Hyundai 2.4l excessive oil consumption

#1----I guess I'm still not accepting the exorbitant price increase of used cars.

#2----Wow...12% sales tax is also exorbitant IMO.

#3----I agree that the 'sweet spot' for H/K vehicles was 2002 -2009. The CEO of Hyundai at the time they instituted the 10yr/ 100K warranty was a man named Finbarr O'Neill. I actually met him once at a party (he's related to a friend of mine who had the party) and talked about his turnaround of Hyundai....he was very engaging and humble IMO.

#1 - Agreed. I wonder if and when the prices will come down. I think it's a matter of market forces - demand apparently exceeds supply.

#2 - The 12% comprises a 5% federal goods and services tax (GST) and a 7% provincial sales tax (PST).

The GST was introduced in early 1991 to replace a 14% hidden tax that was levied on manufacturers. The shifting of the tax from the producers to the consumers was intended to help Canadian manufacturers be more competitive. I can't comment on how successful it's been.

#3 - Fascinating! Thank you!

I've visit several car forums daily. It's quite common for people to buy a new car, do 5k OCI with full synthetic, and get significant sludge across many different car brands. My view is that 5k OCI is too long. Engine health is not about engine wear and UOA's. It's about piston ring cleanliness.

It's the dirty / stuck piston rings which cause the excessive oil burning (1+ quarts every 1k miles), and causes the need for a $7k engine rebuild with a new short block.

I prefer 4k mile/6 month (whichever comes first) oil change intervals with a low priced full synthetic 5W-30. Also I stocked up on LiquiMoly engine flush (12 cans), so I have enough for 3 engine flushes during each of the next 3 upcoming oil changes for each of my 4 vehicles (12 total engine flushes). With the high price of new cars nowadays $50k to $80k, I'm planning on keeping my current vehicles another 12 years (until the genuine OEM parts availability dries up).
Oh no, you are all wrong Bill7. You are supposed to change these new oils at 20,000 miles now. You don't change it when it's dirty anymore LOL. Just keep pouring on the miles and never worry about it. All these stories like I've been doing this for 40 years and my engine is still brand new per some fake news lab.

That was total sarcasm. This forum is great for my morning comedy.

• Sad
Reactions: 4WD
My niece has a 2013 Optima (bought used at a dealer in Arizona while she lived there) with this problematic 2.4 which is apparently the original engine (according to it having a yellow dipstick). When I started maintaining it I used 5w30 oil and it seemed to use a fair amount. I switched over to 5w40 Mobil TDT and it slowed the oil burning considerably (probably uses 1/2 to 3/4 qt. in 4K now as opposed to that amount in 1K on the 5w30).

Two days ago my niece told me the car was making a fairly loud ticking sound which she recorded on her phone. I took it for a long drive (30 miles) yesterday and it wouldn't repeat the noise although it's obvious listening to her cellphone.
She says it seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine but who knows if that's true.

Is this the sound they make before they fail? Is it normal for it to come and go?
The car has 156K now and other than the intermittent noise it is running well. Thoughts?

PS: I used the Mobil1 TDT at first because I had it but stuck with it because of the good results. I also figured that a diesel rated oil might do better with the soot which the GDI makes. (it does turn black very quickly like a diesel). The TDT is also SN rated.

Last edited:
My niece has a 2013 Optima (bought used at a dealer in Arizona while she lived there) with this problematic 2.4 which is apparently the original engine (according to it having a yellow dipstick). When I started maintaining it I used 5w30 oil and it seemed to use a fair amount. I switched over to 5w40 Mobil TDT and it slowed the oil burning considerably (probably uses 1/2 to 3/4 qt. in 4K now as opposed to that amount in 1K on the 5w30).

Two days ago my niece told me the car was making a fairly loud ticking sound which she recorded on her phone. I took it for a long drive (30 miles) yesterday and it wouldn't repeat the noise although it's obvious listening to her cellphone.
She says it seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine but who knows if that's true.

Is this the sound they make before they fail? Is it normal for it to come and go?
The car has 156K now and other than the intermittent noise it is running well. Thoughts?

PS: I used the Mobil1 TDT at first because I had it but stuck with it because of the good results. I also figured that a diesel rated oil might do better with the soot which the GDI makes. (it does turn black very quickly like a diesel). The TDT is also SN rated.
If this thing still has a yellow dipstick in it then there's a better chance than not that it hasn't had the recalls completed that would make it eligible for the extended warranty on the engine; might want to check that out ASAP. As far as noise, the one we had go bad in our 11 Sonata didn't give us any warning at all, just quit going through a roundabout

Yes on the ticking sound!
My wife’s’15 Sonata with 2.4l engine with 159,560mi started doing that. It lasted another 40mi and went into limp mode.
I had it towed to my usual maintenance shop as I trust them MUCH more than I trust the Hyundai dealer.

It was $8,000 by the time everything was finished. Several items that Hyundai wouldn’t have replaced were replaced at much lower cost than Hyundai would have charged.
IE: water pump, Starter, exhaust gaskets, air filter, synthetic oil, transmission serviced (due at 160,000), spark plugs, in addition to OEM long block, not a rebuild.
I’ve got the engine and have complete maintenance records including the recall for lifetime engine warranty.
We’ll see what happens….
If the car wasn’t in immaculate condition, I wouldn’t have done it. It now looks and drives like a new car again.
It was using 1qt per 700mi when ticking started. It started using oil at the 130,000mi mark… first, a qt. at oil change (5,000mi). Then a qt low at 2,500. Then progressively worse. Periodically, I would use some engine cleaner and engine is sludge free. Some cokeing of the valves, but not bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbm
Yes on the ticking sound!
My wife’s’15 Sonata with 2.4l engine with 159,560mi started doing that. It lasted another 40mi and went into limp mode.
I had it towed to my usual maintenance shop as I trust them MUCH more than I trust the Hyundai dealer.

