Need Help Choosing a Vehicle.

Why not just get a camper van. Has all the amenities of an RV will the smaller footprint of a van. I couldn't imagine trying to sleep in an SUV.

Dodge-Tradesman-B300-Camper-Van.jpg

Do you paint the side and back windows for privacy?
I first push a sheet of reflectix against the inside of a window. Then I use a marker to stencil around the window. Once I have all of my windows stenciled and cut I then spray glue one side and lay it onto the fabric. Let it sit for 20 minutes then cut around for the end result. It's cheap and ultra stealthy because it creates an illusion that you have tinted windows.

What's your budget? I'm guessing this is likely out of reach, but maybe it'll give you ideas for a build or something else.

Selling my aunt's 2020 RAM ProMaster City for her. Conversion done by Cascade Campers. Price is undecided, but low $30's I'm thinking.

B469C9E5-4BCE-4305-BD23-FF9A689F348B.jpeg
823C6828-5EE5-4E48-BF90-B318F7FB2F65.jpeg
86C2EBF7-CADF-4398-8EF7-EB7EAF10B9E6.jpeg
299A124D-8317-44BE-8B28-463624775239.jpeg

Why not just get a camper van. Has all the amenities of an RV will the smaller footprint of a van. I couldn't imagine trying to sleep in an SUV.

Dodge-Tradesman-B300-Camper-Van.jpg
Those vans are hard to come by with questionable longevity. Why is it hard to sleep in a SUV? I slept in my Mazda CX-5 very comfortably. With the seats still intact but folded down. When I get my new rig I'm pulling the back seats out for a flat surface to put in a diy plywood platform and then ad a twin mattress. Van Life is becoming very popular because of the current state of the economy and housing market. Car dwelling is so affordable. I use iPostal which sets you up with a mailbox at a participating shipping store. I get alerts from the app of new mail that is scanned. If it's junk I submit delete.

My budget will probably be 4k which seems to be the average price of a used Sienna 2nd gen or Sequoia 1st/2nd gen with 150k-200k miles. I'm looking at the cheapest reliable option to get out of Chicago asap. Too much crime.

I watched the Voice on NBC last night. They sometimes do a quick background on those trying to get a spot on the show. A woman in the show lived in her van, maybe a Freightliner and it was in the Colorado Rockies and she said this is my back yard. Maybe someone else here saw it.

Whatever you wind up with consider getting actual window tint, even if it is a DIY and a very light shade. The film being glued on makes it a bit harder to break and if it does it stays together not a million pieces falling. They make like 70% ceramic that also blocks some heat.

Since you’re looking at old-ish vehicles in Chicago, be sure to watch out for rust, especially structural rot that you can’t see without looking under the vehicle. Things like brakes/brake lines, suspension components, and fuel tanks/lines will all be affected.

Those vans are hard to come by with questionable longevity. Why is it hard to sleep in a SUV? I slept in my Mazda CX-5 very comfortably. With the seats still intact but folded down. When I get my new rig I'm pulling the back seats out for a flat surface to put in a diy plywood platform and then ad a twin mattress. Van Life is becoming very popular because of the current state of the economy and housing market. Car dwelling is so affordable. I use iPostal which sets you up with a mailbox at a participating shipping store. I get alerts from the app of new mail that is scanned. If it's junk I submit delete.
Well, I have this 79 Chevy which has the solid 350 V8 and bulletproof transmission. Has refrigerator, stove, sink, running water, toilet, furnace, etc. Maybe in my 20's I could sleep in a folded down seat but wouldn't want to do that now, at least not long term. Plus what do you do if nature calls? If you just want a platform to sleep on, any 20 year old windowless cargo van would work and be in your $4000 budget.

IMG_1255.JPG

Nissan Xterra. They have lots of room behind the front seats, including the interior being much higher than a CUV. They are ultra reliable - so long as you get one without SMOD and replace the radiator. There pretty cheap, and the 2wd's are super cheap.

I have lots of miles on mine. I have never lived in it, but when I was using it for work it often felt like I did :ROFLMAO:

What do you do during the day and to earn money?
You can do anything tbh. Living in a van or SUV isn't that big of a difference as long as you have a system. It's pretty much common sense. Planet fitness for the most part is open 24/7 with the exception of a few locations closing at 9pm on Friday to Sunday. Planet fitness is my go to for showers. I use laundromats to wash my clothing. I've mostly done restaurant gigs to make fast cash. It can pay well depending on the price point of the restaurant and the clientele that the restaurant appeals to. Wine bars, and trendy tequila taco bars are great money. Fine dining is too much uniform and the dining process is long and drawn out.

The other method that you can make money is by signing up to do DoorDash, GrubHub, and Roadie. These apps give you the freedom of working whenever you want. If I don't feel like it the next day, I just take off and chill in my rig watch YouTube on my tablet or something on Hulu. When it gets hot I often look for a park nearby to explore while burning some calories. When I get my new Rig I'm going back to Maryland where I'm originally from. There's just too much going on in Chicago with crime and angry residents over swarms of migrants.

If you have to pee in the middle of the night, do you just step outside or do you have something inside?
I keep an old OJ jug in my rig if I need to go late at night. The trick is to not drink a lot before bed. For women it's a bit different, but there are ways pee based on YouTube videos of female Van Lifers.

Nissan Xterra. They have lots of room behind the front seats, including the interior being much higher than a CUV. They are ultra reliable - so long as you get one without SMOD and replace the radiator. There pretty cheap, and the 2wd's are super cheap.

I have lots of miles on mine. I have never lived in it, but when I was using it for work it often felt like I did :ROFLMAO:
Nissan is a nay for me. Too many problems with many of their models. The JATCO automatics are junk. The VG and VQ have carbon buildup issues. I read further about the SMOD issue. It's a severe defect in the design of the radiator that ultimately ruins your trans. Nissan has never put out a reliable competitor to the civic and corolla. The Sentra has always been problematic with very few old models being seen.

My budget will probably be 4k which seems to be the average price of a used Sienna 2nd gen or Sequoia 1st/2nd gen with 150k-200k miles. I'm looking at the cheapest reliable option to get out of Chicago asap. Too much crime.

4k won't get you much. I found a few Transit Connects in your price range
2011 Transit Connect
2013 Transit Connect

You might be able to get a decent Mazda5 or Kia Rondo. There's also the HHR Panel. If you need something bigger, maybe an older Sedona or Entourage. The cheapest 4-cylinder Sienna I could find in your area is 6k which is too much.

Back