I bought a 2008 CRV EX-L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is:

https://picasaweb.google.com/hokiefyd/2008HondaCRV#

So far, I'm over the moon with this car. The seat fits me perfect. The transmission acts perfect. The engine is real nice. The exterior and interior are mostly flawless. It has 45k miles, and is in super condition. It was originally sold at Sanford Honda back in 2008, and that's where we bought it today. All service was done at Sanford Honda and check this out: the full service history is in the glove box. It doesn't get much better than that as far as used vehicle documentation!

I got $17,380 for my Camry on trade. I thought that was fair. I paid $16,880 for it back in May 2010. I bought the CR-V for $20,818, which again seems fair. It's certified pre-owned, so has a 1/12 bumper-to-bumper warranty from today, and a 7/100 powertrain warranty from the original in-service date (Feb 2008). They tried to sell me the Honda Care "wrap", which would bring the whole car out to 7/100 also, for $1,505. I said I didn't want it for that price, then told him that the Toyota dealer tried to sell me their version of that for $1,200 and I ended up buying it for $600, so "what can you do about the price?" He came down to $645 for the Honda Care, so I bought that. Overall, I'm very happy with the deal.

Even happier with the car. The EX-L package comes pretty much fully loaded. It has a 6-disc in-dash CD player with XM radio (activated!). Dual-zone automatic climate control. Power moonroof (this one also has the Honda moonroof visor). The power driver seat was optional on the EX-L, and this one has that. The leather seats are super-comfy, and the leather is very soft. I love the gathered/pleated look to it. Overall, the interior materials are absolutely first-rate in this car. It's more than competitive with our MDX. The interior materials far out-class those in the Camry.

I know this K24Z1 engine is a super-engine, but it's louder than I expected. Another one I drove was the same way. A friend of mine says that's very normal for Honda 4-cylinders. You just hear the mechanicals of the engine. It doesn't knock or clank or rattle or anything like that. You can just tell it's a machine. The Camry's engine was awfully refined, and you couldn't even tell it was running sometimes. This is a nice trade-off to me. The engine has plenty of power, but it's not a race car. The Camry could easily out-run it.

I averaged 27mpg on the way home from the dealer (23 miles). That's mostly 55-65mph driving, but still, EPA is 26mpg highway. I hope I can average 25mpg on my commute. I was at 28-29mpg with the Camry.

We love the color. It's called Mystic Green Pearl, with Ivory leather interior. The metallic really pops in the sun. Honda did the interior colors very well I think. All colors and surfaces look very rich and well defined. It's a very pleasing interior, and reminds me some of Audi/VW stuff as far as interior quality/appearance goes.

This uses all the same fluids as the MDX, so service will be easy. Same oil filter as well.

Comments? Think I got a fair deal with the trade?

Very nice! Thats the color and model I wanted but I couldn't find one.
I ended up just getting an '09 EX in alabaster silver metallic. I really wish I would have got the EX-L though, I would love to have the leather and that center console.

Oil changes and air filter changes are super easy. Looks like it has the 4WD sticker on the back windshield, changes of the rear differential are also very easy too.

I love my CR-V, I know you guys are too!

Very good vehicle. For my daughter's 17th b-day I bought her a stinking new '09 EX. Here we are 1/2 way thru '11 and it alreday has >40k mi. Absolutely trouble free. When we were shopping, we test drove an Accord, then the CRV. Then I had the salesman park both side by side and let her choose. The CRV won hands down. Much more utility and useable room.....and it's fun to drive. A plus is that oil and tranny fluid changes are very E-Z! We have made a couple of long trips in it, averaging nearly 30 MPG. Not bad.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I got $17,380 for my Camry on trade. I thought that was fair. I paid $16,880 for it back in May 2010.

you got more than you paid for it? Wow... that is unheard of here.

Thanks guys. Yeah, got more for the Camry than I paid for it. I bought it when gas was cheap and during the recall media storm last year. Now that Toyota's are all of a sudden safe again, and now that gas has gone up again lately, 4-cylinder Toyotas are back in style. The local Toyota dealer can't keep Camrys and Corollas on the lot.

The ATF and Dual Pump fluid on this was just changed in February on the CR-V. So I really am only looking at oil and filter changes, hopefully for many happy years to come. The only repair on this vehicle was a check engine light early on in its life. I don't know what the cause was, but it was "CAUSE CORRECTED". Nothing since but oil changes and free car washes.

The Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires were made in late 2009, and probably installed in 2010. They're past or near half life, with maybe 5-6/32" of tread. I'll likely be changing those at this time next year. We'll see how they wear.

