I still have the Blazer. Fun for all on this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: pair of Blazers
the 96+ heads and intake are of a different design completely, not to mention the ECM.

I figured as such. Any truth to them saying that these "Early Vortec" heads from 1995 yield a 10% BETTER AIRFLOW than the other years heads of the 4.3 (I am assuming 91-ish to 1994?) - That is a sentence in the big, pages long FAQ about VIN W and VIN Z engines...and Tonawanda and Romulus interchangeability and etc on s-10forums.com (the one with the article about the Big 3 upgrade.) I have seriously thought of taking my 4.3 to a machine shop. Maybe for a bore and stroke..

or, just to see what on earth the inside looks like, then replace/fix/mill from there. If there is no hole in the head, or warpage. In which case, new head.. i don't know. My thoughts fell apart mid-paragraph. Let me separate them.

How about injection off a VIN Z of comparable year? (ECM issues, right?) Or.. Have i hears that some use the fuel injection of a GM 3400? .. simply asking if there is any way to rig up something different, if any S-10 modders have spent weekends in yards or online looking for parts.

I hear the spiders are VERY problematic. And a member here sells.. but only for 96 and up.

Just some thoughts here..
Or instead of turning it into a Franken-Blazer just to make it work like it's supposed to, you could sell it and buy something that does work like it's supposed to.

Ahhh, you missed it. This truck has high sentimental value. It's not for sale.

Some may look at it and scratch their head, but I see a vehicle with a remanufactured drivetrain and a rust lesson.
Lol remanufactured drivetrain? I assume a remanufactured drivetrain would be able to run and shift correctly though...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I would wait a year until you can register this as a collector car.

Then bolt on an Edelbrock manifold and carb and be done with it.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/manifolds/chevy/performer-v6.shtml

cool.gif

mine is way more fun to drive than it was stock.
.030 over cam, 96+ heads Edel manifold.........................
you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: yeti

well first off those tires look low.

Air goes in the tires. Not sure how they do it in Canadia, but. It helps me run from Abominable Snowmen. I think they may even be snow tires. They run on air.

'prone -- I don't know how you did that, but that quote was not from me. krismoriah72 wrote that, from page 1. and,you cannot outrun a yeti.that's why we've never been discovered.
Quattro -- understood.
take care, guys.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
"any thoughts"

well first off those tires look low. I would look into Nitrogen instead of oxygen. Nitrogen is synthetic and will help you spin the tires easier also.

Wipers look factory.. you should get the chrome ones from autozone to really set it off.

Looks like factory headlights, take them out and go HID.

Dont worry about the spider. Seafoam fixes that problem pretty fast. Just pour it in and it repairs as you drive.

My HIDs got stolen before. Do you like my grille work? ..

Your HID's were stolen from your sealed beam headlights? I am just assuming you have not done an h4 conversation.

Why don't you simply get rid of all this junk that you're throwing money at, purchase 1 simple and reliable vehicle, and spend your time doing something constructive?

Even if you had to part with all the junkers you have for scrap value, you'd still have enough to purchase something decent.

And given your financial situation, I highly doubt that you can afford upkeep and insurance on all the junkers you currently have. You'd be both money and time ahead.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Why don't you simply get rid of all this junk that you're throwing money at, purchase 1 simple and reliable vehicle, and spend your time doing something constructive?

That's just not his MO on this forum.

BC.

Originally Posted By: yeti
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: Danno

well first off those tires look low. I would look into Nitrogen instead of oxygen. Nitrogen is synthetic and will help you spin the tires easier also.

wut? That's a new one ....

Wow! 78% of the Earth's atmosphere is synthetic!

I didn't know SeaFoam could fix a leaking SCPI Spider

since air is nearly 80% nitrogen, I always laughed at people trying to sell nitrogen to me, and others. I laugh harder at the ones that do buy it.
looks like another of 'prones magical threads.
'prone -- your truck looks good, and your grill is purty.
I don't understand some of the content in your posts, but I'm trying. it must be me.
anyway,keep doing your own thing, as you seem to be happy.a lot of people pay good money to get like that. have a good day, man.

While the air might be about 80% Nitrogen it takes an air separation facility to make pure liquid and gaseous Nitrogen and it is not cheap.

