I almost CAN'T go away from a TOYOTA selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't decided.....I'm on my 7th Toyota....jury is still out.

13.gif

I must admit though it is nice only going to a dealer every 2-3 years for something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
BMW and Mercedes reliable???!!!!!!!! As a Honda???!!!!! BMW and Mercedes reliability numbers are actually pretty bad, their resale value is ABYSMAL, and WHEN the break they are VERY expensive to fix.

If one wants an expensive German car, go ahead and buy one, it's your money.

You really have to research the model year that you're buying on German cars. Certain models can be pretty reliable and if you don't have the expensive options that are known to break, then they might not be that expensive to own. Or you don't fix it when it breaks. Do you really need a rear sunshade to work or if your keyless go door handle stops working? One of the great things about a used German car is the massive depreciation. You can drive a 60-70k car for $20-$30k when they're 4-6 years old. It's not the same for Toyota or Honda.

There's also some good lease deals out there. How about a 61k E-class for $365 a month?

http://leasehackr.com/blog/lease-an-e-class-365-month-fleet-discount

My parents have always bought Toyota products with a little Mercedes tossed in. We tried Nissan, but the Ford-built Quest we had was a lemon, but it kept running well until we donated it. Honestly, Camrys and Corollas don't cut it for me. But they are the leasy worrisome of cars to own. I just have no faith in new Toyotas - part of it is Akio Toyota focusing on Lexus to the detriment of their mainstream brand, and part of it is how Uber drivers buy Toyotas en masse - and for people who give a care about resale value, when Uber's CEO gets his wish of self-driving cars or when their drivers upgrade, well there's gonna be a glut of Toyotas on the used car market.

My neighbors were hardcore Honda people, but they've migrated to Subaru. I'll be breaking away from family tradition with an Impreza unless I find a Lexus SUV in decent shape when it comes time to retire the LS400.

My Dad owned Toyotas from 1973. For that reason, combined with their general attraction to owners who are not passionate about automobiles with some exceptions, I have managed to avoid the brand.

Stupid and irrational, however there are many other good choices now that Toyota/Honda forced the rest to improve or die.

I also agree that a boring car makes me a safer driver, but I'm not going there just yet :eek:)

I have only owned one Toyota (Corolla) and I prayed the thing would break down so I could drive something else. Unfortunately it never did so I was overjoyed when I finally got rid of it and got another used Audi (2007 A4 Avant Quattro). $47,000 new, I paid $21,000 with 32,000 miles. 40,000 miles later it has had perfect reliability and it is so much more enjoyable to drive. Life is too short to drive a Corolla if you really care about driving.

The ford fusion and later chev Malibu might be worth looking into. I work in fleet maint and our 2010 fusions have started to tick over the 180k mark so they are looking to replace.

1 tune up, several sets of brakes/tires, and trans/oil changes. Not too bad

They will sell them to me for $5500 if I wanted them

A Subaru legacy from 04 to '10 might be worth looking at as well

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I almost CAN'T go away from a TOYOTA selection

Okay, then if Toyota gives you that warm fuzzy feeling, and you can afford one, by all means purchase it. Simple solution, isn't it?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
BMW and Mercedes reliable???!!!!!!!! As a Honda???!!!!! BMW and Mercedes reliability numbers are actually pretty bad, their resale value is ABYSMAL, and WHEN the break they are VERY expensive to fix.

If one wants an expensive German car, go ahead and buy one, it's your money.

You really have to research the model year that you're buying on German cars. Certain models can be pretty reliable and if you don't have the expensive options that are known to break, then they might not be that expensive to own. Or you don't fix it when it breaks. Do you really need a rear sunshade to work or if your keyless go door handle stops working? One of the great things about a used German car is the massive depreciation. You can drive a 60-70k car for $20-$30k when they're 4-6 years old. It's not the same for Toyota or Honda.

There's also some good lease deals out there. How about a 61k E-class for $365 a month?

http://leasehackr.com/blog/lease-an-e-class-365-month-fleet-discount

Isn't rapid depreciation an indication of quality?

One would think that there is a reason why the value drops quickly.

2013-2015 Honda Civic 5 speed manual transmission. No direct injection. Excellent safety ratings, reliability history, and minimal maintenance. New generation is out and 2015's can be had hew at great prices. However if you don't want a stick, you're stuck with CVT.

when looking at a near luxury car years ago we drove a mercedes and I then went and asked some mercedes garages about their repair history.
I said the water pumps last longer right. well maybe they said, and they said on the v8s they are expensive to buy the part and also to pay the labor to change. They then said we have toyota shop trucks. I asked a few more questions and they kept saying a lot of us have Toyotas so I think they were telling me something

Last edited:
Toyota is where GM was in the late 90's resting on their laurels. Back in the 90's they built one heck of a car, my 1993 Camry was way, way better than anything GM made at that price point back in 1993.

Now in 2015 the new Camry is a cheap hollow car compared to the domestic offerings; designed with the attitude screw you were Toyota your going to buy it anyway.

Oh and they break just as much as anything else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

One would think that there is a reason why the value drops quickly.

More market conditions, demand, etc.

Lamborghini loses like half its value in two years, usually gets sold when it's time for first major service or CEL comes on. Bentley GT or a Bentley with the W12 can be had super cheap now.. about $55,000 or so. And yet they sit.

Could be quality too, sure, just look at Cadillac Northstar

I'm a Toyota Fanboy too. I wouldn't rather drive anything else. I just drove my aunt's 2013 VW Beetle TDI 220 miles a few days ago, and when getting back in the seat of my old Toyota, I realized how much I like it. Sure the VW has wayyy more power, better mpg, better handling, but I really like my Camry. It's stupidly reliable and I see no reason to drive something else. Life is too short to be spending ridiculous amounts of money and time repairing German pieces of junk.

If I was buying a new car and planned to keep it for 10 years or more, it'd more than likely be a Toyota, with Mazda a very close second.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Toyota is where GM was in the late 90's resting on their laurels. Back in the 90's they built one heck of a car, my 1993 Camry was way, way better than anything GM made at that price point back in 1993.

Now in 2015 the new Camry is a cheap hollow car compared to the domestic offerings; designed with the attitude screw you were Toyota your going to buy it anyway.

Finally someone else who agrees with me about Toyota. I have never liked anything I have sat in from Toyota in the last few years. Back in the 90s yes. Now, garbage interiors and brutal driving dynamics = no dice.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Finally someone else who agrees with me about Toyota. I have never liked anything I have sat in from Toyota in the last few years. Back in the 90s yes. Now, garbage interiors and brutal driving dynamics = no dice.

Don't know either about Toyota being so much better than GM. I have a lowlife Cavalier I bought new, taught my son to drive on it (5 speed manual), and the only thing to go wrong with it other than maintenance was a fuel tank vent valve (20 bucks for the Delco part on ebay). Can't do much better than that. Just my opinion but I prefer to support American union workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back