How long will it take to clean the engine out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Corolla that ran conventional 5W-30 in for roughly 200,000km. It was serviced at the dealer every 5000km for the first 140,000km or so (I know the recommendation was 8000km), and then went to a Meineke shop and was serviced every 8000km up to the 180,000km mark.

Then I started changing my own oil again (used to do it years ago on my first cars), and for the last two changes I put in Amsoil OE 5W-30. For the first change, I dropped it at a little less than 4000km. Amsoil recommends that for high mile engines (can't remember the number of miles) that have never had synthetic, it should be considered 'severe duty' for the first change. Before I dropped the oil, it was pretty dirty, and had dropped a little on the stick (maybe an eighth of an inch). It also smelt a bit burnt.

On the second filling of Amsoil, I have run the equivalent of maybe 4500km (figuring some extended idling time) and the oil is getting dark and smells burnt (same as the first time) and the level is down about an eighth again.

None of this concerns me so far. I figure that my engine was not as clean as I had thought. Maybe the oil at Meineke was not top notch, as it was only $20? For that matter, I don't really know what the dealer was using either.

It seems to me the Amsoil is cleaning the deposits out of the engine. I have some new oil ordered; hopefully it will be here Monday or Tuesday, and I can get some fresh stuff in there. My concern is the filter (as an aside, I am using Wix) at this point - they are not very big on the Corolla.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Anyone want to venture a guess on how long it might take my engine to clean up a bit so my oil doesn't look quite so dirty this quickly?

Last edited:
You're overly concerned. Down 1/8"? In 3000 miles/4500 KM? So, it's not burning oil at all. Amsoil might be cleaning it, but it can't be that dirty if you've been doing the maintenance you claim. So, keep running the Amsoil, change it on time, and don't worry about the smell or color, they're not reliable indicators.

As an aside, here's what happens to Corolla engines that are run on cheap oil...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2633310/1

Of course, that was at about 90,000 miles. It has 140,000 on it now...

Last edited:
I agree!
I don't really think your engine is "dirty" per/say! The Amsoil may just be cleaning out some very light "smudge" per/say, inside the engine. Or, the Amsoil itself is just darkening more than the other oils during the OCI run. I mean, this could take forever!
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
You're overly concerned. Down 1/8"? In 3000 miles/4500 KM? So, it's not burning oil at all. Amsoil might be cleaning it, but it can't be that dirty if you've been doing the maintenance you claim. So, keep running the Amsoil, change it on time, and don't worry about the smell or color, they're not reliable indicators.

As an aside, here's what happens to Corolla engines that are run on cheap oil...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2633310/1

Of course, that was at about 90,000 miles. It has 140,000 on it now...

Oh no!
grin.gif

Most of the engines I have switched to synthetic have "cleaned" in 4-5 oil change intervals of 4-5000 miles.

Being one to guess over concern. How do you know is the engine is {dirty} Pull the valve cover off and take a look .

I switched my 2006 GM 2.2 ecotec to synthetic oil 2.5 years ago. I ran 8,500 mile oil and filter intervals. The oil did darken quickly and it appeared to be removing a jelly like substance for the engine. It appeared to finish "cleaning" the engine after 20,000 miles. Don't be worried, if anything you are over maintaining that engine.

Unless you let the oil run low on any of those intervals, have some mechanical issues with your engine, or let it idle for extended periods and take very short trips each day, it has a 99.99% of being clean, which means you're wasting money changing expensive Amsoil at such short intervals.

As has been mentioned, the only way to tell would be to pull the valve cover and drop the pan to see how much sludge and varnish you have.

Sounds normal; I have switched several older vehicles to Amsoil, which does seem to darken more quickly than other brands in that situation.

So your vehicle was dealer serviced every 5000km (3100mi), then every 8000km (5000mi) at Meineke? Those are very easy intervals.

Now that you've done a couple of severe intervals with Amsoil, IMO you can easily go 10000km (6200mi) with that oil without any worries whatsoever, and likely a LOT further if you wanted to. Since the oil filter is so small you may want to consider an Amsoil filter as well, which will be rated to go more than 20000km.

Last edited:
Greetings to my fellow Canadians, and to all:

Thanks to all for your quick responses. I was looking for some assurance that all was well, and I have gotten that.

Originally Posted By: HK45
I have a 2005 Corolla that ran conventional 5W-30 in for roughly 200,000km. It was serviced at the dealer every 5000km for the first 140,000km or so (I know the recommendation was 8000km), and then went to a Meineke shop and was serviced every 8000km up to the 180,000km mark.

