Idea for a new Porsche?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! Looks like they're going for... something... like it?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-porsche-small-sedan-feature

...except it's turbocharged, has AWD, is the size of a 3-Series instead of a 1-Series, is based on the next A4 platform, won't come with flat-6s...

...Actually this isn't much like the idea in the OP. But I guess it's a good thought.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I think this could be clearly distinct from the Boxster and Cayman. More comfortable and practical with a more accessible performance envelope, but with less sharpness and sportiness.

On a side note, Porsche recently launched the Macan - a mini SUV, built on Audi Q5 platform. Certainly larger than a 1-series, but if you want more practicality, then it delivers. You can get it with pneumatic suspension as well as a 400hp turbo engine.

Ugh why are they racing all these high end brands to the bottom? I don't get VW group I guess they just like pirating sales from other divisions.

They already have a mass market product, its called VW.

VW group is really trying to imitate old GM, cash in on the brand equity etc.

Ferrari has the right idea, limit production to around 7k units per year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Ugh why are they racing all these high end brands to the bottom? I don't get VW group I guess they just like pirating sales from other divisions.

I think the reality is that porsche can't afford not sell SUV's and high volume vehicles, to fund development of its sports cars.
I think if you look at the sales in the last years before the SUV came out, they were getting pretty small, and not enough to develop competitive engines and transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
On a side note, Porsche recently launched the Macan - a mini SUV, built on Audi Q5 platform. Certainly larger than a 1-series, but if you want more practicality, then it delivers. You can get it with pneumatic suspension as well as a 400hp turbo engine.

Completely different universe. It's like a boat compared to an A4, which is like a boat compared to a 1-Series...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Not quite a boat...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-porsche-macan-s-turbo-first-drive-review

Have you driven one of the performance SUV's on a track? I just wonder how they really feel compared to a performance sedan? No doubt they are fast, but the seating height and CofG must make you a bit nervous, a brief slip onto the grass and sideways might end badly.
I toss around the Tracker on gravel and its fun, but on pavement with more traction, I really notice that the CofG is too high and transfers all the weight to the outside tires as well.

Not quite a boat...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-porsche-macan-s-turbo-first-drive-review

You're not seriously suggesting it'd line up well with a smaller car in a comparable state of tune, are you?

People say the Cayenne handles brilliantly. If they're honest and have even the slightest clue what they're talking about, they'll always add "for an SUV" when you push them. It's all about perspective.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I think the reality is that porsche can't afford not sell SUV's and high volume vehicles, to fund development of its sports cars.
I think if you look at the sales in the last years before the SUV came out, they were getting pretty small, and not enough to develop competitive engines and transmissions.

Well the Panamera and the SUV whatever its called are decent for what they are.

My argument is VW group shouldn't drag their name downmarket with essentially warmed over VW group products. This is exactly what got GM into trouble.

Last edited:

Completely different universe. It's like a boat compared to an A4, which is like a boat compared to a 1-Series...

Yes. That's why I wrote "on a side note."

Not quite a boat...

You're not seriously suggesting it'd line up well with a smaller car in a comparable state of tune, are you?

People say the Cayenne handles brilliantly. If they're honest and have even the slightest clue what they're talking about, they'll always add "for an SUV" when you push them. It's all about perspective.

Of course not. I AM suggesting that Porsche can deliver an exceptional driving experience even in an SUV, and that it IS track capable...

Yes. That's why I wrote "on a side note."

Fair enough. I guess I just have a visceral reaction whenever I hear people even imply an equivalence between a crossover/SUV and a real performance car.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Well the Panamera and the SUV whatever its called are decent for what they are.

My argument is VW group shouldn't drag their name downmarket with essentially warmed over VW group products. This is exactly what got GM into trouble.

Merc is doing it, Porsche already failed at this once with the 924/944 IMO. With all the unreal sales of SUV's they cannot afford to mess this one up. The Cayenne is a huge profit center for them.

I AM suggesting that Porsche can deliver an exceptional driving experience even in an SUV, and that it IS track capable...

Well, yeah. That was never in doubt.

It's also pretty much in line with my point. To put it another way: If the Macan is this good, imagine how good a smaller, lighter 4-seat Porsche could be.

To put it another way: If the Macan is this good, imagine how good a smaller, lighter 4-seat Porsche could be.

The real question is:

Can they make it not hideous?

The looks of the Panamera are the only real complaint against it.
If all they do is make a smaller Panamera, and keep the same hideous rear end treatment, then they're going to have another ugly vehicle that drives fantastically.

BC.

True.

To be fair, though, the Panamera seemed to have no trouble with sales despite its looks.
21.gif

True.

To be fair, though, the Panamera seemed to have no trouble with sales despite its looks.
21.gif

They are almost as common as Camrys around here, driven by all of the upscale 'family man' yups/execs/etc. whose wives would not allow them to get a 911/Cayman/Boxster.
lol.gif

They are just as fast if you option them right, and just as expensive. They start at around $100k for a lightly optioned one, Porsche claims just under $80k but that's [censored]. From their they march right up and past $200k for the real fast examples.

Just ugly as sin, I have a fair bit of seat time in a couple. Love them, considered getting one, just ugly.

They will do stuff that no large 4 door will do, and in proper spec will pull on just about anything short of a GTR or something really hot.

I wouldn't consider it a step down from a 911, its certainly a step up from Porsche's cheaper cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back