Need Help Choosing a Vehicle.

4k won't get you much. I found a few Transit Connects in your price range
2011 Transit Connect
2013 Transit Connect

You might be able to get a decent Mazda5 or Kia Rondo. There's also the HHR Panel. If you need something bigger, maybe an older Sedona or Entourage. The cheapest 4-cylinder Sienna I could find in your area is 6k which is too much.
Why wouldn't 4k get me much? As previously stated I'm looking at a second generation Sienna, which is from 2003-2010 or a second gen Sequoia. 2011+ is out of my range unless deflation further affects the used auto market due to repos. The primary focus is space and reliability. There's plenty of second gen Sienna on market place along with third gen Odyssey. Insurance is also another factor. With something that's older I'd opt for only liability insurance to cut costs from previous vehicles that required full coverage.

Well, I have this 79 Chevy which has the solid 350 V8 and bulletproof transmission. Has refrigerator, stove, sink, running water, toilet, furnace, etc. Maybe in my 20's I could sleep in a folded down seat but wouldn't want to do that now, at least not long term. Plus what do you do if nature calls? If you just want a platform to sleep on, any 20 year old windowless cargo van would work and be in your $4000 budget.

View attachment 180549
How much are you asking for that van?

Why wouldn't 4k get me much? As previously stated I'm looking at a second generation Sienna, which is from 2003-2010 or a second gen Sequoia. 2011+ is out of my range unless deflation further affects the used auto market due to repos. The primary focus is space and reliability. There's plenty of second gen Sienna on market place along with third gen Odyssey. Insurance is also another factor. With something that's older I'd opt for only liability insurance to cut costs from previous vehicles that required full coverage.

Siennas are VERY hard to work on! The transverse V6 is crammed in there and tilted backwards. Early ones have a timing belt, and the MZ is one of Toyota's worst engines and almost impossible to service. The 2GR that came later is better but still difficult, but at least it has a timing chain.

Therefore, you should look for something with 4 cylinders like the Transit Connect. As seen in my previous reply, there are a couple in your price range.

How about a '92 Previa from CA for $4k. A guy on here was looking to sell. Interior is an A condition while exterior is a B.
IMG_3487.jpeg.jpg

Maybe read up on the most reliable version of the Chrysler minivans, and then try to find a one owner one that has been maintained by a retired guy? For full time living the stow and go holes in the floor maybe quite useful? Battery storage? And every small town mechanic has seen lots of them over the years as well.

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a difficult time picking a vehicle for nomadic Van Life. I've done this lifestyle for 2 years in my Mazda CX-5 turbo, but unfortunately the vehicle was totaled. I moved to Chicago for the accessibility purposes that mass transit provides. I'm having a difficult time adjusting to this new city. I have given it 7 months! I had an entire system laid out when I was in my CX-5. Planet fitness is my go to for showers. I used laundromat to wash my clothing. Winters were the best for the ability to keep food in my vehicle that is temperature sensitive. Warmth was simple with using hot hands warmers in a sleeping bag on nights that were 20s and below. Summer was the hardest due to early sunrise and persistent heat even at night. I truly miss the solitude of Van Life, and the ability to explore new towns and nature.

I'm looking at a first/second gen Toyota Sequoia for the amount of room and the reliability of the cast iron 4.7. The only downside it seems is the overall mpg and timing belt changes.

The Toyota Sienna is the next vehicle that I'm also looking into. The Sienna would be the second Gen 3.5 2GR motor which has a timing chain. The only downside that I've come across is oil leaks, but that is to be expected on an older vehicle with 100k+ miles. The second gen Sienna initially had a 3.3L V6 which was changed to the 3.5. I'm more in favor of the 3.5 since it has a wide range of uses such as the Camry and Avalon and Lexus ES.

Honda Odyssey or Pilot a last choice, because of weak and problematic automatic transmissions. The variable cylinder management has also caused problems with mounts and wear patterns in the motor. There's faint possibility of picking a GMC Safari or Astro, or 1500.

I'm looking at overall reliability. I don't want a huge expense down the road. I'm open to suggestions about other vehicles. I'm focused more on Toyota because of previous experience. I've also owned a few Hondas but with manual trans.

This time around in going to do a full build by pulling the second and third row seats out. I'd put in a simple plywood platform with scrap 2×4 for legs.
Ford transit full size

Honda Fit. It's tiny but there are people who camp or live in them, some of whom have channels on Youtube so you can see how they outfitted them.

How about a '92 Previa from CA for $4k. A guy on here was looking to sell. Interior is an A condition while exterior is a B.View attachment 180714
Friend had one, not easy to work on a mid engine like that.

Not sure about Chicago but 4K here won't get you anything reliable you can sleep in. You can try getting a station wagon but that's not easy to find these days. For that budget I wonder how much you care about fuel economy vs reliability. Maybe if you are lucky you can find a 4 cyl Sienna? Some were around and they should be more reliable than the V6.

Good luck.

Friend had one, not easy to work on a mid engine like that.

Not sure about Chicago but 4K here won't get you anything reliable you can sleep in. You can try getting a station wagon but that's not easy to find these days. For that budget I wonder how much you care about fuel economy vs reliability. Maybe if you are lucky you can find a 4 cyl Sienna? Some were around and they should be more reliable than the V6.

A guy on here is selling a wagon from Atlanta for $3500.
00v0v_gjNzJmdcsBj_0s00l0_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

I think as long as the transmission is reliable it should work (although it is a Sable so it is hard to tell if it is a reliable transmission or not). For a few hundred more I would pick a Camry wagon if possible.

If budget allows, Prius V is going to be a great hybrid to camp in, but it is going to cost way more than 4k (probably 12-15k).

