2008 Mercedes ML350

Silver w/black interior. 3.5l V-6 auto
Excellent shape...garage kept.
A trusted neighbor is selling one of these with 130K.
"The only thing wrong with it is the PS pump". Said pump made no noise when his wife started the car.
Is this a good car or a bad car, generally speaking? I know all cars have their quirks.
I find out tomorrow about maintenance history when I talk to the guy.
All I could discern today (very brief look) was some seepage on the lower front of the engine.

Sorry for the vagueness of this question. It'd be my first MB.

Last edited:
Some 2008 models were still affected by the balance shaft issues. $4000-$7000 repair at Indy shop or dealership. Less if DIY, but still not cheap or easy. I'd check the VIN and TSBs around that. At 130k miles I'd pass, unless balance shafts have been taken care of, or if the VIN isn't listed as an affected one.

Last edited:
I know zip about Mercedes. Overhead cam vee engines scare me. Too long chain/belt,guides, tensioners, etc. Running a bank from the back of the engine is a definite non starter. Just saying what would stop me from buying the car. :cool:

Yeah...to all the above. While there's immense "neighborly good vibes" attached with this car...and I know a MB parts guy (for starters); I conclude this is a convenient fantasy car to be avoided.
There are P2 Volvos available should I need to replace my current ride.
Thanks for the input.

Silver w/black interior. 3.5l V-6 auto
Excellent shape...garage kept.
A trusted neighbor is selling one of these with 130K.
"The only thing wrong with it is the PS pump". Said pump made no noise when his wife started the car.
Is this a good car or a bad car, generally speaking? I know all cars have their quirks.
I find out tomorrow about maintenance history when I talk to the guy.
All I could discern today (very brief look) was some seepage on the lower front of the engine.

Sorry for the vagueness of this question. It'd be my first MB.
Those were built like tanks. I'd check out a forum maybe one specific to those to see if there were any major issues that can pop up or are well known. From my understanding the battery on those are really expensive, not sure why.

Back