I worked for Air Products and Chemicals for awhile at a plant that made Oxygen, Nitrogen and Argon. How do you think they get straight up dry Nitrogen? You have to condense it at -320 degrees to separate it from all the other gasses in the atmosphere.
Hint, it is not free. When they sell you Nitrogen it is 99.98 percent pure,(or should be if that is what it really is) which means it was processed at an air separation facility like Air Products, Air Liqude, Praxair etc.
Now having said all that do you need Nitrogen in your tires? Nope.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

While the air might be about 80% Nitrogen it takes an air separation facility to make pure liquid and gaseous Nitrogen and it is not cheap.

I worked for Air Products and Chemicals for awhile at a plant that made Oxygen, Nitrogen and Argon. How do you think they get straight up dry Nitrogen? You have to condense it at -320 degrees to separate it from all the other gasses in the atmosphere.
Hint, it is not free. When they sell you Nitrogen it is 99.98 percent pure,(or should be if that is what it really is) which means it was processed at an air separation facility like Air Products, Air Liqude, Praxair etc.

Do the shops pull a vacuum on the tires before filling them with Nitrogen? If not, there's still "regular air" in tire, which totally negates all the benefits of Nitrogen.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

Do the shops pull a vacuum on the tires before filling them with Nitrogen? If not, there's still "regular air" in tire, which totally negates all the benefits of Nitrogen.

Don't know, don't care. I don't use nitrogen in my tires.

My point was pure Nitrogen is not free, unless you have your own power source or air separation facility.
Like this
air_products.jpg

or this
pltse3c.jpg

Plant I worked at used 8 megawatts a day to produce the Argon, Oxygen and Nitrogen in pure form. Plus the rest of the over head associated with running a business.

Nitrogen gets ripped off near the top of the column. Oxygen near the bottom. Argon somewhere near the middle. Oxygen and Nitrogen come out of the column almost pure. Argon has to go to a separate smaller plant where hydrogen is added. It attaches itself to the oxygen which forms water. That water drains from the process and you are left with pure Argon.
All air separation is based off the Boiling/condensing point of the respective gas. The column or "cold box" is different temperatures at different points...

air_separation_plant.png

Ok I am done geeking out. I loved that job. The current one just pays better, has a 12 minute commute vs 1 hours and I have more time at home.

I just need to correct people when the say Nitrogen is free. Atmospheric air containing 78 percent Nitrogen is. Anything pure cost money.

Sorry for the thread highjack, but now you know how PURE nitrogen is obtained and most likely more than you ever wanted to know about air separation.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The spider is the fuel injector unit.

Is there a reason why it sucks so much?

I really wish I could put 1996-newer injection on there. It is my understanding that this cannot be done.

That is because 1996 and later engines had sequential fuel injection. Before that, the spider injectors would fire in batches.

You could do this if you were ready to spend tons of money and gain very little in performance, so don't bother.

You aren't the only one to have nostalgic feelings for a car that was never famous. I still think of mom's 1985 Maxima, it was like combining Tron and Knight Rider and fitting it to a family car. There were numerous digital accessories, but the instrument cluster was analog because that is what mom preferred. However, it had the sort of wireframe graphic design that was cool in the 1980s.

My point was pure Nitrogen is not free, unless you have your own power source or air separation facility.
Like this
air_products.jpg

or this
pltse3c.jpg

Plant I worked at used 8 megawatts a day to produce the Argon, Oxygen and Nitrogen in pure form. Plus the rest of the over head associated with running a business.

Nitrogen gets ripped off near the top of the column. Oxygen near the bottom. Argon somewhere near the middle. Oxygen and Nitrogen come out of the column almost pure. Argon has to go to a separate smaller plant where hydrogen is added. It attaches itself to the oxygen which forms water. That water drains from the process and you are left with pure Argon.
All air separation is based off the Boiling/condensing point of the respective gas. The column or "cold box" is different temperatures at different points...

air_separation_plant.png

Ok I am done geeking out. I loved that job. The current one just pays better, has a 12 minute commute vs 1 hours and I have more time at home.

I just need to correct people when the say Nitrogen is free. Atmospheric air containing 78 percent Nitrogen is. Anything pure cost money.

Sorry for the thread highjack, but now you know how PURE nitrogen is obtained and most likely more than you ever wanted to know about air separation.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

All you need today is one of these:
handson_medium.png

Tire shops use membrane separators of various sizes that provide ~95% nitrogen.

