502.00 list vary from 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40.
My car is heavily modified so my warranty has already been buhbye so that list is not important to me.

smile.gif

robert

I meant that the oils listed on the VW 502.00 list vary from 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40.
My car is heavily modified so my warranty has already been buhbye so that list is not important to me.

Being heavily modified I wonder if HPS 10w40 would be a better option?

Originally Posted By: BobFout

smile.gif

robert

I race the car in the summer. I think 10w40 would be too thick. I'll get a UOA done and see how HPS held up viscosity wise.

I race the car in the summer. I think 10w40 would be too thick. I'll get a UOA done and see how HPS held up viscosity wise.

Too thick? In the cold, or at-temp in terms of 100C visco or HTHS?

In the cold mainly

Yes the cold start clatter could definitely be due to 5w30. The faint ticking present even when warm I would think would be worse with a thinner 5w30 oil.
Royal Purple has told me that their HPS line has 4 times the amount of Synerlec than their API line of oil and therefore that much more the oil film thickness. I think this also has something to do with my observations.

How long are your trips?

In the cold mainly

Their spec chart makes me believe the 10w40 might actually be a 5w40, or just barely fails to be a 5w40. 6600 cP cold cranking at -30C is the border for 5w and not.

http://www.royalpurpleindustrial.com/assets/RP-HPS-MO-PDS1.pdf

------

10w oils are rated for their cold cranking down to -25C/-15F and pumping down to -30C/-20F. Being a high-quality synthetic, there's more margin on this...

With HPS 10w40 you get a 4.1 cP HTHS and a little thicker 100C visco than most xw40s (13.8 cSt)

^^With racing this car my goal is always to go as thick as necessary and as thin as possible. I've talked to the RP techs and all agree that the 5w30 HPS should be thick enough due to the higher film strength

How long are your trips?

Work commutes are all city 3 miles each way. Plus I have 3 business locations that are all city driving 6 miles each way.

My local Pep Boys claims to actually have the Royal Purple HPS.. I may well buy some if it goes on a special. The HPS version with Synerlec is the Truth
smile.gif
great oil no doubt.

Some it is also subjective. Do you remember the noise exactly after you changed the oil the last time vs this time. Or comparing how its sounds with fresh oil vs used and ready to be changed?

Last edited:

I don't think that their API has Synerlec. Royal Purple's customer service is top notch though.

I bought a 6qt case of their HMX 5w30. Somehow a quart of HPS 20w50 made it in the case. I didn't notice until I was pouring it in and the funnel about overflowed. I called them just to double check if I'd be alright. They immediately shipped me a new case without me even asking. I noticed no difference in cold starts or running with the mix of 4.5qts 5w30 and 1qt 20w50.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Some it is also subjective. Do you remember the noise exactly after you changed the oil the last time vs this time. Or comparing how its sounds with fresh oil vs used and ready to be changed?

I agree. A while back we had a simliar discussion. I feel in many instances the new fresh oil is going to improve things since the old oil that was drained out in many cases is spent. It would be hard to remember how the oil that was drained "felt and sounded" several months and several thousand miles earlier when it was first poured in.

Then I asked:

How long are your trips?

The reply was:

Work commutes are all city 3 miles each way. Plus I have 3 business locations that are all city driving 6 miles each way.

That would make the 5W30 a better choice for winter than the 40 grade oil he drained out. Odds are the oil is never getting to operating temperature making the 30 grade a better choice especially during the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back