2015 rav 4 atf fluid change from cooler line, tips and tricks?

If the Castrol is working for you, I would stick with it. I've used Castrol and Valvoline in a high mileage ex-Hertz Altima with excellent results. It was black as night when I started; after 5 spill-and-fills, 100K more miles (180K now) it is doing great.
I use Amsoil cvt fluid in my accord and will continue to do so.

The Castrol cvt fluid is getting harder to find so may have to eventually go to the Castrol atf/cvt universal fluid for her car.

I had one ATF change on my 2015 Rav4 AWD (85K miles) at valvoline before.
This time I did it myself with a scan tool and full procedure to drain the excess at 105F atf oil temp. What I found was 1 qt extra in it!!! I guess this is something I have to do myself from now on. I used 50/50 mix of Idemitsu TLS-LV (WS) and Amsoil SS ATF.

I had one ATF change on my 2015 Rav4 AWD (85K miles) at valvoline before.
This time I did it myself with a scan tool and full procedure to drain the excess at 105F atf oil temp. What I found was 1 qt extra in it!!! I guess this is something I have to do myself from now on. I used 50/50 mix of Idemitsu TLS-LV (WS) and Amsoil SS ATF.
nice even with the extra 1qt it was shifting fine? or was it off?

ty did u watch a certain video for our rav 4? i was thinking tranny cooler lines off that aluminum cooler thing on driver side under hood

ty did u watch a certain video for our rav 4? i was thinking tranny cooler lines off that aluminum cooler thing on driver side under hood
np, this video was good for using a funnel and hose (OD 1/2) instead of a pump

make sure you start with a cold transmission. I used a OBD2 device that could measure tranny oil temp, at start draining extra oil at 104 degree. If you do not have OBD2 then car care nut has a complete video on how to do it with a couple wires

maybe try it beforehand so that you are comfortable with the procedure.
Also don't forget a new drain crush washer, otherwise it will leak like a drop a day, I had that experience with valvoline quick lube before.

all done! used the castrol transmax cvt atf universal. ran around 10-12 quarts to fully flush the system. Was a fun job and tbh the tranny shifts and feels better. Must be the thicker fluid that is cushioning the shifts more!

Back