Hyundai 2.4L MPI

I'm looking at buying a vehicle that has the above mentioned engine. It was replaced 80k miles ago under a recall, will it suffer the same fate? Or were the replacement engines an updated version when installed in 2021? I don't want to buy a ticking time bomb, the Canadian extended warranty has lapsed.

I am not sure about Canada, but here the affected engines are warranted for lifetime. As long as it is not using oil, I wouldn't worry about it. What year vehicle are you looking at?

Well, I just got back from two Hyundai dealerships and spoke directly with two techs. The one tech, who I happen to know personally, said buy it. The other whom I don't know said to stay away. What I also learned is that the engine in question is the GDI not the MPI, which changes things, so I'm no further ahead.

The original engine was replaced by Hyundai in 2021, the replacement currently has 80k miles.
Walk away.
Move up to a 2019 Rav-4 or CR-V. Both have non-turbo engine options to choose from. The engine you are questioning will eventually fail prematurely also. The connecting rod bearings are the biggest culprit with these Theta 2s.

Last edited:
Is there any help for these Theta IIs? Brother’s once & again GF has a Tucson with one, on its 2nd engine-could a superior 5W30 changed at short OCIs help it at all? Like a high HTHS C3 oil or similar?

Is there any help for these Theta IIs? Brother’s once & again GF has a Tucson with one, on its 2nd engine-could a superior 5W30 changed at short OCIs help it at all? Like a high HTHS C3 oil or similar?
It seems to be working for me, 154k km (96k mi) on original engine with 4k mi OCIs. I ran a few diff oils before settling on one in my sig.

The original engine was replaced by Hyundai in 2021, the replacement currently has 80k miles.

Well there you have your answer, run from this pig. I'd look for a 2.0T Malibu in Premier trim if I was shopping used midsize sedans.

I couldn't resist. I'm not sure if I will keep it to replace my Legacy or sell it.
image2.jpeg

The engines are much the same as before. There are a number of improvements, including better rod bearings. There are still failures of the replacement engines. Unfortunately, Hyundai is not known for using quality materials and the owners often pay a price for this.

Put another way, the guys who drive a lot, do regular oil changes and perform proper maintenance still have the second engine fail at about the same miles as the first one, which is typically about 100K miles.

Hyundai is not known for using quality materials and the owners often pay a price for this.
You are 100% correct. However, they are more expensive than ever.

I couldn't resist. I'm not sure if I will keep it to replace my Legacy or sell it.
I'd pick something with a Toyota badge on it and call it a day, or a Honda with an NA engine. There is something about a Turbo commuter car that just doesn't sit right with me.... Oh, I remember, it's that Turbo.

On the bright side, when you jack up the rear axle on either side, you'll lift the front tire on that side as well. Makes tire rotation easy. 🤣
That's because of the low budget rear suspension and the short wheelbase.

I don't recall those ever having an MPI engine. Probably you meant GDI. Use a 0W-40 Euro oil in Canada and install a new PCV valve and a ADDW1 Santa Fe Sport oil catch can. After you install the oil catch can, run a couple of cans of CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner through the intake (follow the instructions on the can). It's nothing more than PEA. If you keep the soot out of the bearings in that engine, and the fuel dilution low, you'll have it for a long time. If you maintain it as any other vehicle, you won't get to enjoy it for that long.

Last edited:
I said: Hyundai is not known for using quality materials and the owners often pay a price for this.
You are 100% correct. However, they are more expensive than ever.
Engine warranty replacement costs are borne by current and future consumers. Quite simply, cost cutting has a cost all it's own.

The engines are much the same as before. There are still failures of the replacement engines.
Not according to one of the techs I spoke to, but that wouldn't surprise me.
Put another way, the guys who drive a lot, do regular oil changes and perform proper maintenance still have the second engine fail at about the same miles as the first one, which is typically about 100K miles.
So, I have 20k miles left on this engine based on that statistic.
On the bright side, when you jack up the rear axle on either side, you'll lift the front tire on that side as well.
It's a FWD which the tech said is good, due to coupler issues.
I don't recall those ever having an MPI engine. Probably you meant GDI. Use a 0W-40 Euro oil in Canada and install a new PCV valve and a ADDW1 Santa Fe Sport oil catch can. After you install the oil catch can, run a couple of cans of CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner through the intake (follow the instructions on the can). It's nothing more than PEA. If you keep the soot out of the bearings in that engine, and the fuel dilution low, you'll have it for a long time. If you maintain it as any other vehicle, you won't get to enjoy it for that long.
I corrected myself in post #5; it s a GDI. My vehicles are all short trippers and therefore, oil and filters are changed every 3k miles with the thickest I have on hand. My Subaru has 0w-20 right now because it's all I had with me at the time. My plan is to do the same with this vehicle (3k with thickest oil on hand), if I keep it.

Last edited:
The dealer tech also told me on two separate occasions, to use genuine Hyundai filters, so I bought one while I was there. An apprentice who had just recently replaced an engine with almost 285000k kilometers, all while Hyundai covered the expenses, joined in the conversation too. He added that the engines are replaced in consultation and at the discretion of the inspecting technician. I took that as if the engine does not show signs of neglect, Hyundai will cover the cost.
If you keep the soot out of the bearings in that engine, and the fuel dilution low, you'll have it for a long time. If you maintain it as any other vehicle, you won't get to enjoy it for that long.
I'm considering a synthetic CK-4 diesel oil which is better suited at handling soot than oil for gasoline engines; again, if I keep it.

Last edited:
Back