How many of you consider yourselves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...aftermarket guru's?

I consider myself an aftermarket guru! Not in every catigory such as TRUCKS or diesels. I don't know lift kits and roll bars, grill gurads and mud tires, etc. I leave that for those who know!

I know, or should I say, I have an opinion on(IMHO) many aftermarket replacement parts such as battery's, tires, brakes, tune-up parts, detail products, trouble shooting etc. Things that friends/family, neighbors can ask me with confidence. Maybe even where to take your vehicle without feeling cheated on repairs.

How about the rest of you folks, what's your forte'?

Last edited:
I know a good amount about turbo Subies. I have opinions on general maintenance and the such. I feel that some people come to me, not because they can't research the answer themselves, but because if I don't know the answer I'll make sure to find it. I try not to talk out of my butt when I don't know what the correct answer is (which happens often haha)

Last edited:
"Knowledgeable" is how I'd rate myself. I'm not a guru, although I do appear to be one to family and friends with car problems.

I'm mostly satisfied with the lowest common denominator. If I've been burned, like with tin plated Wells ignition parts, I'll remember that for life.
lol.gif

I've got my fetishes though, like using copper spark plugs even when platinums were originally spec'd.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
"Knowledgeable" is how I'd rate myself. I'm not a guru, although I do appear to be one to family and friends with car problems.

That's it! Others catigorize me as a guru more than I should of myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm mostly satisfied with the lowest common denominator. If I've been burned, like with tin plated Wells ignition parts, I'll remember that for life.
lol.gif

I've got my fetishes though, like using copper spark plugs even when platinums were originally spec'd.

Doesn't your latest car have a transverse V-6? Copper on the front and platinum on the back in that case?
My Neon specs copper and they were actually worn when I changed them this spring after about 30k miles.

i dont think iam a expert on carburetors, but i think i know enough to not only overhaul one but mod one as well. all so i figured out how to correctly calculate the percent of change on a carter AFB. the short story is of you change both the rod and the jet, you cant guess at the change. i have two computer programs that does the math. one is for a commodore, another is for PCs. i wrote the one for commodores, my son wrote the one for PCs, that will run in any web browser.

I have two degrees in automotive technology and teach an engineering level class on high performance engine preparation. Plus 20 years experience. Like others here if I don't know the answer to a question I research it, I don't pull it out of my butt.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
I don't pull it out of my butt.

A PhD is required for such an action.

I love performance after market parts. As far as OE parts like water pumps, timing belts, etc. I like to stick with OE.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

X2.

My knowledge in this area is pretty specialized...I know a lot about what can be done with Rangers, Explorers, 1967+ F-Series trucks, full size Broncos and some other Fords. I'm also pretty familiar with GM and Chrysler/Jeep light trucks. Outside of that realm my knowledge varies lol.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I'm a jack of all things and an ace of none. What do you want to know?
grin2.gif

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, over the last 29 years I have been in my house, I have tackeled my share of projects such as finishing the family room, electrical, plumbing, flooring, patio/deck/concrete/wood, windows/sliding glass doors etc.

to:01rangerxl iam a chrysler guy have owned 15-20 mopars. and i AM BIAS. but years ago my uncle had a 1969 ford f-100 or f-150, it did real good, it handled much better than i thought it would. one time at work a guy started to tell me the things that was wrong with chrysler cars. i stoped him and said I can tell YOU MORE things that are wrong with chryslers than you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back