I need some tomato sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to my best four legged friend, my wife and I get to smell some nasty skunk for the next few days. I took my dog outside and it was dark. He made a run for something in the backyard and before I saw it, I could smell it. I did have some skunk shampoo and I think it works wonders but the smell is so powerful. The blast happened about 300' from the front door but you can smell it and its strong. Poor dog took a direct hit. This is him after a bath feeling sorry for himself since nobody will pay any attention to him.

cooper by JOHN, on Flickr

my vet told me no animals that have been skunked are allowed in their facility. Not sure why. It already stinks in there.

Tomato juice works, a milk bath also helps to neutralize the odor, but you will just need some time. Your dog feels bad enough about this don't ignore him!

Mouthwash works good. You have to be very careful around the mouth and eyes for obvious reasons.

1qt 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap
Mix wash rinse shampoo do NOT store above material.

I learned the formula when my Samoyed closed in on a skunk a while back. She got so close all the spray soaked her face, chest and front of legs. There was little or none left to go into the air.
She was dripping with skunk. Pretty horrid stuff. It's the thiols!

Originally Posted By: dave123
1qt 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap
Mix wash rinse shampoo do NOT store above material.

Thats what i've used, not really measured though. With gloves on, i wipe the dog down with paper towels first to get what ever they will absorb first before wetting him with the above solution. Even then the dog will have a stink for a month. It will even be on his breath!

About a year ago, my border collie took a direct hit to the nose from a skunk and my yellow lab came to the rescue to kill the skunk. This happened about 5:00 in the morning, about 60 yards upwind from my house. I really felt sorry for both dogs, but after the initial coughing and wheezing, they were fine. It also happened right in front of my kid's T-bird. My kid was not the least bit happy and he parked the car for about two weeks. About two months after that, I had to change the fuel pump in the car and I still caught a whiff of the skunk smell every now and then.
I hope your dog is okay.

My parents had black labs that used to get sprayed periodically during their night time walk in the park. They eventually decided that apple cider vinegar was the most effective at removing the odor. You may want to give it a try. Good luck.

Beyond the homeopathic stuff I'd suggest natures miracle products for Skunk odor. They uses enzymes specific to what odor listed and actually work.

They are available at decent pets places and normally $5-$10. Our cat got sprayed and it helped immensely.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
About a year ago, my border collie took a direct hit to the nose from a skunk and my yellow lab came to the rescue to kill the skunk. ...

To the rescue? The dogs were the aggressors.

Poor little rodent ... Now what is going to eat the grubs out of your topsoil?

Dog seems fine. We got something called skunk off from the vet. Too bad my house smells so bad now. I had to breathe that in all night.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
To the rescue? The dogs were the aggressors.

Poor little rodent ... Now what is going to eat the grubs out of your topsoil?

Your post almost brought tears to my eyes.....almost.
The skunk was the aggressor because he was after my chickens.
And yes, the chickens keep the grubs out of my topsoil. Or will you now say my chickens are the aggressors.....?
Do you care that some of the skunks in my area have tested positive for rabies?

That reminds me. Although I don't think my dog got bit by that end of the skunk, I called my vet to make sure he was up to date on his rabies vac. He is so that's good.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Thanks to my best four legged friend, my wife and I get to smell some nasty skunk for the next few days. I took my dog outside and it was dark. He made a run for something in the backyard and before I saw it, I could smell it. I did have some skunk shampoo and I think it works wonders but the smell is so powerful. The blast happened about 300' from the front door but you can smell it and its strong. Poor dog took a direct hit. This is him after a bath feeling sorry for himself since nobody will pay any attention to him.

cooper by JOHN, on Flickr

Very nice looking dog
smile.gif
. Take good care of him

Imagine how your poor friend feels, since his sniffer is much more sensitive than ours. No wonder he looks a little concerned. He probably wants a treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back