Sonata 2.4L P1326 limp mode/flashing check engine light/1800 rpm limit

Well.. Very concerned now.. The 13 Sonata 2.4L GDI threw a check engine light out of the blue, (after 5 plus hours detailing it!) Miles are about 85K. Oil consumption did not spike, no abnormal sounds, but the p1326 code is permanent even after erasing the code it will come back within 15 seconds every time when it's warm.
The following day after the check engine light came on when it was cold, I took it for a run and the light stayed off for a few miles BUT the warmer the engine got it appeared the more frequently the light would come on and go into limp mode. So the sequence went something like this: I got a few miles before the light came on after I initially started the vehicle, I would erase the code, and then I would be able to drive for about 2 miles than the light would come on, erase the code and I'll be able to drive 1 mile, erase the code a half a mile ect until I was down to the light coming on near immediately or basically one pull.. The car is not usable when the limp mode is activated.. Just to make it the 20 mile trip back home I had to use the manual mode and keep the rpms under 1790 and keep upshifting to the highest gear possible for the whole trip.

The car was towed to the Hyundai dealer, BUT after talking to the service advisor on tues they had "9 or so towed in over the weekend with the same issue" and when asked about how common the p1326 code is, I did not even finish asking and he said "oh yeah, common"

I will keep this thread updated with the results and what transpires with this...

last note, Hyundai will cover a rental, and the diagnostics and work once it is approved, but as of now had to pay out of pocket to rent another car as the dealership had no rentals, and Hyundai will reimburse for the out of pocket rental later down the road.

IMG_3707.jpeg
IMG_3706.jpeg
IMG_3711.jpeg
IMG_3712.jpeg

IMG_3713.jpeg
IMG_3714.jpeg

I had that generation Sonata 2.4. We put 188k on it before trading it in. Sorry to hear of your concern. This could very well mean engine replacement for that Theta II...

"Error code P1326 occurs due to vibrations indicating excessive connecting rod bearing wear. You can easily detect them using the KSDS (Knock Sensor Detection System). Since severe engine damage and failure are possible, this device notifies the driver about a preceding phase of bearing wear."

Since you don't say you hear anything bad, and the light continually comes on in a matter of seconds, and you have no oil consumption, may be just a bad knock sensor.

Since you don't say you hear anything bad, and the light continually comes on in a matter of seconds, and you have no oil consumption, may be just a bad knock sensor.
I am really hoping that’s also the case as it seems very coincidental that I cleaned the car, undercarriage but not the engine, and the very next trip that light comes on.

RIP, hopefully you'll get it back this year. Hopefully you have all of your oil change records ready for review, I heard they have gotten extremely particular.

Not on these.

It's a shame it had this issue just after the 10 year part of the warranty.
If it recieved the KSDS (Knock Sensor Detection System). The OP posted this back in 2021...

If it recieved the KSDS (Knock Sensor Detection System). The OP posted this back in 2021...

Oh that's great to hear. Hopefully OP is taken care of. I'd be upset if i had to pay for this.

I know of 5 people in my circle that have had Hyundai engine failures. Four were the 2.4, the other was the 1.6 turbo.

@1 SX glad to hear and thanks for the followup. I echo others who say its only a matter of time, would reccomend finding new transportation. Also had a friend who's 2011 Sonata's engine blew to chunks. Good luck.

Time for a new long block.
I had a 2013 Sonata, loved that car. Awesome on fuel, drove great.
Got totalled out by another driver at about 70,000 miles.
Yep. The car wizard had a case Similar to this. When he called a local Hyundai dealership they had 30 long blocks on hand meaning this is indeed a common problem

IMG_3730.jpeg

Picked up the sonata yesterday. Took it for a hard run - no light returned.. Engine pulls like a small train, and sounds imho pretty good (no knocks ect) for a 2.4L. GDI
The dealership did a stand up job with the work, and had the car fixed in a few short days. Also there is no new scratches on the paint, or loose parts under the engine compartment.. (y)

Back