I hate getting nickel and dimed at the dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06
I've bought about 4 or 5 aftermarket radiators and none of them came with a new cap.
True for me as well. My cap's still working with 330K on it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We're you not under the standard factory warranty? The radiator was not covered?
A 7 year old car with a factory warranty? Even a radiator isn't powertrain so it would be a 3 year warranty.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Why should a new radiator come with a new cap?

Why not new hoses also? Maybe a few gallons of coolant? Maybe a new water pump? How about a new fan and shroud? I mean, this stuff is all connected together, right? It should all be included!

Umm...because many of them actually DO come with a new cap? So your straw man regarding water pumps and fan shrouds makes no sense whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Everything will be itemized on repair bill.

This doesn't help. If the rad cap is not included with the radiator, it will not be itemized. If it is included with the radiator, it will typically not be itemized.

93k?

And we expect everything for free?
21.gif

I'd much rather pay for a radiator and its cap than to replace a defective head on a largely depreciated value priced old car.
Has Honda's goodwill contributed to the "hate" you're suffering?

Of course some folks are cheap [censored] who'll [censored] about anything.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
93k?

And we expect everything for free?
21.gif

Umm...nobody said or even implied this, especially as it relates to mileage, but nice straw man. To clarify: some of us are used to rads coming with caps (describes 2/2 I've purchased).

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
The latest craze, obsessing over a radiator cap.
27.gif

The latest craze: calling a simple discussion an obsession.

Some radiators come with caps, some don't. None of the four I've done in the past 5 years came with one.

One application is not the same as the next.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, nor consider it nickel and diming, since in my applications, a new cap is separate.

Here's a great example of nickel and diming:
I just ordered new lower ball joints for my Accord. I ordered Honda OEM online from a Honda parts retailer. The new ball joints did not include new castle nuts or cotter pins! After receiving them and not finding the hardware, I looked at the parts diagram more closely and yup, they're sold separately. I guess you can say shame on me for not checking closely the first time, but really, who has ever heard of castle nuts and cotter pins not being included with new ball joints??

I just ordered new lower ball joints for my Accord. I ordered Honda OEM online from a Honda parts retailer. The new ball joints did not include new castle nuts or cotter pins! After receiving them and not finding the hardware, I looked at the parts diagram more closely and yup, they're sold separately. I guess you can say shame on me for not checking closely the first time, but really, who has ever heard of castle nuts and cotter pins not being included with new ball joints??

All of the OEM ones are like this. They are listed as a separate component on the catalog, and therefore do not come with the part. The only time they would is if the part would be called a "ball joint kit" or "ball joint with attaching parts." Ford IACs and EGR valves have been not coming with mounting gaskets for a long time, same with fuel pump assemblies.

Fortunately, cotter pins are cheap!

Wow I can't believe they charged that much for that. I bought 4 quarts of ATF-DW1 and 4 quarts of oil and the guy tossed me the crush washer like flipping a quarter. Didn't get charged for it.

I was looking at RockAuto 2 days ago at crush washers for my civic (2013) and they sell them for 15cents a piece granted you have to buy I think a 10 pack of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back