It was $8,000 by the time everything was finished. Several items that Hyundai wouldn’t have replaced were replaced at much lower cost than Hyundai would have charged.
IE: water pump, Starter, exhaust gaskets, air filter, synthetic oil, transmission serviced (due at 160,000), spark plugs, in addition to OEM long block, not a rebuild.
I’ve got the engine and have complete maintenance records including the recall for lifetime engine warranty.
We’ll see what happens….
If the car wasn’t in immaculate condition, I wouldn’t have done it. It now looks and drives like a new car again.
It was using 1qt per 700mi when ticking started. It started using oil at the 130,000mi mark… first, a qt. at oil change (5,000mi). Then a qt low at 2,500. Then progressively worse. Periodically, I would use some engine cleaner and engine is sludge free. Some cokeing of the valves, but not bad.
That makes zero sense. You paid $8K because you despise your Hyundai dealer that much?

That makes zero sense. You paid $8K because you despise your Hyundai dealer that much?
No.
But, they quoted 6-8 weeks before they would even look at the car. Another 6 weeks for corporate to make a decision on whether to honor the warranty. If, then they do, another 2weeks to swap engines.
And, likely only to cover $1,700 to $2000. Would still cost $8000… and most probably a rebuilt engine.

Instead, I got my car back in 5 days with a NEW engine. 60,000mi warranty.

No.
But, they quoted 6-8 weeks before they would even look at the car. Another 6 weeks for corporate to make a decision on whether to honor the warranty. If, then they do, another 2weeks to swap engines.
And, likely only to cover $1,700 to $2000. Would still cost $8000… and most probably a rebuilt engine.

I don't know why you wouldn't first exhaust your options at the dealer, but it's your money.

No.

That’s all bologna.

Two of my coworkers recently got their Sonatas engines replaced, one engine threw a rod, the other was burning 1L of oil every 1000km.
One Sonata is 2018, both have 2.4L engines. Both are US built. Canadian warranty on the cars is 5 years/100K km as opposed to US 10 years. 2018 Sonata was still under 5 years but over 100K km at the time, oil changes were done by dealer.

Hyundai replaced my wife's engine in her 2011 Sonata at 215k miles in about 2 weeks from drop off to pick up. Her engine didn't make any sounds, it just locked up one day slowly accelerating. When I pulled the dipstick there was metal all over it.

Before it died I had replaced the valve cover gasket because it was leaking/burning about 1qt of oil every 700 miles. You could see smoke coming from the exhaust manifold.

They replaced with a long block.

Personally I don't think changing the oil sooner will really help these engines. It's a severe design flaw somewhere that Hyundai missed. What's hilarious is that these engines are based on a shared common design through an alliance called the "Global Engine Alliance." The original design was shared between Hyundai, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi. And only Hyundai has had these issues. They initially claimed it was due to debris left in the oil galleries at the Alabama manufacturing plant, but obviously at this point it's a design defect.

@Nick1994 Do you know if the lifetime engine warranty is transferable? I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 Santa Fe with the 2.4L (220k Km) which has had both the software update and it's engine replaced two years ago. The price is right however, if the warranty is capped at say 10years/200k Kms, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

@Nick1994 Do you know if the lifetime engine warranty is transferable? I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 Santa Fe with the 2.4L (220k Km) which has had both the software update and it's engine replaced two years ago. The price is right however, if the warranty is capped at say 10years/200k Kms, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.
As far as I know it is.

But I'm not sure how it works in Canada. Best to call the dealer, or a couple, and ask. Or even Hyundai customer/warranty support line.

Hyundai replaced my wife's engine in her 2011 Sonata at 215k miles in about 2 weeks from drop off to pick up. Her engine didn't make any sounds, it just locked up one day slowly accelerating. When I pulled the dipstick there was metal all over it.

Before it died I had replaced the valve cover gasket because it was leaking/burning about 1qt of oil every 700 miles. You could see smoke coming from the exhaust manifold.

They replaced with a long block.

Personally I don't think changing the oil sooner will really help these engines. It's a severe design flaw somewhere that Hyundai missed. What's hilarious is that these engines are based on a shared common design through an alliance called the "Global Engine Alliance." The original design was shared between Hyundai, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi. And only Hyundai has had these issues. They initially claimed it was due to debris left in the oil galleries at the Alabama manufacturing plant, but obviously at this point it's a design defect.
Hyundai/Kia uses sub standard metallurgy. Soft pistons and soft bearings of low quality, all from the world largest metals company. That’s why the same Global Engine Alliance manufacturers don’t have this issue, they use a more robust metallurgy choice.

Last edited:
Hyundai/Kia uses sub standard metallurgy. Soft pistons and soft bearings of low quality, all from the world largest metals company. That’s why the same Global Engine Alliance manufacturers don’t have this issue, they use a more robust metallurgy choice.
Yeah I figured something along those lines. My MIL has a Dodge Avenger with a version of that engine in it, and those engines aren't known for blowing up. Figured it was something Hyundai was doing.

Back