How to drain/flush a 95 volvo 850?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to drain out the cooling system on my 95 Volvo 850 and then flush it with some water to get the remaining of the oil coolant out, I don't know how to do any of this, please let me know how.

I think this was posted here before. this is from a '94 850 manual but the cooling systen is the same at least through '94-'96 I think. The condensend version is open the radiator and block drain according to Volvo. They also say to unhook the lower radiator hose but I'm not sure if that is because it has a low loops that traps coolant or what.

Volvo owner manual

Quote:
Changing coolant

Normally, the coolant does not need to be changed. If the system must be drained, use the following procedure:
1 Remove the expansion tank cap.
2 Move the temperature adjustment control to max. heat. Open the drain cocks at the rear left of the engine block and at the bottom right corner of the radiator.
3 Disconnect the lower right radiator hose.

Filling:
4 Close the drain cocks and reconnect the hose.
5 Fill the expansion tank to the MAX mark or slightly above.
6 Run the engine until hot. Check the cooling system connections for tightness. Recheck the coolant level.

Capacity: Approx. 7.6 US qts. (7.2 liters)
Turbo - 7.4 US qts. (7.0 liters)

Coolant: Volvo Genuine Coolant/Antifreeze only

NOTE: Do not top up with water only. Water by itself reduces the rust-protective and anti-freeze qualities of the coolant and has a lower boiling point. It can also cause damage to the cooling system if it should freeze.

WARNING: If the engine is warm and you are going to top up coolant, unscrew the cap slowly in order to allow any excess pressure to escape.

CAUTION: The cooling system must always be kept filled to correct level. If it is not kept filled, there can be high local temperatures in the engine which could result in damage. Different types of anti-freeze/coolant may not be mixed.

This covers draining the coolant and replacing the thermostat and coolant temp sensor, but not refilling and burping the system.
The Thermostat, and temp sensor are optional.
http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/thermect.php

You won't need to refill with water, as this covers draining the block, and this will remove about 95% of the coolant in the system.

To refill, make sure your drains are closed, and everything is bolted up if you changed your thermostat.
Next take some coolant (There are to ways to get it, other than color. Concentrated, or 50/50 PreMix). If you have the premix, then just add it to the bottle, as this car doesn't have a seprate rad cap, until it stops filling. It should take about a gallon or more. If you have the concentrate you need to mix it with 50% water. (Preferably distilled water) Then follow the above directions. The concentrate is more economical. It usually is about a dollar more than the 50/50, but it makes 2 gallons, instead of 1. Once the system is full, start the car with the pressure cap off, and put the car on MAX HEAT, and Face vents, with max fan. Run the car, keeping an eye on the temperature gague. If it goes into the red, shut the car off. If not, keep the car running until you have heat coming out of the vents. During this time, the car will "Burp", so you need to keep checking the coolant level, and topping off. This process usually takes about 15-20 minutes. Once it finishes burping, fill the overflow bottle up to the top of the "F" in full as it will have one more burp that will come out while driving.
Next road test the car, watching the temperature gauge.
If the car stays in the normal range, and you have good heat, then you are ok. Next check the coolant level in the overflow bottle. If it is ok, then you are done.

Let us know how you make out,

Justin

Omegaman you would probably be fine, since the capacity is 7.6 qts and the reservoir is pressurized and you are getting most all of the coolant out through the drains, to dump 3 qts or most all of the anti-freeze concentrate in, top with water and the remainder of your concentrate as you run the engine as Justin explained.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
This covers draining the coolant and replacing the thermostat and coolant temp sensor, but not refilling and burping the system.
The Thermostat, and temp sensor are optional.
http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/thermect.php

You won't need to refill with water, as this covers draining the block, and this will remove about 95% of the coolant in the system.

To refill, make sure your drains are closed, and everything is bolted up if you changed your thermostat.
Next take some coolant (There are to ways to get it, other than color. Concentrated, or 50/50 PreMix). If you have the premix, then just add it to the bottle, as this car doesn't have a seprate rad cap, until it stops filling. It should take about a gallon or more. If you have the concentrate you need to mix it with 50% water. (Preferably distilled water) Then follow the above directions. The concentrate is more economical. It usually is about a dollar more than the 50/50, but it makes 2 gallons, instead of 1. Once the system is full, start the car with the pressure cap off, and put the car on MAX HEAT, and Face vents, with max fan. Run the car, keeping an eye on the temperature gague. If it goes into the red, shut the car off. If not, keep the car running until you have heat coming out of the vents. During this time, the car will "Burp", so you need to keep checking the coolant level, and topping off. This process usually takes about 15-20 minutes. Once it finishes burping, fill the overflow bottle up to the top of the "F" in full as it will have one more burp that will come out while driving.
Next road test the car, watching the temperature gauge.
If the car stays in the normal range, and you have good heat, then you are ok. Next check the coolant level in the overflow bottle. If it is ok, then you are done.

Let us know how you make out,

Justin

Let me get this straight, so after I am done draining the system, I fill the expansion tank to full, I then start the car with the cover off (wont the coolant shoot out?) Then as the car is still running I keep adding more coolant?

That's about it. coolant should not shoot out, at least not till the engine fully warms up and the thermostat opens and even then should just maybe over flow a little and not shoot out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back