2024 GMC Terrain rental

I don't think oil consumption is nearly as common on the 1.5T compared to the 2.4L Ecotec with DI.
That's been my understanding as well. I know the LFV and L3A(? may be wrong on the gen designations) versions of the GM 1.5T might have had some problems, but as far as I know, the latest gen LYX 1.5T hasn't been bad at all. I believe the LYX is only used in the Equinox/Terrain.

That's been my understanding as well. I know the LFV and L3A(? may be wrong on the gen designations) versions of the GM 1.5T might have had some problems, but as far as I know, the latest gen LYX 1.5T hasn't been bad at all. I believe the LYX is only used in the Equinox/Terrain.
Yeah, I think most of the problem were in the first two model years (2016 & 2017) of the Malibu with the 1.5T and they had the problems sorted out with a piston revision for the 2018MY. And even then, it wasn't every engine that had the problem.

I don't think oil consumption is nearly as common on the 1.5T compared to the 2.4L Ecotec with DI.
Not as bad is true but I have already changed 2 of these motors this year.....now the owners never checked their oil so that is on them but the motor should be able to go between oil changes (by OLM) without running bone dry. One had 68k an the other was 106k - both burned over 1.5 qts/1000 miles and with the oil sump holding around 5 qts you can see that by the time an oil change is due there is little to no oil left at that burn rate.

Not as bad is true but I have already changed 2 of these motors this year.....now the owners never checked their oil so that is on them but the motor should be able to go between oil changes (by OLM) without running bone dry. One had 68k an the other was 106k - both burned over 1.5 qts/1000 miles and with the oil sump holding around 5 qts you can see that by the time an oil change is due there is little to no oil left at that burn rate.
That is excessive. Fwd models have 4.2 qt sump, and awd is 5.3 qt. I haven’t seen any using this much oil yet but time will tell.

While I agree that the engines should be able to go the OLM without running completely dry. But two engines replacements this year with how many Equinox's and Terrain's GM has sold seems like a pretty small number and hardly seems like a cause for concern.

I'm sure they're out there, but you don't hear of many issues with the ~2018+ Equinox/Terrain 1.5T. Not even turbo-wise. Same with the 6 and 9spd AT, given the number of them out there. The AWD system on these is easy to service and I know at least up to 2023, there are no annoying fiber panels covering everything under there like most everything else these days.

I have no loyalty to any one brand, but am impressed with our 2021 Traverse and 2016 Malibu at least in terms of comfort, ride, handling, serviceability, etc.

When I have to add another vehicle to my fleet in the next year or so, I'm considering a used Terrain, Equinox, Traverse or Acadia. May even consider a 2021-23 acadia with the LSY 2.0T w/ 9AT.
Get the 3.6 V6 you will be much happier the 2.0 underpowered and sounds a little rough in the Acadia

• Helpful
Reactions: JTK
Get the 3.6 V6 you will be much happier the 2.0 underpowered and sounds a little rough in the Acadia
One thing I didn't realize is the 2020+ GMC Acadia uses the LGX 3.6 which is very different engine than the LFY 3.6 that the 2018+ Traverse uses.

The GM LGX 3.6L uses active cylinder management, has different heads, block, intake, timing components, etc.

One thing I didn't realize is the 2020+ GMC Acadia uses the LGX 3.6 which is very different engine than the LFY 3.6 that the 2018+ Traverse uses.

The GM LGX 3.6L uses active cylinder management, has different heads, block, intake, timing components, etc.
I just looked that up you are correct. Interesting motor just confusing that it seems GM running two 3.6 V6 motors in different vehicles at the same time

I just looked that up you are correct. Interesting motor just confusing that it seems GM running two 3.6 V6 motors in different vehicles at the same time
It really is. Check some of the thermostat replacement videos on the LGX 3.6L vs the LFY.

While I agree that the engines should be able to go the OLM without running completely dry. But two engines replacements this year with how many Equinox's and Terrain's GM has sold seems like a pretty small number and hardly seems like a cause for concern.
That is just my small shop....they are a known issue and the motors are out of stock more then in stock - tells you all you need to know. Every shop I know has replaced several. I get your point and it is a good point but fact is the 2.4 is a problem motor (GM even has TSB/extended warranty for oil use but didn't exactly fix it) and replaced more than other motors except for Hyundai/Kia.

Last edited:
Back