I have a boat 84 Mercruiser, 5.7L 260 sterndrive alpha one gen one

84 Mercruiser 5.7L, 260 sterndrive, alpha one gen one. Last time out was beginning of March with no issues, ran fine. Expecting the grandkids in a few weeks so I filled up a large tote with water today, lowered the out-drive and went to start it to be sure it was still running fine. The starter sounded like it was engaging as normal for a second then it sounded like it was just spinning. I could only see the front of the engine (alternator, water pump...) so I turned around and tried a second time to start it. Nothing on the front pulleys even budged but it started something in the back of the engine spinning. It continued spinning until I turned the batteries off. Anyone know what might have happened?

Starter solenoid on a GM can power the starter but not engage the bendix into the flywheel teeth. In essence the starter spins but not the engine. Also the solenoid can power the starter and engage the bendix as it should but a defective bendix will freewheel on the flywheel teeth. Sounds like a shorted/defective solenoid if it operates the starter motor without the key switch as well as not engaging the bendix. Keep us posted.

All the rust and gunk around the starter reminded me my cover broke during our last rain storm while I was out of town . It was under water for a few days. I appreciate any and all replies. Thank you

All the rust and gunk around the starter reminded me my cover broke during our last rain storm while I was out of town . It was under water for a few days. I appreciate any and all replies. Thank yo

1684430016302.jpg

Replace the starter...and prepare for more electrical problems. ALWAYS store your boat with the drain plug out, or at least a working bilge pump. Great way to ruin the boat, and bend the trailer.

New starter and solenoid is needed/called for. Spray down the entire engine and wiring with Mercruiser corrosion guard once the starter is replaced. If the battery is older than 4 years, even 3 replace that too.
Depending how bad everything is, I would most likely spray a light oil on all electrical connections first.

New starter and solenoid is needed/called for. Spray down the entire engine and wiring with Mercruiser corrosion guard once the starter is replaced. If the battery is older than 4 years, even 3 replace that too.
Depending how bad everything is, I would most likely spray a light oil on all electrical connections first.
Boeshield is good for spraying on engine and wiring.

Boeshield is good for spraying on engine and wiring.
Perfect, Good tip, thanks, I just ordered some from Amazon in addition to Quicksilver Corrosion Guard.
I prefer to spray down all electrical contacts with something oily... and maybe the Boeshield will be the perfect fit.

I also like the Quicksilver for non electrical and electrical use when I used to boat for decades only in salt water, from day one I always would use it as I have found its thick coating on things like engine intakes, valve covers ect always prevented rust and prevented copper wires from that green corrosion that would take place..

Here is my story, though in my current world. We just moved back to the coast after boating with a boat that was always exclusively (almost) in fresh water so I haven't sprayed as much as I used to. Now that, in the coming month the boat will only be used in salt water I want to soak down electrical connections with an oily protectant.
Corrosion guard isnt as much an oil as it is more like a tacky protectant and that is fine if from day one it is used but right now I want to get oily substance every electrical place I can.

Perfect, Good tip, thanks, I just ordered some from Amazon in addition to Quicksilver Corrosion Guard.
I prefer to spray down all electrical contacts with something oily... and maybe the Boeshield will be the perfect fit.

I also like the Quicksilver for non electrical and electrical use when I used to boat for decades only in salt water, from day one I always would use it as I have found its thick coating on things like engine intakes, valve covers ect always prevented rust and prevented copper wires from that green corrosion that would take place..

Here is my story, though in my current world. We just moved back to the coast after boating with a boat that was always exclusively (almost) in fresh water so I haven't sprayed as much as I used to. Now that, in the coming month the boat will only be used in salt water I want to soak down electrical connections with an oily protectant.
Corrosion guard isnt as much an oil as it is more like a tacky protectant and that is fine if from day one it is used but right now I want to get oily substance every electrical place I can.
I would just read the label. Some sprays may not do good for wiring and rubber.

IN my honest opinion,,,,, Water is the worst possible thing for boats. I have owned 4 boats over my life time !

Back