Acura / Honda 3.5 v6 timing belt frustration!

Did you reconnect the ground on the passenger side engine mount bracket?

Could you have inadvertently loosened this one?

No. I used a torque wrench on everything. Just drove it and emissions code came back, of course.

For a replacement pin, use a drill bit.

My first thought is that you did not remove all of the slack between the two cam pullies, but that usually results in the cam (or the crank) jumping a tooth - which you confirmed was not the case.

The only other possibilities are: 1) timing belt is out of spec in some way, 2) need to perform the CKP relearn

Personally I'm a little weary of Aisin kits after my bad experience last year - a Pilot jumped several teeth after 10k+ miles for no apparent reason.

So I can't do the manual relearn as far as I can tell because the transmission doesn't have a manual mode to put it in 2nd gear. Just a "sport" mode.
I stopped by a parts store and checked the codes. It showed 3 of the p2610 codes. One new and 2 stored/permanent.
Guess I have no choice but to take it to a shop for a diagnostic :( $$$

Last edited:
Is it a P2160 in addition to the P2610 you listed in post #102? Or was the 2610 a typographic error?

I think you need to find a second set of eyes to look over this car.
Like what?
Timing marks line up. Drives fine.
What would you look for?
What would cause both a P2610 trouble code and an "emissions fault" warning to display?
Next step is to have a shop with a more detailed engine diagnostic computer look at it.
Did you see the pic in post #102 showing the 2 items that didn't "pass" while using my neighbor's OBD2 device?

P2610 has absolutely nothing to do with engine timing. Code descirption is PCM ignition off internal TIMER malfunction. The evap tests that have not run wont run until the ignition is off for a period of time and there are other tests that need the engine to have been off a certain amount of time before it is restarted to run. There is an issue internal to the engine control module with the timer that counts that time. Testing in the factory service info is pretty simple, if code is set current as current update engine control module software, clear and drive. If code comes back or no software updates available engine control module needs to be replaced and then programmed.

That said, as you were just working in the area of the PCM and I would assume either disconnected the PCM or unbolted and moved the PCM, I would voltage drop test all PCM powers and grounds and check terminal tension before condemning a PCM.

Like what?
Timing marks line up. Drives fine.
What would you look for?
What would cause both a P2610 trouble code and an "emissions fault" warning to display?
P2610 has absolutely nothing to do with engine timing. Code descirption is PCM ignition off internal TIMER malfunction. The evap tests that have not run wont run until the ignition is off for a period of time and there are other tests that need the engine to have been off a certain amount of time before it is restarted to run. There is an issue internal to the engine control module with the timer that counts that time. Testing in the factory service info is pretty simple, if code is set current as current update engine control module software, clear and drive. If code comes back or no software updates available engine control module needs to be replaced and then programmed.

That said, as you were just working in the area of the PCM and I would assume either disconnected the PCM or unbolted and moved the PCM, I would voltage drop test all PCM powers and grounds and check terminal tension before condemning a PCM.
Thank you! I'll check all ECM the connections.

Please accept my apology. I was in the middle of some things when I read your post and for some crazy reason I thought you were talking about the engine mount bolts on the passenger side, which is why I mentioned I had torqued those bolts.
Anyway, you and Timmastertech MAY have found the solution! I don't want to curse myself and say it's fixed, but it's been running for a while and no code yet!
The grounding wire from the engine to the bracket it mounts to was secure, BUT the bracket itself wasn't bolted to the chassis! I must've taken it off and because of the large wire loom I couldn't even see it wasn't bolted down. Thanks for the advice!

I checked all the wiring around the ECM and discovered the bracket with the grounding wire from the engine wasn't bolted to the chassis. I've bolted it down and it's been running for awhile we no code yet. Crossing my fingers! THANK YOU

I checked all the wiring around the ECM and discovered the bracket with the grounding wire from the engine wasn't bolted to the chassis. I've bolted it down and it's been running for awhile we no code yet. Crossing my fingers! THANK YOU

Welp! The code came back. D@mn it! Off to the shop it goes next week. I give up. 😡😡😡

Back