I may have DESTROYED my TRANSMISSION, atf change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Its troubling that I couldnt and dont really feel comfortable doing a pan drop. I wonder about the additives reaping havoc grabbing gunk up and slinging it around and plugging the filter. Paranoia mostly. It cant be bad to have fresh fluid can it.

The gunk you imagine it grabbing up and slinging around is imaginary gunk, you have no idea if it exists or not (it probably does not).

Paranoia is correct.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Its troubling that I couldnt and dont really feel comfortable doing a pan drop. I wonder about the additives reaping havoc grabbing gunk up and slinging it around and plugging the filter. Paranoia mostly. It cant be bad to have fresh fluid can it.

The gunk you imagine it grabbing up and slinging around is imaginary gunk, you have no idea if it exists or not (it probably does not).

Paranoia is correct.

Well, the drain plug did have a grey film on it. It wasn't like motor oil sludge chunks but I can imagine if that was the drain plug, there must be a soot-like film on the pan.

Drain and fill is fine; the concern historically has been flushing a neglected transmission, especially if any kind of solvent is involved.

Next time change the filter as well doing a drain and fill; super easy on Toyotas, and it should be good to go for many more 10s of thousands of miles. No need to worry!

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: JC1
Why does your subject heading not match the posting details?

A typical attention grabbing headline to get attention. He loves attention.

Kind of like the guy running for President with the same first name as me?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
ChrisFix has a brand new Youtube video explaining tranny fluid change myths:

Eesh, looks like mine was borderline "damaged". I had a piece of towel with more drops on it in one spot ( as his do) and mine looks about that dark of concentrated in several drops. Kinda glad I got it out.... I hope.

I do not believe the myth that old fluid will ever "keep a transmission going" and new fluid will kill it. So I don't know what the worry is. If it dies now, its from age, not from the new fluid.

Well, the drain plug did have a grey film on it. It wasn't like motor oil sludge chunks but I can imagine if that was the drain plug, there must be a soot-like film on the pan.

It's just clutch material, they all have that. It is insoluble in the fluid whether new or old.

Are you being serious, SumpChump?

I thought you was being sarcastic and "whiny" to make a point....but I think you really are "worried".

Get a hold of yourself, dude. It's gonna be okay. You changed out some ATF in your car.

No big deal.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Are you being serious, SumpChump?

I thought you was being sarcastic and "whiny" to make a point....but I think you really are "worried".

Get a hold of yourself, dude. It's gonna be okay. You changed out some ATF in your car.

No big deal.

Ok. Got it (self-face slap). I was having a moment like this.

irritating3_2352373b.jpg

Changing the fluid 3.25 quarts at a time is very unlikely to cause you any grief. I don't know how many quarts yours holds, but since it is doubtful that is was ever changed, doing multiple short change intervals would be the way to do it. Just fill it back with the amount that drains out, until the color improves to your liking.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: JC1
Why does your subject heading not match the posting details?

A typical attention grabbing headline to get attention. He loves attention.

This OCD, attention loving SPAZ topics.. I'd call it trollish ,but he seems concerned.

EVERY TOPIC IS END OF THE WORLD SERIOUS GO IN AND READ IT NOW type.

Still not as bad as GHT or he would be on his 15th bitog name too. (Hi spillips and your backup name as well)

Ignore the dots and specks in the photos, dirt got behind my iPhone lens.

What do you mean by BEHIND the camera lens ? You mean ON the camera lens don't you ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Ignore the dots and specks in the photos, dirt got behind my iPhone lens.

What do you mean by BEHIND the camera lens ? You mean ON the camera lens don't you ?

Ah yes I meant behind the glass element and in front of the lens. Actually technically the dust is on the rear innerside of the protective flat glass element. I have no clue on hiw to clean that off other than taking the whole iPhone 5s apart.

I think all Aisin trans fluid looks like that, or something. Or worse, gauging by various threads on the internet. Mine was about that color too when I drained it after 80k--which was 40k ago. Today, any gripes I have is from trans programming, not slippage.

I did a cooler line flush on the Volvo last month. 150k on the OD with the original fluid.

I was worried about the internet folklore, but after some persuasion here, I went ahead and did it anyway since it was slipping.

She shifts so smooth now.

Originally Posted By: supton
I think all Aisin trans fluid looks like that, or something. Or worse, gauging by various threads on the internet. Mine was about that color too when I drained it after 80k--which was 40k ago. Today, any gripes I have is from trans programming, not slippage.

Yep - all of the WS that I have drained from various Toyota transmissions look like the OP's pictures....even at very low mileage (
I usually do a cooler line flush with 12 quarts of WS and tell the owner to come back in 60k.

If anything - you extended the life of it.

A friend of mine had a 1996 Cherokee with 250K miles on it. The fluid was darker than used diesel engine oil; it was never changed. He did a few drain and fills and the transmission did not die.

It didn't stop the Jeep from rusting in half, though.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If anything - you extended the life of it.

A friend of mine had a 1996 Cherokee with 250K miles on it. The fluid was darker than used diesel engine oil; it was never changed. He did a few drain and fills and the transmission did not die.

It didn't stop the Jeep from rusting in half, though.

It might've if he'd sprayed it on the chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back