How serious is a p145c in a 2012 Honda Civic?

generally, if you have a CEL with no drivability problems, you can drive that sucker for the rest of the vehicle's life with no ill effects.

I could be wrong but I don't know how the part you replaced would affect either of those.
A malfunctioning purge valve can cause many a drivability complaint
Think of it as an intermittent major vacuum leak, that can cause a severe lean (or rich) condition, letting in fuel vapor when unwanted, sticking open/closed/partial
Very common on late model Ford's, they've only revised the part 6 times
If it's original or I suspect it, I'll throw the $30 and 2 minutes it takes to change before getting out the smoke machine

They fail just that often

Shame Honda is going down that road too

generally, if you have a CEL with no drivability problems, you can drive that sucker for the rest of the vehicle's life with no ill effects.
You can, but should you?
I never much cared for the kicking the can down the road mentality
But then I've got an emissions inspection to pass every year, so I'm forced to keep up with my vehicle 👀

A check engine light on CAN mean
  • No remote start (GM)
  • No VSC/Traction Control (Toyota)
  • An annoying chime (Ford)
  • No cruise control (Toyota/Subaru)
  • Lack of pending codes/drive cycle monitors, so future problems will be harder to diagnose
  • Do you wanna buy a used car with the light on?
The days of the MIL being an emissions only tattle are long gone, and the longer you put it off, the more difficult it's gonna be IMO

You can, but should you?
I never much cared for the kicking the can down the road mentality
But then I've got an emissions inspection to pass every year, so I'm forced to keep up with my vehicle 👀

A check engine light on CAN mean
  • No remote start (GM)
  • No VSC/Traction Control (Toyota)
  • An annoying chime (Ford)
  • No cruise control (Toyota/Subaru)
  • Lack of pending codes/drive cycle monitors, so future problems will be harder to diagnose
  • Do you wanna buy a used car with the light on?
The days of the MIL being an emissions only tattle are long gone, and the longer you put it off, the more difficult it's gonna be IMO

I spent my 40 years of my life getting paid to fix other peoples sh t, and I'm here to tell you that you can drive the car with the lite on if it doesn't have driveability issues... basically any CEL is telling you that you have a problem in the circuitry going to any one of the various sensors..

if it is a inspection you have to pass, that is your problem but it isn't hurting the car in this case.

It is also worth pointing out you can have some serious electronic or drivability issues without having a CEL illuminated, simply because the only thing a sensor is actually telling a ECM is that the return voltage is out of whack. For example a sensor can be totally out of whack and have erratic signal returns, but as long as those signals don't fall outside normal parameter, that ECM wont see it as a problem.. but the driver may feel it..

So the engineers might program it so you can't use the cruise control, or learn to ignore the ding, or have to use the gas pedal because the cruise may not function.

The original question was will it hurt anything, and my answer is valid... the stuff you mention is the way the engineers " induce" the end user to get it fixed, otherwise the end user can drive the car for the rest of their life without noticing any ill effects. the purge canister handles evaporative emissions, and you might be harming the environment but you aren't harming the engine. .. :)

Kinda like most cars the tail light circuit and the dash circuit are one and the same.... so if the fuse blows and the car has no taillights, the average person who never checks their tail lights will "eventually" notice the dash lites are out.. :)

Last edited:
Back