I almost CAN'T go away from a TOYOTA selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
All cars are boring at the speed limits. Push your machine on public road like Al Unser and they lock you up, a nutcase.

Your 13 Corolla offered Simplicity and Reliability at a higher rate than any vehicle i can think of. However, it leaves a lot to be desired compared to 2016 vehicles.

I have a controversial suggestion: VW Golf. This latest design has a very standardized MBQ platform that will be identical across the whole line in the next few years. You get a great infotainment system stock. You get excellent MPG and power. You get a great deal since VW has a bad reputation lately from diesel cheating. You can get 2 door, 4 door, or even a full wagon like mine. The initial value proposition of the 7th gen Golf is insanely good. I cannot speak to long term reliability or quality but the car is good enough that i decided to take the chance. I've very happy with it and have seen highway runs beating EPA MPG, like 40-45 mpg is possible in my 5 speed gas golf wagon if i keep to like 70 mph.

Agreed about the new Golf it's about as reliable as the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, and price is very competitive.

But the VW Passat is also very good and is a traditional sedan with a VERY good reliability same or better than the Toyota and Honda Camry and Accord. Nicer car to be in for sure for about the same price as the asians.

I agree, the Golf is one of the few small cars I would consider. The others would be Kia Soul and Buick Verano.

OP has already made up his mind, so I wasn't going to bother posting
smile.gif
Besides it's his money, I don't really care what he buys. NOMB

Originally Posted By: hpb
If I was buying a new car and planned to keep it for 10 years or more, it'd more than likely be a Toyota, with Mazda a very close second.

Mazda makes very good vehicles and most of time gets left out of the discussion...I don't know why they're such an overlooked brand...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Toyota is where GM was in the late 90's resting on their laurels. Back in the 90's they built one heck of a car, my 1993 Camry was way, way better than anything GM made at that price point back in 1993.

Now in 2015 the new Camry is a cheap hollow car compared to the domestic offerings; designed with the attitude screw you were Toyota your going to buy it anyway.

Oh and they break just as much as anything else.

Finally someone else who agrees with me about Toyota. I have never liked anything I have sat in from Toyota in the last few years. Back in the 90s yes. Now, garbage interiors and brutal driving dynamics = no dice.

Don't know either about Toyota being so much better than GM. I have a lowlife Cavalier I bought new, taught my son to drive on it (5 speed manual), and the only thing to go wrong with it other than maintenance was a fuel tank vent valve (20 bucks for the Delco part on ebay). Can't do much better than that. Just my opinion but I prefer to support American union workers.

Try to getting 300K or more out of the Cavalier and you'll see the difference...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: hpb
If I was buying a new car and planned to keep it for 10 years or more, it'd more than likely be a Toyota, with Mazda a very close second.

Mazda makes very good vehicles and most of time gets left out of the discussion...I don't know why they're such an overlooked brand...

They might be as good as Toyota for parts reliability, but they are worse for rust, IMO. Skipping Toyota trucks (which have never done well in sales) it seems late model Mazda's have more rust than other cars. All the imports sucked in the rust department in years past, maybe even today--but Toyota eeks out "a bit more simple to repair" with "a bit less likely to repair" and "a bit less likely to rust out", then toss in typical Toyota resale value--so it rises to the top of my list.

YMMV of course.

Originally Posted By: supton
Skipping Toyota trucks (which have never done well in sales)

Maybe Tundras, but Tacomas sell like hotcakes.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
LOL, to the comments about a VW Golf and or Passat being reliable...

Who knows right? However their new 1.8 TSI is in its 3rd generation of engineering, it has an iron block, 9.6 to 1 compression, timing chain, everything on paper looks to be world class.

VW is 2nd in the world in volume so i like to think maybe their massive engineering budget allows them to finally have a super reliable car. My fingers are crossed.

Also i should add that today's Toyota is quite a bit different than Toyota of old. They have stepped up the technology quite a bit and with that comes less reliability no matter who you are. The CVT corolla is not going to out last the OP's '13 model.

If i bought a new Toyota i would be really mad if something went wrong. I would expect flawless reliability.

I bought a new Golf wagon. I more or less expect something to go wrong and will not be mad at all when that happens. I signed up for the higher driving quality and possible lower reliability.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: supton
Skipping Toyota trucks (which have never done well in sales)

Maybe Tundras, but Tacomas sell like hotcakes.

I was thinking about a Tundra to replace the 4 Runner in my sig one day...even test drove it. Really nice truck.

But part of that consideration would be the anticipated reliability of a new Toyota...I want a truck for the next 25 years...one that will last as well as the one I've had...

Originally Posted By: stchman
Hmmm, Hondas have excellent crash tests scores that easily meet BMW or Mercedes crast test scores.

I remember when my brother was t-boned at 40 mph in his Civic coupe and he was able to walk away from the crash. She was driving a big caddy sedan. Car was totaled but the crumble zones did a great job of dispersing the force of the impact. And this was back in 1995 when the car was a year old. So no side airbags just an impact beam in the door.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
although there has been some 6 speed tranny shudder shenanigans on my Camry.

Just last week I took the 2012 Camry into the dealer for an oil change and to have two recalls done. One was for the tranny shudder where they reprogrammed the computer. It may just be a tsb but the service advisor called it a recall. Car is right under 60k miles so happy to have it done.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Also i should add that today's Toyota is quite a bit different than Toyota of old. They have stepped up the technology quite a bit and with that comes less reliability no matter who you are. The CVT corolla is not going to out last the OP's '13 model.

If i bought a new Toyota i would be really mad if something went wrong. I would expect flawless reliability.

I bought a new Golf wagon. I more or less expect something to go wrong and will not be mad at all when that happens. I signed up for the higher driving quality and possible lower reliability.

Heh, I basically agree: when I bought my VW, I *knew* it would have issues. It did, but I anticipated them, and thus I was content. At least until it was time to move on.

If I were to sign on for another VW I'd carefully research all their little quirks, and go in again knowing what to expect.

[Now I do expect to have issues my Toyota's. Brakes, struts, the usual wear items; and eventually something bigger. I just expect less "bigger" things, that's all. And being able to more easily find a shop capable of working on them.]

Originally Posted By: hypervish
LOL, to the comments about a VW Golf and or Passat being reliable...

According to CR the Passat is VERY reliable, and the VW Golf also was rated as reliable as well, but this past first year for the new model is as expected less than average. I'm sure following years will be good as they have in the past.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Don't we have someone on here who put 300k on a Cavalier or a Sunfire?

And I bet the car was falling apart inside and out...my Corollas on the other hand were still quiet, rattle-free, and everything still worked...I've seen many high mileage Cavaliers and they all were a total piece of junk by that time...

I've seen high mileage Cavaliers in great condition, it's all in how they were taken care of. I've seen trashed Corollas too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back