With the purchase, I got a very nice coupon book, with 5 free oil changes from the dealership, a number of free car washes, a free pinstriping application (which I may do), and some other free or reduced items. They (Sanford Honda) did a very nice job with this sale and I'd highly recommend them to anyone in the area, at least based on my experience. I understand a lot of folks from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, as well as folks from Greensboro, come down to Sanford because the dealership has such a good reputation.

When you have to get some new tires, I highly recommend Michelin Latitude Tours. They are fantastic in the rain, snow and on ice. They are supposed to have a 65,000 mile rating. I have almost 15,000 miles on mine and they still look brand new. They ride really nice and are super quiet too. I get about 27mpg in my hilly country area and about 33mpg on the highway on trips. I got mine on tire rack.

I do a drain and refill of the ATF and Rear differential every 15,000 miles. I've heard about the rear diff fluid going out early (mine went out the first time at 13,000 miles, dealer took care of it) so I just change it about every year. And the ATF I've heard it is good to do a drain and fill every 15,000 miles to keep fresh fluid.
The changes are so easy I don't mind doing them every 15,000. Also I buy my stuff from HandA Accessories online and it is way cheaper than going to the dealer to buy as long as you buy a lot off stuff to combat the shipping charge. I usually do one order a year for everything and I end up saving about $40 than going to the dealer.

That's awesome you get some free oil changes and an excellent dealer. Enjoy your new car!

2nd the Lattitudes. That's what I replaced daughters [censored] OEM tires with @ 23k mi. NICE tires.
2nd Handa.com also. Better-than-most prices on aftermarket accessories and OEM routine maintenance stuff and good service.

I like those Latitude Tours. Haven't used any yet, but they look fantastic. Thanks for the tip on the fluids. I need to do the MDX's Z1 fluid soon. I may do the CR-V's fluid more often than Honda recommends. You're right...those fluids are SO easy to change. Honda made maintenance super easy on these things.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Overall, the interior materials are absolutely first-rate in this car. It's more than competitive with our MDX. The interior materials far out-class those in the Camry.

Wow. We sat in a brand new 2010 CRV last year at a dealer, and thought the interior materials felt really cheap. We didn't even want to take it for a test drive at that point as neither of us would have wanted to spend any time inside that thing. But it wasn't an EX model, so maybe that's why. Either that or our points of reference are just very different.

Regarding the color, my bad, it's actually called "Tea Green Metallic". In the confines of my dark garage, relative to being in the sunlight, the car looks a much darker Army green. Out in the sun, the color really lightens up and pops. Paint quality on this car is very good.

Critic, yes, that's the one, and thank you. By the way, Bryan Honda in Fayetteville wanted $19,995 for a 2007 model with 82k miles. It wasn't certified and did not have dual-zone or a power seat. No way!!

Quattro, I think seat material plays a large part in the overall feel of an interior. I sat in a few cloth ones, and although the dash is the same and most other interior parts are the same, you didn't get near the quality feel as you do with the leather seats. The non-EX models also had a flimsier center console "table" that rotates down and out of the way...the EX and EX-L models have a true console mounted to the floor, and it's very solid.

I have not sat or ridden in a BMW. But I have ridden in various newer VW products, including the generally highly-acclaimed previous generation Jetta. The CR-V's interior has a look and feel that's very Germanic to me. I think the instrument cluster with the central computer screen makes that impression on me.

I assume Motor Trend sees a lot of different cars and a lot of different price points, and this is what they said about a 2010 EX-L they comparo tested (and declared it the victor):

Inside the rich, well-executed cabin, which comes replete with nav, backup camera, Bluetooth, satellite radio, heated leather seats, and dual-zone automatic climate control, the Honda's talent show continues. "Surprising elegance at this price level," says Harwood. Evans claims, "Best interior materials in the group. From the quality of the leather to the plastics, the Honda is way above the rest."

"In a class by itself in quality feel, classy interior materials, and carefully wrought details -- looks and feels like a premium piece."

More: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_1003_crossover_suv_comparison/2010_honda_cr_v.html

And they're pretty consistent. They said this about a 2008 model they tested:

Third place goes to the CR-V, largely on the strength of its handsome interior. Smacks of a one-trick pony, but this is a really nice interior-and let's face it, that's where we spend our driving time, right? As with all Hondas, everything about the CR-V feels like it's built to tolerances alien to the hands of slapdash humans.

More: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0806_compact_crossover_comparison/results.html

We love the CR-V, but there are some things I will miss from the Camry, and some things I think Honda could have done better.