@VanLifer39 at $4k you won't get a good Toyota. Trust me, I tried. It will be a very tired Toyota, and in need of suspension items, and likely an alternator. See how lovely it is to replace an alternator on a 3.5L Sienna, or any V6 minivan really... A nightmare. Same goes for motor mounts, which are probably due soon too.

My suggestion: find a 4 cylinder minivan. I know you replied earlier about a Mazda5, but that would be my #1 pick, maybe even with a manual transmission. Toyota Sienna had the 2.7L 4-cylider for a couple years. Research those. And the oldest example would be my current daily driver: a 1st Gen Honda Odyssey, with immortal F22 engine.
PXL_20230924_125023864.jpg
400k miles seems to be the norm for these engines. With proper maintenance could be more. Being a 4 cylinder the service will be a breeze. And being a minivan - you got all the space.
There is also a Dodge Caravan that was made with a 4-cylinder for some time, but I'd stay away from that one. Some Nissan NV200 may hit the $4k target, but CVT is a concern. Ford Transit 4-cyl at $4k would be a 1st Gen, which isn't long enough to sleep in.

Last edited:
How much are you asking for that van?
I'm not sure lmao. When nature calls it's all about common sense.... don't drink a lot before bed. I have always kept an old oj jug to use in the event I need to go. If I have to do #2 I just get out if it's late at night and go into the woods with baby wipes. The trick is to do it in an area that isn't high foot traffic. The other option it to buy an actual portable bucket that is sold as a portable toilet. Line it with a plastic bag and change it out asap. I've always just driven to the mall and use a department store restroom because they are less frequently used than in the food court or other areas of the mall. There's also my storage unit which has a restroom on the first floor of the facility that is rarely used after 8pm.

Siennas are VERY hard to work on! The transverse V6 is crammed in there and tilted backwards. Early ones have a timing belt, and the MZ is one of Toyota's worst engines and almost impossible to service. The 2GR that came later is better but still difficult, but at least it has a timing chain.

Therefore, you should look for something with 4 cylinders like the Transit Connect. As seen in my previous reply, there are a couple in your price range.
Would you say the Odyssey is easier to work on then? The Honda J series seems pretty str8 forward but the downside is having a timing belt.

@VanLifer39 at $4k you won't get a good Toyota. Trust me, I tried. It will be a very tired Toyota, and in need of suspension items, and likely an alternator. See how lovely it is to replace an alternator on a 3.5L Sienna, or any V6 minivan really... A nightmare. Same goes for motor mounts, which are probably due soon too.

My suggestion: find a 4 cylinder minivan. I know you replied earlier about a Mazda5, but that would be my #1 pick, maybe even with a manual transmission. Toyota Sienna had the 2.7L 4-cylider for a couple years. Research those. And the oldest example would be my current daily driver: a 1st Gen Honda Odyssey, with immortal F22 engine.
View attachment 180771400k miles seems to be the norm for these engines. With proper maintenance could be more. Being a 4 cylinder the service will be a breeze. And being a minivan - you got all the space.
There is also a Dodge Caravan that was made with a 4-cylinder for some time, but I'd stay away from that one. Some Nissan NV200 may hit the $4k target, but CVT is a concern. Ford Transit 4-cyl at $4k would be a 1st Gen, which isn't long enough to sleep in.
Is the F22 is your van related to the F22 in the S2000? What about a second gen Odyssey? I still see plenty of the second gen around, but I've read negatives about the automatic in the second Gen.

Would you say the Odyssey is easier to work on then? The Honda J series seems pretty str8 forward but the downside is having a timing belt.

The Odyssey is SOHC, so it probably is easier to work on. Some people on here have even been able to access the spark plugs just by reaching over engine and didn't have to pull the intake. Honda recently switched to DOHC, but not in the year ranges you're looking at.

However, besides the timing belt, they are known for awful transmissions. If you get one with VCM, you will need a muzzler to stop oil burning and to protect those $600 motor mounts.

Maybe you might like this Uplander. GM isn't the greatest, but this one is clean and low mileage.

Is the F22 is your van related to the F22 in the S2000? What about a second gen Odyssey? I still see plenty of the second gen around, but I've read negatives about the automatic in the second Gen.

No, the F22 from the 90s Accord/Odyssey is not related to the S2000. The S2000's F20C/F22C is basically a very early version of the K-series.

Last edited:
Yup, @slacktide_bitog nailed it. Not the same F22. But where this one lacks in power, it makes up for in long-term reliability.

Second gen Odyssey isn't a good option, in my opinion.

If by any chance you're able to expand the budget a little bit - then 2009-2015 Honda Pilot is a nice option. The VCM muzzle takes care of the "ECO" mode never coming on. And transmission is a completely different design, which makes it as durable as the engine. Plenty of these (and Ridgelines) locally with 350k-500k on original engine/tranny. But then you still run into the issue of harder serviceability of a V6 compared to a I4. This is where both 2.3L & 2.5L Mazda5 win. And fuel efficiency shouldn't be overlooked either, it adds up quick.
2.5L Mazda5 with a 6-speed manual is what's on my radar, if I was to replace the Odyssey. So I guess I may be a little biased here, but not unreasonable, I think...

Even the later "good" transmission in the second gen isn't particularly great. My buddy's trans just died, and he elected to not to repair and go for a 3 row Sorento. He had a 1st gen Odyssey before that which was great except for rust. Finding a nice one would take a bit of time I think but could be worth it to keep over the long term. I still think condition, maintenance records, and 1 owner tends to beat reputation when you get into the low priced market, but I also like the 4 cyl's for simplicity and ease of maintenance.
There's probably a few vehicles you still shouldn't get due to known issues even if they are immaculate, but beyond those have a look around.

Back