Hyundai 2.4l excessive oil consumption

I have a 2015 sonata 2.4l 125000 miles and has been burning 1qt oil every 800 miles. Have completed the required oil consumption testing and completed all tsb/ recalls. Hyundai dealership has come back and said they will cover 70% to replace with a reman engine. ( cost $2158 ) this would come with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty..I thought that the engine is supposed to have a lifetime warranty due to litigation and that replacement would be free. Also, is that supposed to be a reman engine or a new engine? Does anyone know?

I think the warranty extension is only for complete failure - not for nuisance issues such as oil consumption.

I agree that covering 70% of the cost on an 8 year old car with 125K isn't too bad. I doubt you'd get that from GM, Ford or Stellantis.
I also feel that Hyundai's engine issues (the 2.4 in particular) are hurting them and I don't see why they can't fix it for once and for all.

Is the $2158 the cost for the engine and installation? If so then 30% (your cost) would be about $650 out of your pocket which isn't bad if you can get another 100 to 150K out of the car.

I'm 90% sure that the engine needs a new head, and everything that goes with it during that process (timing chain, guides, etc.). Usually some of the valve stem seals or the valves themselves go bad on these.

Alternatively, if you did the TSB that updates the knock sensor software to detect a rod knock, you can tell the dealer this:
"Dear Mr. Service Manager, I might as well drive the car normally, until the engine either develops a rod knock, or completely seizes up. Then you will cover it under the so-called lifetime warranty. I am correct, Sir?"

Hyundai will do anything to get out of having to honor a warranty or pay. Unfortunately for them, oil consumption issues tie into that "lifetime warranty" they offer. I owned three of those misserable engines, and always ran 0W-40 or 5W-40 Euro oils in them, and always did 4K~5K mile OCIs. Still, that's no guarantee that they will make it to any kind of Toyota-like high mileage. They are truly cheaply put together miserable motors.

I agree that covering 70% of the cost on an 8 year old car with 125K isn't too bad. I doubt you'd get that from GM, Ford or Stellantis.
I also feel that Hyundai's engine issues (the 2.4 in particular) are hurting them and I don't see why they can't fix it for once and for all.

Is the $2158 the cost for the engine and installation? If so then 30% (your cost) would be about $650 out of your pocket which isn't bad if you can get another 100 to 150K out of the car.
No, $2158 is his share of the bill.

$2158 total for an engine installed by a dealer seems absurdly cheap.

I'm sure the $2158 is his share. Still, a good deal I'd say -- except the 12/12 warranty is a bummer.

@m_blend

Here is the part number for the complete engine (long block): 21101-2GK19.

The price ranges from $3200 ~ $3600, plus sales tax and shipping, depending where you get it from. This is not some remanufactured part where you need to do a core exchange. If it was me, I would either swap it out myself, or get an decent independent shop to do it for me. Then have Hyundai foot the bill for your trouble, plus time wasted. At least you'll get a new engine, not something that was remanufactured by some questionable company. There is a big difference between getting an OEM engine with factory warranty, and getting one that was remanufactured by a third party with aftermarket parts.

These two links are examples of places that will sell you one of these brand new engines:

Hyundai Parts Deal: https://nudl.es/jUUnw

OEM Hyundai Parts Online: https://nudl.es/RlVHw

That dealership you went to... is really... something.

@m_blend

Here is the part number for the complete engine (long block): 21101-2GK19.

The price ranges from $3200 ~ $3600, plus sales tax and shipping, depending where you get it from. This is not some remanufactured part where you need to do a core exchange. If it was me, I would either swap it out myself, or get an decent independent shop to do it for me. Then have Hyundai foot the bill for your trouble, plus time wasted. At least you'll get a new engine, not something that was remanufactured by some questionable company. There is a big difference between getting an OEM engine with factory warranty, and getting one that was remanufactured by a third party with aftermarket parts.

These two links are examples of places that will sell you one of these brand new engines:

Hyundai Parts Deal: https://nudl.es/jUUnw

OEM Hyundai Parts Online: https://nudl.es/RlVHw

That dealership you went to... is really... something.
That seems very cheap for a factory-new long block in this day and age!

However, there was a linked video here recently in which a fellow tore down a Hyundai or Kia 4-banger, and the engine did seem to be built cheaply - as I recall, skinny timing chain, 2-bolt mains, etc., so perhaps they can can sell a new engine that cheaply.

Run it until it blows and let them replace it for free. Or dump it now and get a new car.

I have a 2015 sonata 2.4l 125000 miles and has been burning 1qt oil every 800 miles. Have completed the required oil consumption testing and completed all tsb/ recalls. Hyundai dealership has come back and said they will cover 70% to replace with a reman engine. ( cost $2158 ) this would come with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty..I thought that the engine is supposed to have a lifetime warranty due to litigation and that replacement would be free. Also, is that supposed to be a reman engine or a new engine? Does anyone know?
Lifetime Warranty on an Engine! So if the Engine goes at 500K or 600K you would get a new Engine?

Watch these hundais be around in 10-20 years on their 11th engine
If they keep replacing engines and you don't live in the rust belt then these Hyundais will remain crappy $700 cars forever

^^^it's the AutoZone lifetime parts but for an engine! Bring us back the crap we sold you, we'll happily hand you new crap as a replacement!

Also -- at the risk of stating the obvious -- on average each engine lasted well under 100k which is horrendous by today's standards. Thru nine engines on most anything else I'd expect to see at least 2 million miles.

^^^it's the AutoZone lifetime parts but for an engine! Bring us back the crap we sold you, we'll happily hand you new crap as a replacement!

Also -- at the risk of stating the obvious -- on average each engine lasted well under 100k which is horrendous by today's standards. Thru nine engines on most anything else I'd expect to see at least 2 million miles.
Especially with all the short oil changes. Also, with so many miles accumulated in such a short time, I suspect a lot of them were racked up on the highway.

Back