2018 RAV 4 vs. 2018 CRV

They also ban you when you argue with the Honda shill "williamsji." Honda can do no wrong, Honda designed the engine to do that, etc. etc. Just change your oil sooner, it fine!
I got banned by them for arguing with a blowhard who felt the need to write a novel for every response.

Drive them both. I don’t know those exact years but we own a 2015 CRV. My son and I looked at a newer RAV for him and the handling hands down went to the Honda. The Honda was tight, integrated, and felt like a solid chassis. The RAV felt … like it flexed and twisted down the road. The RAV had a more inviting interior we thought, but as far as planting feet on the ground, I’ll choose the CRV by a wide margin. Plus, as a prior 1.5t owner (son’s car), I’d take another - great engine.

The earlier 1.5T had dillution issues as mentioned. It was why I bought Toyota in 2019. I actually liked the Honda better - nicer interior, but Turbo and CVT - had to pass. I read the CR-V thread before they shut it down. Seems some had big problems, and some had no problem - so roll of the dice I guess.

Thats a lot of money for a 6 year old Cheap midsize SUV. Have you priced new - might be worth looking at least.

Only one vehicle's owner forum has banned discussion on oil dilution...

I actually read what seemed like hundreds of pages of the original thread they "retired" before they did - was in the market at the time. The issue big issue which seemed to blow the thread up is Honda came out with a "fix" that according to many didn't fix anything. There was actually 2 issues - the dilution, and lack of heat in the winter. Some had both problems - they were somehow related, and supposedly both were fixed with some sort of reprogram. However some it fixed, and some it didn't, and some never had the issue to begin with. Honda claimed it was cold weather / short trip but there were guys in the South that seemed also to have the problem. I just decided I didn't need the hassle.

Its always hard to tell with forums. When I bought my Rav4 in 2019 there was a thread about transmission problems - which was apparently a problem for some very early versions. One member would comment on every thread about every topic relative to his transmission sucked - it really became untenable because I do believe he had issues, but seems like almost no one else did - I did not, and the few that did were literally build dates in like the first month, after which no more issues it seemed. Toyota bought the car back - lemon law. Haven't seen him on that board since - but in fairness its fairly a fairly dead forum at this point anyway.

We ended up getting the RAV4 and we love it so far.

I had now idea that the Adventure model we bought has a transmission and an oil cooler. Neat.

Also, it does have some get up and go for a 2.5 NA engine.

Also didn't know until now that it has the torque vectoring AWD and you can lock it in manually under 35 mph which is cool.

I'll post pics later.

Last edited:
Congrats! Sounds like a nice vehicle. I don't think I've ever heard someone complain about their Rav4.

Drive them both. I don’t know those exact years but we own a 2015 CRV. My son and I looked at a newer RAV for him and the handling hands down went to the Honda. The Honda was tight, integrated, and felt like a solid chassis. The RAV felt … like it flexed and twisted down the road. The RAV had a more inviting interior we thought, but as far as planting feet on the ground, I’ll choose the CRV by a wide margin. Plus, as a prior 1.5t owner (son’s car), I’d take another - great engine.
Wide margin --- you realize the Rav4 out sells the CRV "easily" in numbers for a reason.

They also ban you when you argue with the Honda shill "williamsji." Honda can do no wrong, Honda designed the engine to do that, etc. etc. Just change your oil sooner, it fine!
Guessing endless threads of bickering and same thing is enough. Discussing endlessly changes little…,,

for long term reliability is it wise to go with the Toyota which doesn't have a Turbo and CVT transmission?
grumpy_cat_yes.jpg

We ended up getting the RAV4 and we love it so far.

I had now idea that the Adventure model we bought has a transmission and an oil cooler. Neat.

Also, it does have some get up and go for a 2.5 NA engine.

Also didn't know until now that it has the torque vectoring AWD and you can lock it in manually under 35 mph which is cool.

I'll post pics later.

Congrats! That Dynamic Force 2.5 is the same that's in our Camry and I really like it over the old 2AR we had in a 2015. It really has some get up and go. Makes all kinds of weird noises, but after owing a couple Tacoma's with the same injection system I was used to it.

Wide margin --- you realize the Rav4 out sells the CRV "easily" in numbers for a reason.

Facts?

Sure. In 2015,
CRV - 348,730
RAV4 - 315,412

I think you goofed, at least for my model year. :)

Your point also has little to do with my suggestion to drive them both. They do handle differently, and that’s important to some folks. (And I’m a big fan of Toyota, probably over and above Honda at this point).

I personally suspect the 1.5t press gets overblown, also having owned one. We loved ours. It did make some oil early on, which we addressed with shorter OCIs and moving up a weight. My ecoboost does the same. Both got better over time.

My son sold the civic for a Toyota 4R. Good move for him - he needs the cargo space for work/travel. Also a wonderful vehicle. I don’t know if the 1.5t has issues in the CRV that weren’t present in the civic?

-m

Last edited:
Facts?

Sure. In 2015,
CRV - 348,730
RAV4 - 315,412

I think you goofed, at least for my model year. :)

Your point also has little to do with my suggestion to drive them both. They do handle differently, and that’s important to some folks. (And I’m a big fan of Toyota, probably over and above Honda at this point).

I personally suspect the 1.5t press gets overblown, also having owned one. We loved ours. It did make some oil early on, which we addressed with shorter OCIs and moving up a weight. My ecoboost does the same. Both got better over time.

My son sold the civic for a Toyota 4R. Good move for him - he needs the cargo space for work/travel. Also a wonderful vehicle. I don’t know if the 1.5t has issues in the CRV that weren’t present in the civic?

-m
You did say, "drive them both." 2015 is 9 years ago and you and I both know the Rav4 outsells the CRV. Honda and Toyota both make quality products and I did test drive both before purchasing my 2023 Rav4 Hybrid. Toyota got my vote.

Back