Then I started changing my own oil again (used to do it years ago on my first cars), and for the last two changes I put in Amsoil OE 5W-30. For the first change, I dropped it at a little less than 4000km. Amsoil recommends that for high mile engines (can't remember the number of miles) that have never had synthetic, it should be considered 'severe duty' for the first change. Before I dropped the oil, it was pretty dirty, and had dropped a little on the stick (maybe an eighth of an inch). It also smelt a bit burnt.

On the second filling of Amsoil, I have run the equivalent of maybe 4500km (figuring some extended idling time) and the oil is getting dark and smells burnt (same as the first time) and the level is down about an eighth again.

None of this concerns me so far. I figure that my engine was not as clean as I had thought. Maybe the oil at Meineke was not top notch, as it was only $20? For that matter, I don't really know what the dealer was using either.

It seems to me the Amsoil is cleaning the deposits out of the engine. I have some new oil ordered; hopefully it will be here Monday or Tuesday, and I can get some fresh stuff in there. My concern is the filter (as an aside, I am using Wix) at this point - they are not very big on the Corolla.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Anyone want to venture a guess on how long it might take my engine to clean up a bit so my oil doesn't look quite so dirty this quickly?

You've used conventional for 200,000 km's and then you decide to switch to synthetic....why Amzoil? Not that it's a bad oil or anything but why not something like Pennzoil Platinum which is pretty effective in cleaning and you can get it for cheaper when it goes on special at CanTire. I want to be clear that I am not slamming Amzoil I'm just wondering with that many km's why not a cheaper alternative?

Different engines and driving patterns cause the oil to darken/smell faster.

My civic will keep the oil pretty new-looking (golden/amber in color) for about 6500 miles and then it darkens rapidly. I have done a UOA at 8000 before though and Blackstone said it was safe to push the oil out to 10,000 which is the OCI I'm using now. My mother's Odyssey however makes the oil go dark pretty quickly after a change, less than 2000 miles. Again, UOA shows that the oil is still plenty good at that point and it would be a waste to change it.

If you're really concerned then send off a sample to be analyzed! Its the only real way to be sure.

Last edited:
OP have you looked into any additives? If you are looking to speed up the cleaning process of any potential sludge / contaminants in the motor you could always look into things like minute motor flushes, Riselone, Marvel Mystery Oil etc. Do some research. There are a lot of good cleaning additives out there.

Sounds like the engine has been well maintained in the past and, even using bulk dino, should be in pretty good shape.

So I wouldn't worry about accelerating the cleaning process with additives.

Keep up the regular changes and everything will be fine.

I'd be putting PYB in that old Corolla though and save a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
You've used conventional for 200,000 km's and then you decide to switch to synthetic....why Amzoil? Not that it's a bad oil or anything but why not something like Pennzoil Platinum which is pretty effective in cleaning and you can get it for cheaper when it goes on special at CanTire. I want to be clear that I am not slamming Amzoil I'm just wondering with that many km's why not a cheaper alternative?

I won't argue with you regarding cost. If I was concerned about cost, I would probably stick with conventional oil. I am guessing I can't give you a reasonable explanation as to why I use Amsoil on an old motor, other than I like the company, and I have fun putting their oil in my car.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
OP have you looked into any additives? If you are looking to speed up the cleaning process of any potential sludge / contaminants in the motor you could always look into things like minute motor flushes, Riselone, Marvel Mystery Oil etc. Do some research. There are a lot of good cleaning additives out there.

No, I have not looked into additives. I am pretty happy with what the others have said that what I am seeing is not a problem, and might even improve a bit. If anything, I would get a sample taken, and go from there. At some point it might be fun to run a bypass filter system and see how far I could extend the OCI.

If your pleased with Amsoil, that's all it takes.

Everyone here is fond of one oil or another.

Also, welcome to the site.

Stay with us and I believe you'll find BITOG very informative.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
If your pleased with Amsoil, that's all it takes.

Everyone here is fond of one oil or another.

Also, welcome to the site.

Stay with us and I believe you'll find BITOG very informative.

Agree ^

Anyways HK45 welcome to the board, my Corolla has about 340K KM on it I would be happy to share with you how I addressed/minimized common engine problems associated with 1.8vvti engine to quite an extent successfully... let me know!

You may want to try the Fram ULTRA XG 4386 (or similar)

It has the exact same specs as the stock filter, except a bit longer.

You can use a 2002 Camry 2.4L as a reference when picking a filter. It will fit your car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back