If cardboard end caps are so bad, then....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just curious, if cardboard end caps are so bad (as in Orange-Can Fram), then why aren't all cartridge filters just as bad? I know Fram typically has way less media also. But wouldn't the cardboard end caps of cartridge filters be just as bad as a Fram end cap? I was just thinking this -- as my new ride uses cartridge filters...

All cartridge filter I've seen had metal end caps.
Two I've seen picture here of, had plastic ends.
That said, cardboard end caps are an easy target for
criticism, but no concret evidence that they are any
worse than metal.
Most people have used Frams for many years without problems.
The only filter I've had problems with was an AC(bad gasket).
My 2¢

I don't know that they are so bad... but I think someone posted some variety where the endcaps where not well bonded.

I just got a NEW scrotum Summit racing filter cutter. Last evening during the Africa heat wave I cut open a Filtech (Honda) and an EaOll (Volvo size). (I have a bunch more to open including a Fram and two Honda frams).

The Filtech baffled me....has someone posted pics? There were no endcaps at all....

The EaO11 was a beefy dude, but the element itself (metal caps in place) was not a huge % of the can....but I can tell you the ADBV works very well on this EAO.

When I have some time I'll finish the dissection effort and post pictures.

^Cool -- can't wait to see the pics. Every cartridge filter I've seen for the Mazda/Ford 2.3 has cardbaord end caps. The Wix/Napa Gold media looks great though. It's neat to see the inards w/o having to cut, but I would still prefer Spin-On for ease of use.

Quote:

^Cool -- can't wait to see the pics. Every cartridge filter I've seen for the Mazda/Ford 2.3 has cardbaord end caps. The Wix/Napa Gold media looks great though. It's neat to see the inards w/o having to cut, but I would still prefer Spin-On for ease of use.

kkreit, I'm mrc on the Ford Fusion Club. I compiled the different cartridge part number for our 2.3L's and I'm going to compile some pictures. So far, I physically have the following branded filter that fits our vehicle: Purolator PP, PureOne, MotorCraft, Mazda, Napa Gold, STP and Fram. The PureOne appears to have the best filter media. I plan on taking pics of all the different filters for this car and compiling them in the I4 thread on that site. I'm currently running the Napa Gold filter and I'll take pics of it upon next oil change. So far it's been in there 1K.

Quote:

BUT the FREE Summit cap is very cool.

exact same cutter i got too last year, and my FREE Jeg's
cap is also very cool.
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

kkreit, I'm mrc on the Ford Fusion Club. I compiled the different cartridge part number for our 2.3L's and I'm going to compile some pictures. So far, I physically have the following branded filter that fits our vehicle: Purolator PP, PureOne, MotorCraft, Mazda, Napa Gold, STP and Fram. The PureOne appears to have the best filter media. I plan on taking pics of all the different filters for this car and compiling them in the I4 thread on that site. I'm currently running the Napa Gold filter and I'll take pics of it upon next oil change. So far it's been in there 1K.

Thanks. I used a Napa Gold on the first OCI, and I still have 1 in stash. It looked good. I checked out a PureOne at my local AAP. It did not have the plastic center tube yet, and it was nearly $8! For that price, you might as well get the K&N. Wix from fleetfilter is only $3 (and a few pennies).

Quote:

I checked out a PureOne at my local AAP. It did not have the plastic center tube yet, and it was nearly $8!

What???

a PureOne at my AAP is $5 somthing every day for my app.

Doesn't make much difference if the endcaps are cardboard on the Fram because the lousy bypass rubber valve will ripple with heat anyway and any sealing is moot!

Quote:

Quote:

I checked out a PureOne at my local AAP. It did not have the plastic center tube yet, and it was nearly $8!

What???

Maybe they had it in the wrong slot? I was shocked by the price as well.

a PureOne at my AAP is $5 somthing every day for my app.

I don't see a problem with the cardboard, and I base that on cutting them open after use. I don't use them anymore. The ones I have taken apart require a lot of effort to get the cardboard to separate. The e-core are very easy to separate.

I think Fram gets slammed because of their pricing. I have cut open a Wix and I see why they are raved about. The impression of quality is certainly noticeable when you cut these things open. I do think the Motorcraft line is the best in terms of value, construction and performance.

I've got a purone to run on my next change. Can't wait to cut it open. If it gives the impression of quality the way the wix did I will use these just because they are easier to get then the wix.

I've cut open an ecore. I didn't really see anything wrong with the filter, I just don't like the bypass design. The polyester endcap was very easy to separate but did require deliberate effort to do so.

I just cut open of the Honda of America Made In Canada Fromda filters.....cardboard is a bad description. More like compressed fibrous media....

Had what I assume is called the "clicker"(?) bypass valve.

Anyway, well constructed filter with a good silicone ADBV.

Quote:

I just cut open of the Honda of America Made In Canada Fromda filters.....cardboard is a bad description. More like compressed fibrous media....

Had what I assume is called the "clicker"(?) bypass valve.

Anyway, well constructed filter with a good silicone ADBV.

I've cut them open too, and they look just like Fram Tough Guards without the screen over the bypass valve.

I'm running an EaO13 now. I love it and will continue to use these. My oil light goes off before my car starts. Thanks Pablo!!!

Brian

[quote It's neat to see the inards w/o having to cut, but I would still prefer Spin-On for ease of use.

You know I would too and you can get a kit for around $30 to convert. I posted a thread on this recently. Pros and cons were addressed...also a link for a "how to" with pics. I don't have the strength to get into this topic again.

Anyhoo... We are all big boys here. You can read and decide if its worth it for you.

Here's the link:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...part=1&vc=1

Quote:

I don't have the strength to get into this topic again.

laugh.gif
Wore you out, huh? Like you said, an informed adult can make his own decisions. Do it ..don't do it ...it's no skin off of your behind either way.

That's what you get for offering information. No good deed goes unpunished.
grin.gif

I just checked last night. I looked closer at the new Wix filter on my shelf. It has sturdy plastic end caps. I feel better now. I'm pretty sure the OEM one had cardboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back