Ed

Right but it is not dry and it is not pure. It could not be used in medical or industrial applications such as the building of aircraft.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

That's just not his MO on this forum.

BC.

No, that is a fair question...

As to THIS TRUCK. This PARTICULAR, EXACT truck. The green and tan one I been posting pictures of.. "Even though" it has a great interior, and "Even though" it has a rust monster lurking.. This truck has SENTIMENTAL VALUE.

I ALREADY KNOW working on this truck could be called a "waste." All I am saying is that.. THIS TRUCK? .. can't be. Because of the sentimental value.

As to the Honda? .. I have never had a car stolen, nor recovered. So, again: Sentimental.

And the Expedition is actually NOT a piece of junk, it simply is entering into maintenance for the first time in its life. And it is doing so, with me. So, make of that what you will. (I am SURE I would catch more flack if I never touched it, and let it start failing.)

Don't think that I can't have intelligent conversations. Today is an absolutely marvelous day.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
"any thoughts"

Wipers look factory.. you should get the chrome ones from autozone to really set it off.

Looks like factory headlights, take them out and go HID.

Dont worry about the spider. Seafoam fixes that problem pretty fast. Just pour it in and it repairs as you drive.

My HIDs got stolen before. Do you like my grille work? ..

Your HID's were stolen from your sealed beam headlights? I am just assuming you have not done an h4 conversation.

Stolen from the Honda.

Thinking of what all is involved with the Rear Main seal...

As to THIS TRUCK. This PARTICULAR, EXACT truck. The green and tan one I been posting pictures of.. "Even though" it has a great interior, and "Even though" it has a rust monster lurking.. This truck has SENTIMENTAL VALUE.

I ALREADY KNOW working on this truck could be called a "waste." All I am saying is that.. THIS TRUCK? .. can't be. Because of the sentimental value.

As to the Honda? .. I have never had a car stolen, nor recovered. So, again: Sentimental.

You could try to rationalize anything as having sentimental value. But the fact is, being sentimental is costing you dearly here. If you were filthy rich, then holding onto turds would not be questioned. Alas...

Quote:

And the Expedition is actually NOT a piece of junk, it simply is entering into maintenance for the first time in its life.

Don't take it the wrong way, Joseph, but a 16-year-old vehicle that has not been maintained is a piece of junk, for all intents and purposes. But yeah, out of the three vehicles that you "look after", this one seems to be in slightly better shape than the others.
smile.gif
It will withstand your "love" slightly longer than the others before it gives up the ghost.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You could try to rationalize anything as having sentimental value. But the fact is, being sentimental is costing you dearly here. If you were filthy rich, then holding onto turds would not be questioned. Alas...

Quote:

And the Expedition is actually NOT a piece of junk, it simply is entering into maintenance for the first time in its life.

Don't take it the wrong way, Joseph, but a 16-year-old vehicle that has not been maintained is a piece of junk, for all intents and purposes. But yeah, out of the three vehicles that you "look after", this one seems to be in slightly better shape than the others.
smile.gif
It will withstand your "love" slightly longer than the others before it gives up the ghost.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT, QP!
thumbsup2.gif

And I don't know how this thread generally got off on Nitrogen in tires (so stupid.) But...

I more or less want to weigh the things I can do for the Blazer.

Let us not entertain the idea of "getting rid of it." Sentimental value may seem stupid, or silly, or stupid is as stupid does, or.. odd. Or, as QP suggested, a "rationalization."

I would seriously like to get the engine looked at. Diagnosed first, sure. But maybe ultimately to a machine shop. I keep saying "bored and stroked.." Is that something that they usually do? So... yeah, I am in a "pit" right now. But using the Honda, I will begin to crawl out of the pit. THE HONDA IS IN PERFECT SHAPE. YOU CAN'T GET AROUND THAT ONE.

The three vehicles now are the:

1. Honda. (NOT a P.O.S.; actualky runs perfect. Save the bile.)

I have many shots, but I stay with my sunroof open..

740551dbec33ff7ffeef150171156bf0.jpg

54510e54174f368a8ce21cc2fa8d8871.jpg

Even parked it next to a Ferrari.

cb4b90c68a8134a9e823adef755bad1f.jpg

293543762363221aad2568c4a148c27d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back