1) I loved the Camry's sequential shift mode. Ironically, as one of the "tamest" mid-size sedans out there, it was one of the view that offered a nicely-executed manual mode for the transmission. You could very easily select gears by tapping the shifter forward and backward in the S mode gate. The Honda, by comparison, has a 5-speed transmission, and the shift lever only has D-2-1. D is all 5 speeds, 2 is locked in 2 (no 1st), and 1 is locked in 1. There is a D3 mode button on the side of the shifter, which would be analagous to (and technically is) an "OD off" button. In the Honda 5-speed, both 4th and 5th gears are overdrive gears. However, there is no way to hold this transmission to 4th gear. The Pilot and Odyssey are the same way...not sure why Honda does that. Our MDX will allow us to manually shift through each range, because the shifter gate does have D5-D4-3-2-1.

2) The Camry's ride was fantastically quiet. The CR-V is still good by traditional Honda standards, but the Camry was freakishly quiet. That's one of the things that originally drew me to it, and it is something I will miss. To be sure, the trade-off is isolation from the road, and I think the CR-V strikes a better balance for me, but that serenity in the Camry was unreal (especially at that price point), and I recognize it for that.

3) The base radio in the Camry (mine didn't even have the JBL) is one of the best-sounding base radios I've heard. It had a much fuller range than the Bose system in our MDX (I know Bose doesn't have a stellar reputation in the auto audio business). The unbranded radio in the CR-V sounds similar to the MDX. There is a subwoofer in this CR-V, but I don't know where it is. Either way, the Camry's radio had such a full range of tone and highs were clear and lows were deep and relatively powerful. I will miss that.

4) The Camry's engine was extremely refined for a 4-cylinder. This 2.4L in the Honda is a nice piece, but the Camry's engine was a real gem. It didn't have quite as high a redline (6250 vs. 6500), but it was buttery smooth and quieter overall than the Honda motor. The more I learned about the engine, the more I liked...and disliked...it. The fuel-saving technology in that engine is really cool. I bought the SAE white paper that outlines the development of the AR-series engine. It's a really nice engine. But maintenance worried me. For example, the PCV valve is behind the intake manifold, requiring manifold removal to access it. And the intake manifold is on the firewall side of the engine. I'd easily be an afternoon job for a DIY-er to replace the PCV valve.

I really liked that Camry overall, but had very little emotional reaction to driving away from it last night in the CR-V. I felt worse about selling our 2007 T&C, and that one had quite a history with us. I will often form a strong bond with a car if I like it a lot, and I thought I liked the Camry on the surface, but either never did form a real bond with it, or the bond wore off. I felt sad to see both Cadillacs go, and to see the Corolla go. And the Camry was a fantastic car, and served a great transitional vehicle for us (even though we didn't know it was going to be one), between the Corolla and the CR-V.

My Mom has an 06 CRV which sounds the same as yours. They have new hydroedge tires on it and its a bit noisier than you'd expect. All in all its a good way to get around though, I'm not a fan of the DBW or the steering feel, but maybe they fixed that with new ones.

The road noise on the 2007+ models is supposed to be highly attenuated compared with earlier versions. It is a quiet vehicle. Not as quiet as the Camry (or our MDX), but certainly quieter than older Hondas.

The DBW is good. The best DBWs are the ones that you can't tell are DBWs. My Camry's DBW was light to the touch (almost too light) and it had an annoying dead zone during the first 1/2" of travel, like it was designed-in that way. It was okay, but not ideal.

I've driven a few Honda DBW systems and they've all been transparent to me. They're linear, with no soft or quick zones in response. And they're set up to respond with the slightest of pedal movement, with no dead zone like the Toyota system has.

The CR-V's system is truly cableless. It has an electronic throttle pedal assembly. The system on our MDX is interesting. The throttle pedal assembly is conventional, and is attached to a cable. That cable goes though a firewall grommet, and the cable runs (in a standard cable sheath) over to the passenger side of the engine room, and into a small electrical box. There, it's converted into an electrical signal, and the engine has a conventional DBW throttle body. I like it a lot because you still retain some "engine feel" in the pedal, because the cable actually does go into the engine room.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the car, I just like to find the odd things that my old beaters are better at... Helps keep me in them and not buying something new or newer!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks nice, I would remove that plastic thing in front of your sunroof.

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. Then I drove to work with the moonroof open, and boy was it quiet, like it wasn't even open. It sure makes it more diffiicult to clean, but I use the moonroof a lot, and this makes it much more pleasant. I'd have never guessed; I thought they were only for looks.

I want to get one for the MDX now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back