How serious is a p145c in a 2012 Honda Civic?

Code just popped this morning. Checked the gas cap. Seal looks in great shape.

Oriellys says possible Evap Purge Valve Failure. They also said they aren't new codes if that makes any sense. However engine runs fine and exhaust smells normal. I'm a bit confused right now.

You didn't say which motor so I guessed and according to my Prodemand, yes that code points to the evap valve - easy repair and cheap. I would just do it. The graph of top solutions to the fault was replace the valve. It is not a serious issue at this time.

You didn't say which motor so I guessed and according to my Prodemand, yes that code points to the evap valve - easy repair and cheap. I would just do it. The graph of top solutions to the fault was replace the valve. It is not a serious issue at this time.
1.8l

Pretty sure that's the same EVAP fault I had on our '12 Civic, same engine. I got a Japanese-made valve (in an SMP box) from O'Reilly to replace. You can buy the part locally and if you do, take it out of the box and check it before buying it. If it's made in Japan, Taiwan, or USA, take it.

Changing it wasn't bad, just kinda buried under the windshield cowl and behind the TB and air intake piping, as I recall. Check the intake piping while you're there. It tends to tear. Replacements directly from Honda are real cheap.

I purchased a new valve from NAPA. I can look into the TB behind the valve cover and see it clear as day. I'm only lacking a 8mm 1/4 drive socket. Going to borrow one from a family member tomorrow and get at it.

Arrgh I hate surprises. Got the valve loose but the the vacuum hose acted like it was baked onto the old part so I had to put it back together and run and get a pick set and also an 8mm wrench since my socket and ratchet didn't have much clearance.

I gave up. Much of my time was spent trying to free the vacuum hose that attaches to the valve. No luck. I'm going to let my aunts friend do it. Retired Honda tech.

That works. If aunts friend is busy you can buy a pick set for about $2 if you have a harbor freight near you. Just push one that fits it in and move it around. Once it creates a gap pull and twist or spray a little wd40 or soap water or windex in gap and twist and it should pull off ez. Also often easier to do other end of hose first if in tight quarters, remove valve with hose attached and then remove hose when part and hose are off and you have easy access

if the hose is really hardened just cut it to get the old valve out and replace the hose too

I purchased a new valve from NAPA. I can look into the TB behind the valve cover and see it clear as day. I'm only lacking a 8mm 1/4 drive socket. Going to borrow one from a family member tomorrow and get at it.
FYI, Advanced Discount Auto Parts and some of the other auto parts stores will loan you tools.

But I agree, you need your own set. The 1/4" socket sets from HF are pretty cheap and mine is decent quality. Yes, i know you lost yours. But 8mm is a frequently used size and you need to have one. Besides if you're like me you'll soon lose the 10mm and the 15mm before long anyway. :oops:

Back